Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding dress from Cocomelody.com?

I'm curious if anyone has ordered a wedding dress from this website and what their experience was like. I have found a dress on there that I'm obsessed with but I'm so nervous about ordering. Their website shows nothing but positive reviews which makes me concerned they only post the positive ones. Any advice would be appreciated! 

Re: Wedding dress from Cocomelody.com?

• I would proceed with high caution, they do appear to have some brick and mortar stores, I don't know where you are located but if you could I would go to them first. The dresses appear to come from China, which is usually a huge red flag if the dresses appear deeply discounted. There was one scathing review of them on wedding wire. That all being said, they also had majority positive reviews, and their dresses don't appear to be trying to rip off other designers which is typical for a scam site. 
  • Honestly, I wouldn't. The big red flags for me are when online sites have terrible grammar (this site is pretty good on that front) and when they have a bad return policy, which unfortunately, this site does. 

If you are dissatisfied with the dress, you can't return it unless they say it's ok. And you can't return it if it doesn't fit right. I have a terrible time ordering proper sizes online. The last time I ordered from JC Penney, I ordered all larges because that's what the sizing chart said to get. I couldn't keep even one shirt because they were all huge on me. I should have ordered a medium for most of them and even a small for one! 

I would be very leery of ordering from a site with a return policy like that. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    Never buy a wedding dress online unless you are dealing with a well known company in the USA/Canada.  David's Bridal and JC Penney would be acceptable.  There are hundreds of online sites, usually based in China, that show lovely photos, but the actual merchandise is cheap and ugly.  Good luck getting a refund from China!

You cannot possibly select a dress from an online photo.  Those dresses look completely different on you than in the photo.  So many brides find a picture and think that this has to be their dream dress.  Then, when they actually, try it on - meh.  This happened to my daughter.

You need to visit bridal shops and try on real dresses.  Be open to new ideas.  Many brides find that their perfect dress is completely different from what they had in mind before they went shopping.

Why not post the photo that you like.  Maybe we can help you find a similar dress from a well known designer.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Echoing PPs and also wanted to add look into having a similar dress made for you. I fell in love with a Wai Ching dress, and tried on some similar styles in person, which I liked but were not quite right. I found a woman who makes dresses here and she is making me a beautiful dress in a similar style to the ones I loved most (not a direct rip off, of course, but elements of several dresses all in one). It's actually costing me less than half of what the original Wai Ching dress is, and this gals work is spectacular.  Custom dress making seems like it should be extremely expensive but you can definitely find skilled seamstresses for a great price if you look. 
  • Echoing PPs and also wanted to add look into having a similar dress made for you. I fell in love with a Wai Ching dress, and tried on some similar styles in person, which I liked but were not quite right. I found a woman who makes dresses here and she is making me a beautiful dress in a similar style to the ones I loved most (not a direct rip off, of course, but elements of several dresses all in one). It's actually costing me less than half of what the original Wai Ching dress is, and this gals work is spectacular.  Custom dress making seems like it should be extremely expensive but you can definitely find skilled seamstresses for a great price if you look. 
    One caveat about having a dress custom made - you will be stuck with it, even if you don't like the results.  Kwiksilver2 is having a themed wedding, and this works for her, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Echoing PPs and also wanted to add look into having a similar dress made for you. I fell in love with a Wai Ching dress, and tried on some similar styles in person, which I liked but were not quite right. I found a woman who makes dresses here and she is making me a beautiful dress in a similar style to the ones I loved most (not a direct rip off, of course, but elements of several dresses all in one). It's actually costing me less than half of what the original Wai Ching dress is, and this gals work is spectacular.  Custom dress making seems like it should be extremely expensive but you can definitely find skilled seamstresses for a great price if you look. 
    One caveat about having a dress custom made - you will be stuck with it, even if you don't like the results.  Kwiksilver2 is having a themed wedding, and this works for her, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.
    Getting a dress made has nothing to do with having a "themed" wedding.  

Yes, there is some risk involved with getting a dress made, but far less so than ordering it online. Nobody should order a dress or have it made until they go in and actually try a bunch on in person. What one thinks will be flattering and what actually is are often different.
  • Thanks for the responses. I'm still considering what to do because my situation is very complicated... I currently live in London, will be leaving in July to be home in the states for 6 weeks then will be moving to Australia to live permanently but having our wedding in November in Maui.  Are you totally lost yet because my life is insane over the next year!  Anyways, this obviously makes buying/ordering  and altering a dress complicated.  This site has multiple physical stores including some in Europe which is why I feel they may be far more legitimate. The reviews on yelp for the physical store are quite good, but I know it's a risk no matter what. 
  • Taking a chance on you seeing this response over a year later..

Did you end up ordering from Cocomelody? I am curious about it as well. I found a dress I really like, so I'm curious if it worked out for you if you went with them. Thanks!