Honeymoon Discussions

In Case We Get To Take One...

So we got engaged in 2015 and set the date knowing that I was working on going back to school.  I got in to my PA program on the first try (WOO HOO) and now our date for this October will be during my clinical rotations.  I knew that this would mean we would not be able to take a honeymoon right away because... you know, school.  As it turns out, I'm really only getting a day off the Monday after our wedding.  I actually have an exam the morning before our wedding, so I am feeling pretty lucky I will at least get a 3 day weekend even though we were hoping to snag a couple extra days and shoot up north for a long weekend.

I did find out that I have about two weeks over Christmas and we'd like to go to an island someplace warm.  We have some pretty firm cost restrictions since I haven't been paid in over a year but would love to swing something. Does anyone have any nice and not too pricey recommendations?  We have talked about the Dominican a lot because neither of us has been there.  

Re: In Case We Get To Take One...

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    So we got engaged in 2015 and set the date knowing that I was working on going back to school.  I got in to my PA program on the first try (WOO HOO) and now our date for this October will be during my clinical rotations.  I knew that this would mean we would not be able to take a honeymoon right away because... you know, school.  As it turns out, I'm really only getting a day off the Monday after our wedding.  I actually have an exam the morning before our wedding, so I am feeling pretty lucky I will at least get a 3 day weekend even though we were hoping to snag a couple extra days and shoot up north for a long weekend.

I did find out that I have about two weeks over Christmas and we'd like to go to an island someplace warm.  We have some pretty firm cost restrictions since I haven't been paid in over a year but would love to swing something. Does anyone have any nice and not too pricey recommendations?  We have talked about the Dominican a lot because neither of us has been there.  
    You will need to give us your budget before we can help you, as well as you calendar dates that you have available.  Where will you be traveling from?  That makes a big difference in budget plans. 
    Christmas break is high season in the Caribbean.  You might want to consider a cruise.  They attract fewer families at this time of year, and they are very budget friendly.
    For instance: Grand Caymen and Mexican coast;  the DR, Aruba and Curacao;  Bahamas, St. Thomas, and Puerto Rico?

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

You will need to give us your budget before we can help you, as well as you calendar dates that you have available.  Where will you be traveling from?  That makes a big difference in budget plans. 
    Christmas break is high season in the Caribbean.  You might want to consider a cruise.  They attract fewer families at this time of year, and they are very budget friendly.
    For instance: Grand Caymen and Mexican coast;  the DR, Aruba and Curacao;  Bahamas, St. Thomas, and Puerto Rico?

Ok!  

Most of the quotes I have gotten are for around $3400 for the two of us for a week in say, Punta Cana.  We are flying from Detroit (or Flint or Toledo). Probably leaving around the 18th or 19th and back after Christmas.  I would like to see if we can do a little cheaper than that, but honestly, I don't know if it's possible!  I also don't know what good resorts are.  We have stayed in a really beautiful place in Mexico and a pretty awful place in Mexico, so we'd prefer it not be the awful one.

I know you are the Cruise Queen.  My fiance has never been on a cruise and I'm not sure I can talk him into one, he has a pretty significant claustrophobia and I'm not sure being on a boat will work for him.  I've been on cruises and I know the boat is big, I'm just not sure he could handle it for more than a day or two without getting uncomfortable.

Thanks so much for your help.  Let me know if more info would be helpful!!!  Maybe we try Aruba or back to Mexico just so we can get away.
    edited April 2017

Ok!  

Most of the quotes I have gotten are for around $3400 for the two of us for a week in say, Punta Cana.  We are flying from Detroit (or Flint or Toledo). Probably leaving around the 18th or 19th and back after Christmas.  I would like to see if we can do a little cheaper than that, but honestly, I don't know if it's possible!  I also don't know what good resorts are.  We have stayed in a really beautiful place in Mexico and a pretty awful place in Mexico, so we'd prefer it not be the awful one.

I know you are the Cruise Queen.  My fiance has never been on a cruise and I'm not sure I can talk him into one, he has a pretty significant claustrophobia and I'm not sure being on a boat will work for him.  I've been on cruises and I know the boat is big, I'm just not sure he could handle it for more than a day or two without getting uncomfortable.

Thanks so much for your help.  Let me know if more info would be helpful!!!  Maybe we try Aruba or back to Mexico just so we can get away.
    If your FI has claustrophobia, I recommend Holland America Line.  Their cabins are slightly larger, and you need to book one with an "ocean view".  This means you get a real bathroom with a tub/shower instead of those micro-mini showers on so many ships.  Holland America ships have a huge viewing room up on the very top deck, called "The Crows Nest".  I love to sit there and read a book while sipping a drink from the bar and enjoying a panoramic view.  The food on HAL is excellent, too.  It is a quiet crowd with many seniors who will fuss over you.  Think elegant luxury.

These are from my favorite website.  You need to sign on to see them, but it is a good site, and they won't bother you.  If you need a cruise travel agent, I will share mine.  Just PM me.  If these links don't work, just go to the VTG website and key in those last five numbers.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=10839

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=15910  (Super bargain and beautiful ship!)

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=11516  (OMG!  A cabin with private balcony for $780 per passenger!)

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • LulawifeLulawife member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2017
    CMGragain said:

Ok!  

I have definitely suggested this site on this board before but check out Bookit.com for vacation deals. I've used them to book multiple vacations and they make it so easy. I often start checking their site well before I'm ready to book and then check once a week or so to see if they are offering better deals. I'm sure other travel sites do this as well but I always have had such great luck with them I often feel like I have to suggest them to others! 

I've never been to the Dominican but I have been to a few all inclusives in Riviera Maya. My favorite was the Excellence Riviera Cancun (adults only). This past October, my H and I went with our families for 8 days and including round trip flight, we each paid about $1200. The resort was beautiful, we had delicious food, and overall a great time. I know the Excellence brand has a resort in Punta Cana but I've never been so I can't speak to whether it's the same quality as the one in Mexico. I imagine the prices are more expensive around the holidays but you have some wiggle room based on your budget and what I paid. 

ETA: My parents who went with us in October have also recently stayed at the Now Jade in Riviera Maya and they said while Excellence was great, they do like Now Jade a bit better. I don't believe it's adults only. 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    I just saw this, so I am posting a bit late.  If you have a AAA membership, I HIGHLY recommend you go through their website to look at Caribbean vacations.  They partner with really good resorts and offer complete packages.  We went through them and got our honeymoon for 10 days at an all inclusive, adults only, exclusive resort, with airfare from the Midwest, for $4500 (and we added a number of upgrades).

• Ro041 said:
    I just saw this, so I am posting a bit late.  If you have a AAA membership, I HIGHLY recommend you go through their website to look at Caribbean vacations.  They partner with really good resorts and offer complete packages.  We went through them and got our honeymoon for 10 days at an all inclusive, adults only, exclusive resort, with airfare from the Midwest, for $4500 (and we added a number of upgrades).
    Ooh, thank you.  We don't have AAA but I think his mom might.  We can see if we can use hers.  I do have USAA and never considered looking but I know I've been on a cruise bookd through them, so thanks for the idea.
  • You won't get the resort feel but renting a house or condo through airbnb or vrbo.com might get you much cheaper accommodations. I have rented through both sites, both in the US and abroad and have loved all the places I have stayed. When my FI and I were in Italy last summer we rented an entire apartment through airbnb for less then the cost of a small hotel room. My FMIL and FFIL just rented a condo in Mexico through airbnb and liked it.
    edited April 2017
    AAA is a travel agency.  They are no different from any other travel agency.  I am an AAA member, too, but for other reasons.  I book my trips through an agency that specializes in cruses.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    CMGragain said:
    AAA is a travel agency.  They are no different from any other travel agency.  I am an AAA member, too, but for other reasons.  I book my trips through an agency that specializes in cruses.
    We have a AAA membership for other reasons as well.  But we had a great experience using it for what the OP specifically wants i.e. an island vacation like the Dominican that is nice and not too expensive.  

I do not agree that they are "no different than any other travel agency" because we got a much better deal for a nicer resort than going through say, Expedia, which is also a travel agency.

If OP were wanting to go on a cruise, which s/he has made clear is not what they want to do, then a rec for an agency specializing in cruises would be appropriate.  

• Ro041 said:
    CMGragain said:
    We have a AAA membership for other reasons as well.  But we had a great experience using it for what the OP specifically wants i.e. an island vacation like the Dominican that is nice and not too expensive.  

I do not agree that they are "no different than any other travel agency" because we got a much better deal for a nicer resort than going through say, Expedia, which is also a travel agency.

If OP were wanting to go on a cruise, which s/he has made clear is not what they want to do, then a rec for an agency specializing in cruises would be appropriate.  
    AAA is just like any other travel agency. It just so happened that for the package you wanted, they came in less expensive. It was probably because of the contracts/partnership they have with that particular resort. Or maybe it was a special promotion they were running. They may come in more expensive than Expedia for similar resorts that are not a part of the same resort chain. I have priced with AAA and they weren't always the cheapest. Same goes with Costco or the agency that CMGr uses for her cruises. OP should contact AAA but also look on Expedia or maybe even work with another agency that specializes in the area to see who provides the best value (for me, best value means expertise, price, and service). 

• edited April 2017
    Thanks, I never would have thought of AAA... I think we will have to do a lot of research to find the best deal but I really appreciate the help!