Wedding Woes

Wednesday

Since there isn't a Wednesday post yet, I'm starting one, even though I don't have much going on.  Got a call from the school nurse: Wooz tripped in art class and gave herself a black eye. :\  They said she wasn't crying and didn't break the skin or anything, but apparently it's developing into an impressive shiner. Yay. 

Getting stuff together for the mountain trip.  It's going to be a whirlwind: leave first thing Saturday, meet FIL and his wife, do Grandfather Mountain, go to the cabin (hopefully with a stop at the Mast General Store on the way), hang out a bit, get dinner, and hopefully have time for s'mores and popcorn over the firepit.  (I dug out the popper last night.)  Sleep there, pack up the next morning and get breakfast with them on our way back, take DS to swim, Wooz to a playdate, and DS to soccer.  I got all of our s'mores supplies yesterday, along with some other necessities. (WINE.)

DS at Trader Joe's last night, to the cashier as DS helped unload the cart: "Hey! I really like these blueberry scones."

Re: Wednesday

• Poor Wooz!  LOL @ DS. 

Let's see...it's Wednesday?  I cannot even keep up when my kids aren't in school.  LOL

DefConn kills me.  He gets in my bed at night and this morning, my first alarm went off (I need at least 3 snoozes of 10 min before I can get up) and I turn it off.  A few minutes later, he gets out of bed, pads downstairs...I hear his feet shuffling a lot and then him coming back up saying, "MAMA! MAMA!"  I'm all, "Yeah?!  I'm in bed!"  He comes back in and is all, "OH I didn't see you!" And then he asks me every 5 min if it's time to get up until it's time to get up.  Good thing I just adore his snuggly-butt.  
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @Heffalump - wine is always necessary!

I don't have much going on.  We are taking our engagement pictures this Sunday (finally) but it might not happen.  I broke my e-ring and took it in to get it fixed a month ago.  The jeweler sent it to Verragio who said it was not fixable and I needed a new setting.  As of yesterday, Verragio still hadn't reset my ring.  I am beyond frustrated because I have told the jeweler no less than half a dozen times that I needed it finished by this week.  We can't take our e pics without an e ring.  Our photog has been very sweet about it but we have had this appointment scheduled for 6 months now.  Ugh.

• I hope Wooz comes up a with a great story to tell about the shiner!  Tripping on an easle doesn't quite get you street cred.

@Ro041 That stinks!  I get your frustration but think you could get away with pics without the ring.  I don't think we took one that was a close up on the ring.

SSDD here.  Working the real job plus the catering gig today and tomorrow but at least today I can WFH since we took a turn to the cold again. This tweet about Michigan weather made me LOL:

• @Heffalump  poor Wooz!

@mrsconn23  lol DefConn is a lucky one ;)

@Ro041 blarg jewelers *side eyes them*

@kimmiinthemitten  legit my city does the same thing as Detroit :')

I'll post more later, I'm about to run into a meeting about new phone system ....
  • edited March 2017
    I met with the realtor last night to appraise H's house. He said not to do the majority of the work I was planning on doing because it's not going to recoup it. So, we just need to touch up the wood work, paint the doors, replace all the lighting, and paint the cabinets in the kitchen. If I can get a couple people to help, it could be done in a weekend.

I had him take me to see a house that H and I loved in pictures, but it was not good in person. They took out 2/3 of the dining room to make a big kitchen. The kitchen was gorgeous, but my 4-seater dining table wouldn't even fit in the dining room and there wasn't another dining area. So...back to the drawing board.

Norah let me sleep 4 hours straight last night! I feel pretty good today!

eta:
    My boss has now done everyone's review except mine. I'm not sure why he won't do it. Last year, I was on maternity leave when he did them, but the year before I went in and said, "I know, I need to be more organized." He said, "yes, sign here." And that was it.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2017
    Oh and I know spring has sprung because I just had my first 'bird crashes into window' of the year.  They see the reflection of the tree in front of my office window and go for it at full speed. It scares the shit out of me every single time. 

They usually fly away, but there have been some casualties. 
  • @kimmiinthemitten Oklahoma weather is like that too. You know it's spring in OK when you use your furnace and A/C in the same day.

@Ro041 will your jeweler let you borrow a ring?

@thefanciestbeckler that really sucks! I hate offices like that. I really hope you find a better job soon. 

@Heffalump sounds like you've got a tough girl.

@mrsconn23 defconn sounds hilarious!
  • @DrillSergeantCat thank you! I hope so too. I'm so glad you were able to get some sleep last night!

@mrsconn23 I love your DefConn stories. They crack me up.

@Ro041 that really sucks about your ring!! They need to get busy and finish your ring!

@Heffalump poor Wooz. She must be tough as nails if she didn't cry, because that had to hurt. 

• Ro041Ro041 member
    @DrillSergeantCat - that's a great idea.  If it is not done, I might just tell them they need to do that!  I think it's crazy that people are getting rid of dining rooms, but apparently many younger buyers don't care about dining rooms.  I find it so strange.

@thefanciestbeckler - your job is just so crazy.  You need out of there, girl.

• I am waiting for someone on the phone to find out an answer for me.  They must be scary incompetent or this information is seriously hard to find, b/c it's been almost 10 minutes.  

K is having wisdom tooth surgery today.  She's terrified  She's never been under anesthesia before.  I'm all, "It's fine," but I secretly figure she's going to have a reaction just from nerves.  Tonight will be fun.

I want to go camping SO BAD, but it is raining all around us all weekend.  I hate camping in the rain, a lot.  I also keep having dreams about ex-DH.  IDK how/why, but they're really weird, somewhat upsetting dreams.
  • Hi, my name is Kennedy and I have been sent to destroy this daisy. 
    Daisies are toxic to cats, so don't let Kennedy do it!  (which is difficult, I know).
  • Our new phones are going to be a damn nightmare until things get sorted. Right now if I'm on the phone and have another line ringing, no one else can pick it up unless I transfer it to someone. So our tech guy is gonna contact the company to get that figured out before we go forward.

Anyways .... not much last night. Chatted with my mum.
    M's interview with a staffing agency is postponed again because interviewer is sick. I'm guessing he has that horrible cold going around.

Also if M hasn't heard anything by tomorrow about the one he had the good interview with, he's gonna follow up with them.
    As I mentioned to him, this is getting a tad stressful financially. I know it's not his fault, but I'm pissed I'm basically draining my savings I worked so hard to build up :( Total fwp though ...

Tonight we're doing the recycling in the garage and I've got some vacuuming to do.

It's damn cold today :( I want it back to spring weather!
  • Hi, my name is Kennedy and I have been sent to destroy this daisy. 
    Bad kitters! You could get sick!
    {cutie though .... the most evil usually are}
  • @VarunaTT and @MissKittyDanger according to the ASPCA Gerber Daisies are okay.  According to me - you're killing my flower bro!
  • @Heffalump poor Wooz - she sounds like a tough cookie though :)

@thefanciestbeckler I'm so happy the baby is out of the NICU!

Today I am back to my usual workload of late. 4 simultaneous deadlines with more to get added to my workload. I'm exhausted because I didn't sleep well last night because I'm having sharp abdominal pains that have also been keeping me up at night. I've tried repeatedly to set boundaries with my boss so that my workload is both manageable and at a healthy level, but to no avail. And I can't delegate anything to anyone else on my team because they are all also maxed out. I'm frustrated and overwhelmed. 
  • @Ro041 the way they photographed it, it was hard to tell what they did. Looking at the pictures now, I notice the placement of the ceiling fan in the dining area and can see what they did. https://www.trulia.com/property/32717768-3817-Regatta-Rd-Yukon-OK-73099#photo-12
  • @Heffalump, oops about Wooz.  Hopefully that'll disappear soon!
    @mrsconn23, DeConn is adorable.  Get your snuggles in now!
    @Ro041, I can TOTALLY see how you'd want your ring, but if your photographer can't move it around, I would suggest what kimmiinthemitten suggested.  I think in all our engagement shots, she did one where my left hand was prominent.  And that's a *think* because I really can't remember!
    @thefanciestbeckler, that is crap!  I don't know much about law, but don't all jobs have to be posted, even if they already filled it, doesn't it have to be posted somewhere?  :(  again, I know nothing about business law and I'm sure it varies state to state.
    @DrillSergeantCat, the same thing happened to me when house hunting.  Houses would be SO different from pictures, sometimes unrecognizable.  What? Do they have a housetune (instead of facetune) app for realtors? 
    @Charlotte989875, yay for a healthy baby coming home.  I love the name Lena.

Not much new here. I ordered custom frames for some wedding prints (I get a free 16x24 with my package) and spent 2.5 hours last night putting together a photo book for my MIL and FIL at walgreens com.  Another hour at it today, and found out they only hold up to 30 pages per book.  I had to take a lot of good ones out, but I think I got the ones showcasing family and friends.  I'm excited for them to get it.  
    And now I must knot search 'photo books' for recommendations for my own since I am NOT going to stop at 30 pages.  I got 433 shots from the photographers alone, never mind the guest ones (and some guest shots were better!)

• @kimmiinthemitten  still bad kitters!! It's okay, Penny doesn't like flowers either. M bought me stargazer lilies for an anniversary couple years ago, and she wouldn't eat them {they're kitty killers too} but she'd constantly knock over the damn vase! We moved them into the bathroom with the door closed so she'd leave them alone.
    You can have cats or nice things, never both.
  • @VarunaTT and @MissKittyDanger according to the ASPCA Gerber Daisies are okay.  According to me - you're killing my flower bro!
    So, i googled it real fast and this is where it sent me:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/daisy

But if you look at the "names" and the pictures, that's a mum, not a daisy?  IDK.  Wiki is telling me that mums are commonly called daisies.  Um...where?
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    @Ro041 the way they photographed it, it was hard to tell what they did. Looking at the pictures now, I notice the placement of the ceiling fan in the dining area and can see what they did. https://www.trulia.com/property/32717768-3817-Regatta-Rd-Yukon-OK-73099#photo-12
    Ohhh....yeah you can totally tell if you look at the ceiling fan.  I can see why you wanted to look at that house, though.  It is gorgeous!  No dining table would be a deal breaker for me too, though.

@CharmedPam - that makes me feel better. 

I just talked to our photog and we can reschedule for April 7 if need-be.  She was really cool about it.

• @CharmedPam my realtor said that photographing in HD can give the same effect as facetune. It makes everything look better. The people that staged this house and photographed it did really well. They went so far as to cut notches out of the bookshelves they put in the bedrooms to make them look like built-ins.
  • Good morning.      I'm feel so out of touch with TK these days.

I have 3 more weeks of work.  I can't believe how quickly the time went. The weather is so warm here.  DH has been driving his scooter everyday to work.  Hopefully we will get some snow today.  If not, I'm not sure we will even make it a few more weeks.   Glad I worked the extra shifts when I did.

The day after cleaning day I will take off on a road trip with my aunt, cousin and cousin's foster kid (18 years old).  We are hitting up Moab, Grand Canyon, Phoenix (to see my brother), L.A. and Vegas.   I've never been to CA before.  I have to say I would rather hit up other places than L.A., but cousin think his foster kid would enjoy checking it out.  No big deal to me.

We are also going to see my long lost first cousin, who was given up for adoption.  She found us via Ancestry DNA.

The day after the road trip I'm off to east coast to see our families.   DH flat out doesn't want to go.  He is over us visiting family and them never coming to us.  He is already grumpy over the trip.   I'm pretty neutral.    We haven't seen them in a year, our parents are getting older.  All of our parents have had some medial issues lately. My mom have the worse.  The woman managed to tear a tendon in her foot.   GETTING INTO A RESTAURANT BOOTH!  I don't even know how that even happens, but she managed to do it.  

But yeah, I'm pretty annoyed our vacation time is used to go see them.  Their vacation time is used to go to on "real" vacations to cool places.   Sorry, but flying back to your hometown is NOT a relaxing trip.  It's always running around trying to see everyone in a short period of time.

We have tentatively planned a trip to Italy and Austria for the fall.  So I'm looking forward to that.

Hope all is well with everyone.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Ummm,    DH just got a call from a head hunter.    He was interviewing for a position in FL last year.  This is when his GM was being a dick and basically firing everyone anyway.   Well the GM was fired and DH got a big raise.  

The FL place feels like they went the wrong direction They choose a french chef. Mostly because the owners are French Canadian.  They now feel like DH would have been the better choice (he is an amazing chef and has a great personality). According to the HH they are willing to offered him anything he wants to come down there.     Plus the cost of living is less down there.   

I don't know how I feel.  I love my winter job.  I love all the hiking i've been doing.  I love how active I am.   

I can't believe they came back around to him.    Oddly, the club did the exact thing to DH.  They hired a french chef over DH.  He didn't last and they offered DH the job.  DH has been rock'n it here over the last 3 years.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @Ro041, I can't believe your e-ring is still being fixed!  I feel like you first mentioned it a few months ago.  Though my vague remembrance of time is not always accurate.

@thefanciestbeckler, I'm so glad your friend's new baby is out of the ICU!  I know from your stories they have been going through such a struggle to adopt.  It's wonderful things have finally worked out for them.  Look on the bright side at work.  At least the new position was filled internally instead of yet another mistress family member getting it!  Seriously, though, it is just yet another link on the b.s. train.

@DrillSergeantCat, that sounds like good news your all's realtor said not to worry about making any major upgrades.  Phew!  Some of my favorite, low cost tricks to really spruce up a house are replace the kitchen hardware with something more upscale looking (if needed) and freshly paint the front door (sounds like you are already doing that).

Repainting the interior a neutral color is another great idea, but can be difficult if there is still furniture in the house.  Hint: Gray is the current popular neutral color.  I use Dolphin Fin by Behr in all my rentals.  It fluctuates with lighting and can sometimes look beige.  I always get compliments from prospective tenants on the color.  Keep the place clean, clutter free, and with no personal items for showings.  Good luck finding your next home!  I find house hunting both exhilarating and frustrating...all at the same time.

Here is an example of what it looks like (pardon the construction)

@kimmiinthemitten, Oooohhh!  Kennedy is such a CUTIE!!!  He looks a lot like my Nip girl.  She tricked us.  When we adopted her as a kitten, she was mostly black with a silvery gray undercoat that peeked through.  But, once she was fully grown, all those stripes she'd been hiding appeared and our Little Black Bear disappeared (she doesn't have a tail and that was what she looked like from the back), lol.

A little more on my tenant saga from yesterday.  I sent the wife an e-mail yesterday morning...and a text, just to let her know there was an important e-mail for her to read because I don't know how often she checks.  In the past, she has seemed to be the more responsible one.  Still not a word from either of them.  Definitely not a good sign and I'm looking up the details on how to file for an eviction.  I can't legally do that until Tuesday anyway.  I've had over a dozen tenants in the last five years.  This is only the second time I've had to post a 5 Day Pay or Quit and, unless they pay me in the next few days, it will be the first time I've ever had to file for an eviction (sigh).  We're waiting to hear back from the other tenant who lives there if the dogs are still in the backyard.  Unfortunately, I suspect they are.

I'm digging deep to end on a positive note and not always be a Debbie Downer, lol.  I have a take-out mystery shop to do after work this evening.  It's even a casual dining, not fast food, place so I'm looking forward to $25 in free food in exchange for writing a 20-30 minute report.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:

But yeah, I'm pretty annoyed our vacation time is used to go see them.  Their vacation time is used to go to on "real" vacations to cool places.   Sorry, but flying back to your hometown is NOT a relaxing trip.  It's always running around trying to see everyone in a short period of time.

We have tentatively planned a trip to Italy and Austria for the fall.  So I'm looking forward to that.

Hope all is well with everyone.
    Colorado IS a real vacation! I've never been but I'd love to go.  Vacations or visiting family is what you make of it.  DH's family lives in NY.  It's always a vacation for me.  I do NY-ey things (like broadway and eating the pizza hoping that one day I'll find some I like).

But I get that because whenever I go home to Canada, it's not a vacation to me either.  it's a home visit.  I like to plan it around holiday's I already have off to take less time off of work.

WTG to DH.  He has a hard decision to make. It sounds like you're happy there, no?  And now he is happy too?

• @lyndausvi that's awesome about your H's job offer! You both must have so much going through your heads right now. 
  • @lyndausvi where in Florida?  That would be a huge part of my decision, but I don't love Florida.

We're vacationing in Colorado next month; I can't wait!  I do get your H's frustrations though - my sis feels the same way about coming home and has the same problem with her best friend (who can never make it down to FL but always wants time when she's home.)