Wedding Reception Forum

Reception music

i live in south Florida having ceremony at church and then the reception in friends backyard which will start about 4:30-5pm. I a,m thinking of hiring this one man band that plays jimmy buffet, island laid back like music. His name is Catfish and is very well known here in Ft. Lauderdale. So he's not your typical wedding dance band. Is this a good idea? Will guest still have a good time not having your typical wedding dance party? 

Re: Reception music

• I think that would be fine, but it just really depends on what type of reception you are aiming for. I have seen the one man band types perform laid back music at bars before and it is really entertaining. So yeah I'd say it'll be real nice laid back background music and will be entertaining. But it's not going to be like everyone out on the dance floor and crazy dance party style. If you're going for the laid back vibe, then I'd think it'll be great for that. 
  • I think that sounds fun!
  • I looooooove Jimmy Buffett so this sounds great! If you're wanting people to dance it's maybe not the most "dance party" music, but if you're only looking for some background music it would be awesome!
  • i live in south Florida having ceremony at church and then the reception in friends backyard which will start about 4:30-5pm. I a,m thinking of hiring this one man band that plays jimmy buffet, island laid back like music. His name is Catfish and is very well known here in Ft. Lauderdale. So he's not your typical wedding dance band. Is this a good idea? Will guest still have a good time not having your typical wedding dance party? 
    Agree with pps. Nice atmosphere/background music? It will be great. But if you're looking for a lot of upbeat dancing, I don't think that will happen.