Snarky Brides

Re: Woman wears wedding dress every year for anniversary

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    They were married two years ago!  Wait until she has children.  Think that dress will fit at 9 months preggers?

Of course, she writes for Bride Magazine!  Publicity?  AW?  Money for the story?  Oh, yeah.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Yeah, I think it would be impressive if she'd done it every year for 10 or 20 years, but a couple...Why do we need a news piece on this?
    edited March 2017
    At first I thought, "oh cool" and then it was like, "meh, two years, write this article when it's been 15 or 50."

I actually like this idea. @CMGragain, sure she can't wear it at nine months pregnant, but plenty of women can post children. My H has a lot of memories of his mom wearing her dress on their anniversary after having three children. I'm pretty sure my 80-year-old grandma could still fit in her dress if she tried. I think she's actually more slender than she was when they got married. 
    My daughter has worn her wedding dress several times since her wedding - at a Daughters of the American Revolution evening banquet dinner where women under the age of 35 are supposed to wear white gowns.  All the other younger ladies were in white dresses, too, most of them modified wedding dresses.

To wear it out to a restaurant?  No. To wear something in public that will attract attention because it is inappropriate for the event is AWish.  Now, to wear your dress for your husband as you celebrate at home - no problem.

My skeptical attitude is because the lady who is proposing wearing her wedding dress on her anniversary is a writer for Bride Magazine.  I think her motivation for doing this has more to do with her job than with her marriage.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Tbh I bought my dress with this idea in mind - being able to wear it again.

I brought it on my honeymoon for one of the nice dinners at the resort. It was too damn hot to wear it for our anniversary and part of our plan was sitting on the ground, so i didn't want to risk it.
  • "Think that dress will fit at 9 months pregnant?" 

Why do we always assume that every woman is having children? Why? Not every married couple has kids. Not every married couple CAN have kids. 

I don't really see what's so snark-worthy about this. My wedding dress is my favorite thing I've ever worn. If I want to put it on and wear it to a restaurant on my anniversary, who is it hurting? Why would anyone care? If it's something a married couple finds fun, why the fuck not? 
    I don't think there was an assumption being made; just an example. Even if I wanted to wear my evening-gown wedding dress on my anniversary for fun, this year it's unlikely as I'll be maybe 4-6 weeks post-delivery. I won't click on the link and give it any more views, but if the writer is dead-set on doing this AND she happens to want kids, she's going to find it hard that particular year, odds-are. That's all.
    Heck, women without kids gain and lose weight all the time. There's any number of reasons that dress isn't going to fit or look right on her in the next 10-20 years. 

• I actually really wanted to do this!  Because I LOVE my wedding dress.  But I never have for two reasons.  1) I have a quarter-sized dark purple stain right on the front :(  2) I got married in CA in June, but live in NOLA.  It is WAY too hot to put that dress on in the summer.

I also thought about seeing if I could shorten the dress, but the purple stain thwarted those thoughts also.  And I suspect it would be ridiculously expensive.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've wavered on keeping my dress and decided that I would. I've got it cleaned and preserved. The company that did the cleaning and preserving will do it again for a reduced rate every year around your anniversary if you wear it. I'm thinking of doing this because why not? It is a gorgeous dress. The icing on the cake for us is that we can go back to the restaurant where we got married and hang out in our wedding clothes. I don't want a recreate but putting on an article of clothing that holds some amazing memories doesn't seem like a horrible thing to do. It doesn't seem AWish if no one else is invited.
  • I actually really wanted to do this!  Because I LOVE my wedding dress.  But I never have for two reasons.  1) I have a quarter-sized dark purple stain right on the front :(  2) I got married in CA in June, but live in NOLA.  It is WAY too hot to put that dress on in the summer.

I also thought about seeing if I could shorten the dress, but the purple stain thwarted those thoughts also.  And I suspect it would be ridiculously expensive.

What fabric is your dress?  Most wedding dresses are polyester, and you can wash that fabric safely.  Have you tried spot cleaning it?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

I actually really wanted to do this!  Because I LOVE my wedding dress.  But I never have for two reasons.  1) I have a quarter-sized dark purple stain right on the front :(  2) I got married in CA in June, but live in NOLA.  It is WAY too hot to put that dress on in the summer.

What fabric is your dress?  Most wedding dresses are polyester, and you can wash that fabric safely.  Have you tried spot cleaning it?

It looks like satin, but it might be polyester.  I don't remember specifically.  I should have tried spot cleaning it, but I didn't.  I never seem to have any luck with spot cleaners.  And, of course, now it's been over 3 years.

I think the stain is from brushing up against a purple flower.  I got married in my mom's garden and was trying to be REALLY careful to not brush up against the flowers for exactly this reason.  But there were areas where it was hard to do that.  There was nothing on our food/drink menu that was this royal purple color.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SP29SP29 member
    I have no problem with this idea, but as a psychologist, I'm side-eyeing this woman so hard:
    "No matter how funny and silly the tradition seems to us, it's really all based in science," she explained to TODAY. "Keeping the spark alive is crucial, so activities like this activate the reward center in your brain that boost dopamine.

"And when my husband sees me time and time again in my wedding dress, it's an extra-special way to connect with him and maintain that long-lasting bond."

That's not really how dopamine works - or at least it's such a vast oversimplification that it's lost all meaning. And the bolded part particularly makes me so uncomfortable....I can't even put it into words, but that's really not how bonding is supposed to work.

This is my thought too, and what bothered me about the article. A DRESS is not what is going to keep your marriage together.

But otherwise- I think it could be really sweet if a couple wore their wedding clothes year after year. And I am of the thought, "It's just a dress- wear it whenever you want". If she wants to wear her dress golfing or to eat pancakes- good on her!

I have not worn my wedding dress again. I have thought about it, just to put it on and see how it looks, but it's corset back, so I'd need help. DH bought a suit for our wedding (3 piece navy suit) and he has worn it multiple times- it's his go-to suit. That is why we felt comfortable purchasing the suit- it's a good quality suit and he was planning on wearing it again and again. 
    edited April 2017

It looks like satin, but it might be polyester.  I don't remember specifically.  I should have tried spot cleaning it, but I didn't.  I never seem to have any luck with spot cleaners.  And, of course, now it's been over 3 years.

I think the stain is from brushing up against a purple flower.  I got married in my mom's garden and was trying to be REALLY careful to not brush up against the flowers for exactly this reason.  But there were areas where it was hard to do that.  There was nothing on our food/drink menu that was this royal purple color.

Sorry I didn't notice your reply earlier.  Satin is a type of fabric weave, not fabric content.  Most modern day satin is made from polyester because it is much more practical than silk.  It won't water spot like silk does.  Try soaking the spot in Oxyclean and water. I would put the solution in a cup and dip the spot area of your dress in it to soak for awhile.  Use some dishwashing liquid as a surfactant.  It shouldn't hurt anything, and you might be lucky and see it come out.  Polyester fiber doesn't usually absorb stains easily.  Silk is very difficult, and I wouldn't try it with a silk fabric, though I have successfully removed stains from my Hermes scarves.  Good luck!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Sorry I didn't notice your reply earlier.  Satin is a type of fabric weave, not fabric content.  Most modern day satin is made from polyester because it is much more practical than silk.  It won't water spot like silk does.  Try soaking the spot in Oxyclean and water. I would put the solution in a cup and dip the spot area of your dress in it to soak for awhile.  Use some dishwashing liquid as a surfactant.  It shouldn't hurt anything, and you might be lucky and see it come out.  Polyester fiber doesn't usually absorb stains easily.  Silk is very difficult, and I wouldn't try it with a silk fabric, though I have successfully removed stains from my Hermes scarves.  Good luck!

Thanks!  I feel a little stupid I have gone my whole adult life not knowing that, lol.  I always thought it was a TYPE of shiny fabric.

I appreciate the spot cleaning suggestion!  I don't hold out much hope but, like you said, it doesn't hurt to try.

Wedding Countdown Ticker