Wedding Woes

damnit dog. We've had to start crating her when we go out and overnight

which is a whole ball of problems.  Because of her knees, she doesn't seem able to lay comfortably in her crate [so overnight = babygate into bedroom]|

But if we don't crate her, she pees.  And she's not incontinent, it's just that cushings = lets drink copious amounts of liquid!  which, of course, means peeing.
(She's also annoyed when crated or baby-gated into our bedroom that she doesn't have copious amts of water to drink).
So, I've been cleaning the carpet in the living room a LOT.

I sprinkled w/ baking soda to help w/ it, then spray w/ vinegar and vacuum up--repeat.  as well as normal cleaning stuff (natures miracle and the rest)

I sprinkled w/ extra baking soda and then left to shop at meijer...and realized that I forgot to crate her...figured it would be fine.
Guess who peed all over the baking soda?

At least she ate her breakfast today.  Well, she ate yesterday's dinner for breakfast.

Re: damnit dog. We've had to start crating her when we go out and overnight

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Oh no.  Peeing is such a hard issue to deal with.  Can you get a tall puppy pen and keep her in a room without carpet?  What a total bummer.

• Damn :( that just sounds like more hassle than need-be
  • Nature's miracle is great for pet accidents because it has the enzymes that help with the urine. Our dog recently has been struggling with uti's and she peed everywhere when we were out one day. The NM stuff definitely helped. 

Could you maybe train her to use a pet pad indoors so at least the urine is contained in one spot? Or does it seem like the peeing is accidental/unconscious?

• What about getting a belly band for the dog? It'd mean essentially having to change a diaper on your dog but would mean less mess around the house and less cleaning. 
  • What about getting a belly band for the dog? It'd mean essentially having to change a diaper on your dog but would mean less mess around the house and less cleaning. 
    Ooh that's a good idea. I knew someone who had a dog with Cushing's that would use a doggie diaper now that I think of it. Not very glamorous, but neither is cleaning up pee all over the house. Pets are lucky we love them so much. Lol

• levioosa said:
    What about getting a belly band for the dog? It'd mean essentially having to change a diaper on your dog but would mean less mess around the house and less cleaning. 
    Ooh that's a good idea. I knew someone who had a dog with Cushing's that would use a doggie diaper now that I think of it. Not very glamorous, but neither is cleaning up pee all over the house. Pets are lucky we love them so much. Lol
    urg yes lol
  • levioosa said:
    What about getting a belly band for the dog? It'd mean essentially having to change a diaper on your dog but would mean less mess around the house and less cleaning. 
    I hadn't heard of them until I started following a terrier group on FB. A lot of the owners with senior dogs or dogs that are just plain difficult to housebreak use them I've seen. They're also helpful if you have dogs that like to mark around the house. 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    I have a vast collection of belly bands and doggie diapers.  They are a God send, but really only if it's a small dog.  Larger dogs just pee right through them. 

ETA - we foster dogs.  I don't just have a weird fascination with dog incontinence.  Ha.

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2017
    we don't really have a good place to crate her--small house it's either carpet (our carpet is old and crappy at least?  we're not replacing until she's gone) or hardwood/fake hardwood.
    But I will look at bellybands/diapers-thanks.  She's 50# so kinda big for one--I'm sure *someone makes them though.
    (I don't think she's trainable to a pee pads--she's really not very bright and...I think her mind may be going.)

The Mr. and I have moved on from the "well, this decision will have to be made soon" and had to start the "Is it time now?" discussion (because it's clearly more than just peeing. SHe is having SO much trouble getting around.  SHe needs help moving from laying to standing at least 50% of the time.  And at least 50% of the time, her food sits untouched for a few hours--which isn't normal for her.).
    We're working on making sure this doesn't happen while the kiddo is in TX over spring break, no matter what.
    But adulting sucks.
     (when IsisElGatoTHeSPlendiferous got to this point it was black and white.  THis one is grayer)