Attire & Accessories Forum

Would You Take It?

If a clothing company offered to supply all of your wedding party clothing, for free, as well as a *significant* discount to all of your guests (for their attire) in exchange for using some of your wedding photos as promotional material, would you take it?  Are there etiquette rules about letting 3rd parties use your photos?  I mean photographers typically reserve the rights to all their photos, including submitting weddings to websites and such as promotional material, so I guess it's not that different?

This is a thing that is happening to me, and my photographer was like "Yep, they can have all my photos as long as they credit me" which I will make certain is part of the contract.  I've just never heard of this before, but it would be a really great deal for our wedding party, all of whom are travelling a far piece to attend as is.  I would love to have all their attire be free for them.  I've already purchased a dress, but FI's outfit would be free too, which would be pretty rad.

We haven't agreed to anything yet, as I just spoke to their regional manager today and he wanted to get the photographer part sorted (if ours hadn't be ok with them using her photos he was willing to send a photographer himself on behalf of the company).  They've been wanting *actual wedding photos* I guess for like 2 years.  It's a reputable German company, they've been around for 20 years, but they have just launched in North America.  I have seen some of their clothing in person (one of my guests has ordered lots of items from them and just loves their stuff, that's how I discovered them) so I don't feel uncomfortable with any of it based on quality or reputation.

Thoughts?  Is it a terrible idea?  I'm honestly interested in feedback.  I don't want to let "YAY FREE" to cloud my judgement here, LOL.

Re: Would You Take It?

• Would they get each guests' permission to be in marketing photos? That would be my maim concern here. I'd be upset as a guest if my photos were then used in marketing without myou permission.
  • Would they get each guests' permission to be in marketing photos? That would be my maim concern here. I'd be upset as a guest if my photos were then used in marketing without myou permission.
    We haven't really gotten that far.  What I think I would suggest is they pick the photos they like, and since our wedding is smaller (50 people) at that point we would get written permission from whoever is in the photos they selected.  I didn't get the impression that they want dozens of posed pictures, and I feel that for the most part it will be photos of the wedding party itself.  Especially since not all of the guests will be wearing their clothing and that's kind of the whole point.
  • Do you like their clothing, is it something you would want to wear in your wedding? And would it be something your WP members would be comfortable wearing? If you like the style, and you can carefully vet their reputation and contract I don't see why you shouldn't research it more. 
  • Do you like their clothing, is it something you would want to wear in your wedding? And would it be something your WP members would be comfortable wearing? If you like the style, and you can carefully vet their reputation and contract I don't see why you shouldn't research it more. 
    I do, yes.  I plan to get an outfit for our day-after BBQ from them.  The WP members that I have shown seem happy with the selection.  I definitely will make sure the contract is sound and fair, if we decide to go forward.  Thank you for the feedback :smile: