Wedding Etiquette Forum

What do we say?

13»

Re: What do we say?

• banana468 said:
    aurianna said:
    OP.... Did you ever ask her things like "If you cancelled the contracts 8 months ago, why did you send out invitations 8 weeks ago?"

Or since you don't want to keep the friendship going, any chance you can ask her these leading questions? They'll really piss her off but I'm just so curious what she could possibly say to try to explain it.

Sorry I'm being insensitive and turning your lost friendship into entertainment. But inquiring minds want to know.
    Or ask the MIL??  Because at this point, if MIL sent the invitations knowing nothing was going to happen then I'd think that the MIL was also a greedy.....person. 
    I don't know MIL and have only met the husband a few times in passing at other weddings and get togethers. The "secret" is out at this point, and it seems like very few people are still talking to them. I've heard that MIL had no idea they had gotten married, so she offered to send out the invitations as a favor, thinking the couple was just disorganized and had fallen behind schedule. Both "bride" and "groom" knew she was doing this and did not stop her. 

The other unfortunate (but unsurprising) detail is the couple are no longer living together now. Rumor is there was already some dishonesty over finances and other issues causing problems, but now the backlash they've received has created more stress than their relationship can handle. I really do hope they can work it out, because I don't believe either of them have other people to turn to now. 
  • I don't know MIL and have only met the husband a few times in passing at other weddings and get togethers. The "secret" is out at this point, and it seems like very few people are still talking to them. I've heard that MIL had no idea they had gotten married, so she offered to send out the invitations as a favor, thinking the couple was just disorganized and had fallen behind schedule. Both "bride" and "groom" knew she was doing this and did not stop her. 

The other unfortunate (but unsurprising) detail is the couple are no longer living together now. Rumor is there was already some dishonesty over finances and other issues causing problems, but now the backlash they've received has created more stress than their relationship can handle. I really do hope they can work it out, because I don't believe either of them have other people to turn to now. 
    Wow..what an interesting turn of events!
  • banana468 said:
    aurianna said:
    OP.... Did you ever ask her things like "If you cancelled the contracts 8 months ago, why did you send out invitations 8 weeks ago?"

Or since you don't want to keep the friendship going, any chance you can ask her these leading questions? They'll really piss her off but I'm just so curious what she could possibly say to try to explain it.

Sorry I'm being insensitive and turning your lost friendship into entertainment. But inquiring minds want to know.
    Or ask the MIL??  Because at this point, if MIL sent the invitations knowing nothing was going to happen then I'd think that the MIL was also a greedy.....person. 
    I don't know MIL and have only met the husband a few times in passing at other weddings and get togethers. The "secret" is out at this point, and it seems like very few people are still talking to them. I've heard that MIL had no idea they had gotten married, so she offered to send out the invitations as a favor, thinking the couple was just disorganized and had fallen behind schedule. Both "bride" and "groom" knew she was doing this and did not stop her. 

Wow.  So this is just a series of bad decisions.

Dare I ask how old the couple is?   T
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    aurianna said:

Wow.  So this is just a series of bad decisions.

Dare I ask how old the couple is?   T
    We're all 31, I think he might be a year or two older. I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of teens, though.
  • Wow! Yes thank you for the updates. I feel like this is a movie or something bc it's so crazy to be real life people acting this way. 
  • Wow! Yes thank you for the updates. I feel like this is a movie or something bc it's so crazy to be real life people acting this way. 
    She's always been a very impulsive person who has no problem lying to cover her mistakes, but never anything that's inconvenienced so many people at once. She usually gets away with her behavior, so I guess she thought everything would work out this time, too. 
  • This is the saddest thing I have heard. You can't lie to people and expect them to be okay with it. And secrets always come out. It is unfortunate that their marriage is suffering though, no one ever wants that.
  • I know I sound like a horrible person for saying this, but I don't care.  This thread is great, and this couple has no one to blame but themselves for the fallout for their decisions.  I'm glad their friends and family aren't afraid to voice their anger and hurt at the deception.  Hopefully this couple makes it work because no one else should have to put up with them.
    She's always been a very impulsive person who has no problem lying to cover her mistakes, but never anything that's inconvenienced so many people at once. She usually gets away with her behavior, so I guess she thought everything would work out this time, too. 
    Sounds like "impulsive" is a nice word for "unaccountable".   

It's time to face the music princess.