Wedding Woes

Thursday

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited March 2017 in Wedding Woes
Yesterday ended up being...something.  It was my day off.  I ran to the store and then to get a pedi.  

I had arranged to help my sister out with getting her kids because my parents are on vacation in Mexico (BIL is deployed and mom and dad stay with her during the week to help).  Of course, it was a cluster since I'm like, the third, different person getting her kids this week.  But my 1 year old nephew didn't cry when I picked him up, so that was a win.  

We were at my older nephew's school when I look down at DefConn and realize his right eye is red and has green gooey shit oozing out in the corner.  I was going to stay so my sister could take older nephew to karate and leave the baby home, but I was all, "I gotta go and you don't want me to stay. Deuces!" when she walked in.  

Went to medcheck.  Yup, pink eye.  Drop DefConn and home and run to the pharmacy...grabbing some vodka and stuff to mix it with along with those eye drops, because of course.  DefConn woke up at 4:45a and both eyes were crusty, so yay.  I didn't really go to sleep after that either.

I've been parenting for 13 years now and I've never dealt with pink eye.  I didn't have it as a kid either.  Pink eye, like lice and puking, gives me the 'fear'.  So now my eyes are sympathy itching.  I hope I don't get it.  I've never looked at my eyes so intensely, so many times...ever.  Also, my hands are probably going to be chapped by the end of the day with the obsessive washing. 

In other news, the main guy from that company that has been pursuing DH asked for him to come in today to sit down and chat.  So, we'll see if anything comes of it.  

The word of the day is coffeeeeee...until 5 and then it's all about some evening drinks.  ;) 

ETA:  My child got a slap bracelet from the medcheck place last night. I've heard nothing but *snap!* (rollout) *snap!* (rollout) for about 20 min now.   Pray for me? 

Re: Thursday

• OMG yes.  Pink eye is a straight up "mothafuckin snakes on the mothafucking plane" scenario.  I don't think DS has ever had it.  (So I probably just jinxed it.)  Wooz has had it a couple of times.  I had it once, in like kindergarten, and that was plenty.  And so much yes on the sympathy itching.  If I read your post for one more minute, my eyes are going to start itching.  Good luck.

I have to swing by Wooz's school on my lunch hour.  The PTA does a fundraiser every year, where each class has a theme, makes a basket with that theme, and then the baskets are raffled off.  Room parents "get" to organize them for their respective classes.  I can't complain, Wooz's class has been great.  Our theme is "Lego (girls)" and most parents have just been sending cash, so it looks like Wooz and I are going shopping this weekend.  But there have been a few physical items donated, so I'm going to pick those up today, since tomorrow is a teacher work day. 

Met Lawn Guy #1 yesterday, and he showed up with a clipboard bearing a Trump-Pence bumper sticker.  Am I shallow if I go with Lawn Guy #2?  I'm not meeting him until tonight, but assuming he doesn't have a swastika tattooed on his forehead, I think he's got the edge here.  Landscape architect is coming Saturday a.m., and I am psyched.  We have YUGE plans for the backyard, but we're going to have to do it in phases.  Phase 1 is just going to be leveling (finally) and building retaining walls.  But the firepit is coming, y'all.  Year round smores!
  • I have cramps like a mutha fucka and want to die.

@mrsconn23 I hope defconn gets well soon. I remember having pink eye as a kid and thinking it was no big deal. In fact, it was my go-to for faking sick because my mom was a nurse but my dad freaked out if I said my eye was itchy, lol.

I ended up meeting folks for drinks last night. I walked over (about a 20min stroll), it turned out to be ladies night so free drinks!, and taxied home for about 3$. I would call that a win. 

Tonight was was supposed to be girls' night but that bar sucks and one girl wasn't feeling well so we are doing beers and games here. I am So thankful.
  • Pink eye is the worst. I had it as a kid, it definitely goes away in a few days. But H got it this summer (how the hell he got it when we didn't know anyone in Ohio yet is beyond me), and it was terrible. I wouldn't let him touch anything without santitizing it, and he slept in the guest room. My eyes are itching just thinking about it. 

Sounds like you're having a great time there @missJeanLouise (besides the cramps, that's terrible). 

Today we're doing house projects. We have curtains to hang, stuff to organize, a chandelier to hang; exciting stuff. And I'm trying not to think about the fact that I still haven't heard anything from the job. How long do you wait before you follow up (then didn't give me a timeline of when I'd hear something)?
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    This morning has gone to shit and I just want to start over. 
  • Good gracious, y'all.  FB just notified me that it's my uncle (by marriage)'s birthday today.  I unfollowed him years ago, but I figured I would post a birthday wish to his wall. 

He is sharing posts from a group called Trump's Deplorables.  ("DO YOU STILL STAND WITH SESSIONS? COMMENT YES AND SHARE IF YOU DO!")  He's sharing petitions to boycott Beauty and the Beast due to its "gay moment."  Anti-immigration, anti-choice, anti-Muslim...I cannot even.

The anti-Muslim bothers me particularly.  My brother just converted.  His FI is Muslim.  Her whole family is Muslim.  He's my brother's godfather, he's invited to the wedding...  IDK, maybe he'll go and then have an a-ha moment and realize he's being a jerk.  But in my brother's shoes, I would be seriously tempted to not invite him. 
  • @mrsconn23  I never had pink eye, and then somehow got it back in November. I had a pretty bad case and still had zero clue :') Even now, my eyes get slightly more itchy than "normal" and I'm fearing for getting it again!

@Heffalump  I wouldn't judge if you went with Lawn Guy #2 - I would do the same. "You're into Trump? Nope!"

@missJeanLouise  boo cramps :( ALL THE FREE DRINKS!!! :D 

@charlotte989875  I typically wait a week, week and half depending on the situation.
    Also wanna come hang stuff at my place? Avoiding like a plague.

@6fsn  hugs <3

Not much last night. Both M and I had zero motivation to make dinner, so he had chips and I had Capt'n Crunch. Then buzzed his hair and cleaned his face lol! He bitched this morning that his head was cold because he has no insulation :P 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ew pink eye is so gross!  I feel for you @mrsconn23

@Heffalump - I would pick lawn guy #2 for sure and not feel bad about it.  Share pics as your yard is getting a makeover!  

@charlotte989875 - did you send a thank you note to anyone you interviewed with?  

@thefanciestbeckler - I am proud of you!!  (That's what me and my workout buddy say to each other when we have a good workout of lose a few pounds).  10 pounds is great.  You probably feel better overall too.

Yesterday was good.  Even though my stomach was killing me (old ulcer hurts and my stomach feels like knives when I am stressed), I went to my workout classes.  I feel good about that.

Today I am working from home and ready for the weekend to start.  We are supposed to get snow this weekend which bums me out because my outdoor flowers have already started to bloom.  

• @Ro041, yes I sent a handwritten thank you right away (mailed the same day), and the interview was February 25, so a week and a half ago. 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think I waited a few weeks (maybe 3?) before following up.  It's so hard to know when to reach back out!

• Thank you @Ro041!! I do feel so much better over all. It's nice to feel like I have enough energy to get through the day again. I'm sorry you've been having stomach pain!

• edited March 2017
    It's been a rough week. A good friend passed away on Tuesday and I found out by a facebook post. I think I'm still in shock, but her family allowed me to come to the hospital and I was able to see her and say my goodbyes. I'm so thankful that I was able to because my trip is tomorrow and I will miss the services. I hate that I won't be able to attend, but her family wants me to go because she always wanted to go to Europe.

She collected turtles and they gave me one her hers. It's a beautiful wooden carved turtle and I'm going to take it with me to Ireland so a small part of her gets to go. Her family wants me to take pictures of the turtle on the Cliff when I visit.

She was so awesome and funny and I can't believe we have known each other for 20 years. We lost touch for a few years, but reconnected when she moved near me and we picked up right where we left off. Don't you love when that happens?

She had colon cancer at 41. So young. She had a allergic reaction to the chemo meds and could not be resuscitated. Knowing her, she would say, "Can you believe the chemo drugs killed me and not the darn colon cancer. I think her body was tired and her mom said that Friday she met with her doctor and the news wasn't good. She didn't tell her Mom what he said. Her Mom thinks she went this way to spare her family seeing her deteriorate so fast.

She motivates me to live the best life I can and continue to enjoy every day the Lord blesses me with.
  • I'm so sorry, @NOLABridesmaid. All the hugs!
  • I'm so sorry for your loss, @NOLABridesmaid. I can tell from your heartfelt post how much she meant to you, and I am sure she also knew how much you cared for her. She will always be with you. 
  • Boo to pink eye, @mrsconn23! I remember the first year I started teaching, I caught it for the first time in 25 years. Hope DefConn feels better soon!

I'm home with some kind of respiratory bug today. Moose has been keeping me company. I managed to avoid being sick all winter, and now I get sick. WTF.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    Oh @NOLABridesmaid I am so very sorry for your loss. The turtle is sweet. Prayers for you and her family. 
  • I am so incredibly sorry for your loss @NOLABridesmaid. A friendship like that is special and rare. It's so sweet that you got that turtle. A part of her will always be with you. Praying for you and for the family. 

• Oh no, @NOLABridesmaid. I am so very sorry.  Peace and comfort to you and her family. 
  • Oh, NOLA, I'm so sorry.  Hugs.
  • I had pink eye once in college and once a few years post-college. Still makes my eyes itch thinking about it although at least now I think there are over the counter meds

sorry to hear about your friend @NOLABridesmaid
  • Just talked to M about his interview.
    Definite good vibes! His salary is well within the budget and HR said she'll be asking for higher end of what he's asking. So that's a bonus :)

We won't know until week of 20ths, so fingers crossed! :)
  • Ack! Just refreshed, @NOLABridesmaid  sorry to hear <3 
  • So sorry for your loss @NOLABridesmaid. I'm glad you two got to have dinner recently. All the good thoughts to you and her family. 
  • @NOLABridesmaid I'm so sorry, she sounds absolutely terrific.  And despite  missing her formal service, there's nothing to stop you from holding your own private vigil when you're in Europe.  Find a place she would have loved and pray, laugh, cry, whatever you do to commemorate her.

The office is officially out of power until Monday.  I had to go in to take care of a few things for a large delivery we're working on and it's creepy AF there.  The storms here registered the strongest wind at 70; hurricane winds start at 74.  And the tree is still down.  With over 600,000 people without power, this is probably the new norm.

Tonight MIL is coming over for dinner and specified "nothing fancy, spicy, or with alcohol; bland food is fine."  She once complained that my food is too fancy.  You weren't complaining when I made a fish specifically for you during lent when the rest of us ate pork.  

She's been a roller coaster since her father died and I'm sincerely worried about her.  One minute she's angry and not coming, another she's in hysterics and coming, another she's acting like it's Tuesday and why bother.  It turns out family was invited to the funeral, she's choosing not to go in protest of him being buried in his wife's plots (as opposed to her moms).  She did tell H she would like "the two of them" to drive there sometime this summer.  He's still pretty mad at/annoyed with her so he doesn't want to go.  At the same time, when I'm the one putting my foot down that she's coming over for dinner, it clearly isn't time to argue with me!

But H and I are happy; we found an original print of his grandpa's first book for $5.00 on eBay and it was delivered yesterday!

@Heffalump I'd go with guy 2 too.  If you'd rather not separate your business from your politics, you risk alienating customers who disagree/oppose your choices.

@mrsconn23 Just keep washing those hands before you sympathy eye rub!  Pink eye is the worst!

@charlotte989875 just call; there's nothing to lose unless you're calling every other day or something crazy.
  • @kimmiinthemitten what kind of book(s) did his grandpa write?
  • edited March 2017
    kvruns said:
    @kimmiinthemitten what kind of book(s) did his grandpa write?
    Gardening:).  Edited to delete a potential overshare.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss @NOLABridesmaid.

That sucks about the pink eye @mrsconn23.  I got it once and it was miserable. My brother had it first and he was the worst about touching fucking everything around the house.  I tried so hard not to get it. I used separate towels, I lysoled surfaces and door handles before I touched them, and I still fucking got it. Goldenseal tea helps too.  You brew it, cool it down, and then apply it using an eye dropper.  

One of SO's employees has pink eye and strep throat right now.  Now that's a bad day.

Today I'm trying to write a paper and get some stuff done around the house.  I wanted to go cash in my birthday gift certificate to Benihana's, but SO thinks he'll be too tired to go tonight.  Boo.   

• So sorry @NOLABridesmaid.  Hugs to you.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    This school redistricting is getting OUT OF CONTROL.  People on the committee are getting threats.  People are snatching up "cheap" land so they have several options when the final result comes in. I can' wait until it's over.  Too many people with too much time and money.