Attire & Accessories Forum

Wear or not wear a blusher?

My parents just had their 35th wedding anniversary this month! I am planning on wearing my mother's veil for my wedding ceremony this spring. Her veil has a longer fingertip length portion and a blusher portion, both attached on the same clip. I can't decide whether to wear the blusher over my face or not? My mom wore the blusher over her face at her wedding. When I started wedding planning a year ago, I liked the idea of the blusher and the fact that my groom would be the first person to see the full me when the blusher was lifted up. Now I am not so sure. I think I might look prettier walking down the aisle if I don't have the blusher on. I am just really torn. Would it look weird if i just wore the blusher in the back and didn't put it over my face even though the veil has two portions? 

I also don't know much about the history or tradition of the blusher? The reason that I mentioned above along with the fact that my mom wore it are the reasons I originally was considering it. I recently heard it was used to symbolize purity..my fiancé and I have been together for 5 years and have lived together the past 2 so I don't want to give people the wrong impression.... thoughts?

Re: Wear or not wear a blusher?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    My parents just had their 35th wedding anniversary this month! I am planning on wearing my mother's veil for my wedding ceremony this spring. Her veil has a longer fingertip length portion and a blusher portion, both attached on the same clip. I can't decide whether to wear the blusher over my face or not? My mom wore the blusher over her face at her wedding. When I started wedding planning a year ago, I liked the idea of the blusher and the fact that my groom would be the first person to see the full me when the blusher was lifted up. Now I am not so sure. I think I might look prettier walking down the aisle if I don't have the blusher on. I am just really torn. Would it look weird if i just wore the blusher in the back and didn't put it over my face even though the veil has two portions? 

I also don't know much about the history or tradition of the blusher? The reason that I mentioned above along with the fact that my mom wore it are the reasons I originally was considering it. I recently heard it was used to symbolize purity..my fiancé and I have been together for 5 years and have lived together the past 2 so I don't want to give people the wrong impression.... thoughts?
    This is what I did at my own wedding.   Veils were very poofy then.   It looked fine.  The blusher can be removed if your Mom is OK with that.
    The blusher tradition is for first time brides, which is what you are.  It does not relate to the state of your hymen.  ;)

PS.  "Purity" and virginity are not the same thing.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • LOL! Okay I like that definition of purity better than what I had in mind. 

We already re-did the veil to put it on a comb because it was originally on an older "cap" style. I chose to leave both portions on when we re-did it because I wanted the option of wearing the blusher. I know my mom wouldn't care if i took the blusher off, but I would hate to take the veil apart and re-do it another time. I also kind of like that it's still very similar to how my mom wore it, minus the cap. I don't want to change it into a completely different veil. 

Another question, we got the veil dry cleaned (since it is 35 years old and all) and it is now very white after the cleaning. My dress is ivory. Will the white veil and ivory dress clash? Should we try to get more color on the veil somehow? 

We already re-did the veil to put it on a comb because it was originally on an older "cap" style. I chose to leave both portions on when we re-did it because I wanted the option of wearing the blusher. I know my mom wouldn't care if i took the blusher off, but I would hate to take the veil apart and re-do it another time. I also kind of like that it's still very similar to how my mom wore it, minus the cap. I don't want to change it into a completely different veil. 

Another question, we got the veil dry cleaned (since it is 35 years old and all) and it is now very white after the cleaning. My dress is ivory. Will the white veil and ivory dress clash? Should we try to get more color on the veil somehow? 
    I wouldn't worry about this personally.  I think that most veils are sheer enough that you can't entirely tell anyway.  As for how you wear it, I would just try it on at some point and see how it looks all pulled back. 

My veil was white and DD's dress was an ivory but very pale. No one could tell the difference.

My veil was white and DD's dress was an ivory but very pale. No one could tell the difference.
    Sorry, I'm still learning all the lingo. What is DD? 

Dear Daughter

This list is hardly extensive, but may offer a jump start on some of the acronyms.....
    http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1058647/knottie-acronyms#latest

• If you want a blusher then go for it, if not, it really won't look odd to not have it pulled over yet simply laying with the veil in back.  Don't overthink it!
  • I know this is a tish old, but really something to consider:
    A co-worker of mine just had a PPD  and she wore the blusher for her  reenactment I mean...wedding. And she said it was awful to wear one with fake eyelashes. I mean, I don't know how long her lashes were, but I suppose that could be a valid thought too. But it is only a few minutes. 
    A co-worker of mine just had a PPD  and she wore the blusher for her  reenactment I mean...wedding. And she said it was awful to wear one with fake eyelashes. I mean, I don't know how long her lashes were, but I suppose that could be a valid thought too. But it is only a few minutes. 
    I'm cracking up at the image of a blusher getting stuck on false eyelashes.
    I'm cracking up at the image of a blusher getting stuck on false eyelashes.
    I sure hope there's a GIF somewhere for that.
  • The covering of your face is also a Jewish tradition - from Jacob marrying Leah instead of Rachel. 
    #funfacts