Wedding Woes
Options

I'd have air freshner for the air freshner.

Dear Prudence,
I work in a small office with a limited staff, and we can hear literally everything that happens from our work spaces. A new colleague has the most unfortunate bathroom experiences every day. From our desks we can hear every sound. It also smells, and sometimes she leaves leftovers behind. She bought air freshener, so she must be aware there’s something going on. Can I say something? Maybe post a note to flush twice? It is so uncomfortable and I am so grossed out I try to avoid that bathroom at all costs, sometimes holding my pee all day until I can run across the parking lot to the building next door and use the public restrooms in the lobby.

—Office Etiquette

Re: I'd have air freshner for the air freshner.

• Options
    Something could be mentioned, but depending on the tact. Maybe posting a note in the bathroom for everyone, something like "toilet not always greatest, double check or flush twice" ? That way it doesn't single one person out, plus if it happens to one person it could be someone else at some point.

Poor person who has the issues though :(
  • Options
    I'm not so squeamish that I'm going to hold my pee all day. Just flush when you go in and do your business.
  • Options

I agree with both of y'all.  A "general" note for the bathroom is perfect.  My work recently did that.  It was an obviously irritated note about items that should not be flushed down the toilet.  Then it was updated about a week later with a "We know the problem is coming from the 3rd floor.  Again, please do not flush these items (list)."  But didn't call any one particular person out.  Though if they knew a specific person(s) it was or could be, those people might have been spoken to individually.

I also think it sounds extreme to try and not use the restroom all day.  Which makes me question if part of the issue is the LW exaggerating and being a bit of a special snowflake.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Fact: if a bathroom smells, I will not go. I would have to REALLY have to go to use a bathroom I deem gross. I have been like this forever and my mum has no idea where I got it from. She calls me "gross scent sensitive"
  • Options
    Fact: if a bathroom smells, I will not go. I would have to REALLY have to go to use a bathroom I deem gross. I have been like this forever and my mum has no idea where I got it from. She calls me "gross scent sensitive"

I stand corrected ;).  For me, the "need to go" far outweighs any grossness or bad smell.  But I see that is not true for everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    oh man I feel for this person (and the coworkers) - that would suck to have assues and be in a small office with 1 bathroom
  • Options

I stand corrected ;).  For me, the "need to go" far outweighs any grossness or bad smell.  But I see that is not true for everyone.
    Typically it's smell, but if a bathroom even looked gross when I was younger I would just walk out. My mum would constantly be concerned about me getting an infection but - knock on wood - I have not gotten an infection from holding it. I have gotten an infection from a dirty toilet seat, so that kinda proved my point.
    {note: my mum got a UTI from a hospital bathroom - those are gross. Malls are typically cleanest.}
  • Options
    I think this person may work in my office, LOL!  I agree that a general note about making sure everything is flushed away is about as much as you can do.  I know I hate going No. 2 at work because I KNOW everyone can hear/smell anything that happens in the bathroom and it is pretty obvious who is using it when...
  • Options
    I've heard that holding pee is not only bad for the kidneys but can lead to incontinence, especially among women.  If the condition of the bathroom is SO BAD that LW and others have to "run across the parking lot to the building next door," I definitely think a note is in order.

But the comment about being able to hear everything is making me side-eye the letter.... I mean, why was that necessary to add, except to say "I KNOW WHO IT IS"?  Shit happens.  It's an ugly fact of life, and yeah, it sucks that this ugly fact appears while this colleague is at work, but everybody poops.  You poop, too, LW.  Be less judgy.

So, sidebar, when I was in grad school, a note just randomly popped up in the ladies' room one year.  It read, "Please do not stand on the toilet seats to pee."  I think the biggest question I still need answered is, "How do you know that's what's really happening here?"

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I've heard that holding pee is not only bad for the kidneys but can lead to incontinence, especially among women.  If the condition of the bathroom is SO BAD that LW and others have to "run across the parking lot to the building next door," I definitely think a note is in order.

But the comment about being able to hear everything is making me side-eye the letter.... I mean, why was that necessary to add, except to say "I KNOW WHO IT IS"?  Shit happens.  It's an ugly fact of life, and yeah, it sucks that this ugly fact appears while this colleague is at work, but everybody poops.  You poop, too, LW.  Be less judgy.

So, sidebar, when I was in grad school, a note just randomly popped up in the ladies' room one year.  It read, "Please do not stand on the toilet seats to pee."  I think the biggest question I still need answered is, "How do you know that's what's really happening here?"
    I took this as it wasn't just a smell problem after, but a sound problem during as well.
  • Options

A little off topic, but Helpful Handywoman tip for the day:

If your toilet is running, get it fixed asap.  It is wasting unbelievable amounts of water when that is happening.  We had our usual $100 water bill jump to $800...in one month...because of that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nobody wants to be the stinky kid in class, especially if you can't help it.  But as someone who once had the office closest to the single stall bathroom, the only thing worse than the smell of ass, is air fragrance ass.
    1000% yes. I put up a sign in our bathroom to not use perfumes or "air freshener" sprays because some people are allergic to these products (me for one)

We had an employee who used to go in daily and spray this rank fake vanilla perfume, which was worse than any crap smell. Instant headache and I almost puked just walking in. The sign went up on day #3, and it took a solid week for the bathroom to air out enough that it was usable. 

We also had someone who would routinely get poop on the front of the toilet. How do you even manage that? 
  • Options
    Nobody wants to be the stinky kid in class, especially if you can't help it.  But as someone who once had the office closest to the single stall bathroom, the only thing worse than the smell of ass, is air fragrance ass.
    1000% yes. I put up a sign in our bathroom to not use perfumes or "air freshener" sprays because some people are allergic to these products (me for one)

We had an employee who used to go in daily and spray this rank fake vanilla perfume, which was worse than any crap smell. Instant headache and I almost puked just walking in. The sign went up on day #3, and it took a solid week for the bathroom to air out enough that it was usable. 

We also had someone who would routinely get poop on the front of the toilet. How do you even manage that? 
  • Options

I think a note is appropriate about flushing twice and making it generic to do with plumbing or something. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about the smell or sounds of someone pooping (unless the office wanted to do some major ventilation/insulating). Holding in stool is incredibly bad for bowel health and can lead to constipation and fear of defecating. The LW could always put a drop of peppermint oil under her nose if the smell is really bad for them.  

• Options
    ernursej said:

I think a note is appropriate about flushing twice and making it generic to do with plumbing or something. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about the smell or sounds of someone pooping (unless the office wanted to do some major ventilation/insulating). Holding in stool is incredibly bad for bowel health and can lead to constipation and fear of defecating. The LW could always put a drop of peppermint oil under her nose if the smell is really bad for them.  

SITB

Vicks VapoRub under the nose works too. (I briefly dated a forensic pathologist who swore by that.)

• Options

At my last job someone pooped in front of the toilet - so on the floor and left it. It wasn't some sort of defiant "stick it to the man" move either 
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the ass offender has some sort of intestinal issue. All I gotta say is Poo-pourri is amazing stuff. Put it on the office supply list. 
  • Options

Typically it's smell, but if a bathroom even looked gross when I was younger I would just walk out. My mum would constantly be concerned about me getting an infection but - knock on wood - I have not gotten an infection from holding it. I have gotten an infection from a dirty toilet seat, so that kinda proved my point.
    {note: my mum got a UTI from a hospital bathroom - those are gross. Malls are typically cleanest.}
    how?
  • Options
    kaos16 said:

how?
    Myself - public bathrooms are gross. Apparently if there's bacteria on the toilet seat you can get a UTI

My mum - hospital bathrooms aren't cleaned as much as they should. Add the fact that when my mum is stressed or upset, she has to pee a lot, so .... yehhhh.
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

I couldn't agree with you more. I can instantly smell that air freshener and some people in my office really over do it. It smells almost as bad as the bathroom smell. 
  • Options
    kaos16 said:

how?
    Myself - public bathrooms are gross. Apparently if there's bacteria on the toilet seat you can get a UTI

My mum - hospital bathrooms aren't cleaned as much as they should. Add the fact that when my mum is stressed or upset, she has to pee a lot, so .... yehhhh.
    Bacteria can't live on inanimate objects, though. This was probably a case of correlation =/= causation. You just happened to sit on a toilet in a hospital and around the same time got a UTI.
    Idk, I'm just going by what the dr told her at the time