DIY Wedding Forum

Ugly Chair decorating ideas

Hello! 

My wedding is in 8 months and I'm super excited, but yesterday I finally got around to thinking about decorations for my reception. We're lucky that our venue has tables and chairs available at no extra cost. However the chairs they have are butt ugly. They do match our colors for our Christmas wedding, so I'm really just trying to find a way to spruce them up without paying for chair covers, since they're kind of out of my budget.

We're already renting extra (nicer) chairs for the ceremony upstairs and I'd rather not try and move all the chairs downstairs for the reception. Thoughts?

Re: Ugly Chair decorating ideas

• While they may not be the best looking, IMHO I would just leave it for 2 reasons. 1. One less thing to worry about. 2. Not spending money on the decorations.
  • The minute you try to dress up the chairs, you will draw attention to them. Your best bet is to ignore them and have great table decorations that draw guests' attention away from the chairs. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Honestly, nobody cares what the chairs look like.  They only care if they are reasonably comfortable to sit in.  Don't waste your money.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • At the end of the day - no one gives a rip what the chairs look like.  Now if your social circle involves 300-500lb. guys you've got something else to consider with those chairs.  But looks, don't worry about it - people are really more concerned about having a chair to sit on and something to drink in their hand (even if only water) than they are the chairs!
  • MesmrEwe said:
    At the end of the day - no one gives a rip what the chairs look like.  Now if your social circle involves 300-500lb. guys you've got something else to consider with those chairs.  But looks, don't worry about it - people are really more concerned about having a chair to sit on and something to drink in their hand (even if only water) than they are the chairs!
    This is my only concern about chairs, that they can hold my very large guests.  I hate chair covers with a fiery passion.  But I always looked at chairs not to see if they were pretty, but if they were strong.  A couple venues I looked at, I did mental math to see how many sturdy chairs I'd have to find if we went with that venue.

• adk19 said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    At the end of the day - no one gives a rip what the chairs look like.  Now if your social circle involves 300-500lb. guys you've got something else to consider with those chairs.  But looks, don't worry about it - people are really more concerned about having a chair to sit on and something to drink in their hand (even if only water) than they are the chairs!
    This is my only concern about chairs, that they can hold my very large guests.  I hate chair covers with a fiery passion.  But I always looked at chairs not to see if they were pretty, but if they were strong.  A couple venues I looked at, I did mental math to see how many sturdy chairs I'd have to find if we went with that venue.

That was the first question I asked when we were planning the big wedding and I was looking at renting chairs: How much weight can they hold?

Those chairs are ugly, but as long as you have enough of them and they can hold your largest guests, no one will care.
  • Ditto PPs...if they're strong enough, just leave them. Our wedding was 10 days ago and I already forgot what the chairs looked like. Our venue also provided nicer ones for the ceremony because they were in more pics, but I can't for the life of me picture our reception chairs.
  • Ditto PPs...if they're strong enough, just leave them. Our wedding was 10 days ago and I already forgot what the chairs looked like. Our venue also provided nicer ones for the ceremony because they were in more pics, but I can't for the life of me picture our reception chairs.
    Ahem. Where's your recap post?  ;)
    We are allowed to do that? I thought it was looked down upon (like looking for more awws).
    We are allowed to do that? I thought it was looked down upon (like looking for more awws).
    Recap posts (with photos) are only looked down upon (and this is only my personal opinion) if you never post or participate. I side eye when the only post someone makes is to show off their pictures. 
    This is why we have the "Wedding Recap" board!!!

Haha ok I'll work on it! ;) 
  • Haha ok I'll work on it! ;) 
    Ditto! :)
  • I didn't have internet for a while!! I think you're right. The color is a little more red in person and it's one of our wedding colors so maybe it won't be so bad. But I'm definitely renting nicer ones for our ceremony. :)
  • Generally nobody will care about the chairs at the end of the day, but if you decide you hate them on further inspection, Wish.com has chair covers that are about $150 for 100 covers. It's a tough call. The chairs at my venue are a horrible blue plastic like the kind from band class in school lol So boils down to how much do you hate the chairs :3
  • Don't worry so much about how they look. I think it matters how they feel.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards