Wedding Woes

Confessions

1. I stumbled upon a thread with a deleted user from before my time and spent too long reading old threads. Man, TK was was sassy, awesome, and fun back in the day. :)

2. I see red flags in my friends' marriage. :/

3. There is a post on the recap board, I read a post on a different wedding site a long time ago from a guest who went to that wedding. I know because the bride wore a very unique, themed dress that the poster described and had very specific centerpieces. The post was on a "The worst wedding you've attended" thread. I feel bad because the bride will never know what the guest thought but it literally backs up everything everyone here said about wedding planning. 

4. I am watching Searching for Bobby Fischer on TV and it smells like my childhood, :);) 

Re: Confessions

• Ro041 said:
    1. I stumbled upon a thread with a deleted user from before my time and spent too long reading old threads. Man, TK was was sassy, awesome, and fun back in the day. :)

3. There is a post on the recap board, I read a post on a different wedding site a long time ago from a guest who went to that wedding. I know because the bride wore a very unique, themed dress that the poster described and had very specific centerpieces. The post was on a "The worst wedding you've attended" thread. I feel bad because the bride will never know what the guest thought but it literally backs up everything everyone here said about wedding planning. 

4. I am watching Searching for Bobby Fischer on TV and it smells like my childhood, :);) 

I wish I knew what post you were talking about...

It was a Halloween wedding, if that helps.
  • Ro041 said:

It was a Halloween wedding, if that helps.

SITB:  

Oh - if you only knew!  When I first came on here - let's just say it was the catalyst for a former knottie's book "Take Back Your Wedding: Managing the people stress of wedding planning"...  And that was just from the local boards!  

As for 3 - those threads follow a theme, "Worse than the cash bar is - When bridal vision trumps the comfort of your guests!"

• Ro041 said:

Direct links are much appreciated
  • *Barbie* said:
    Ro041 said:

Didn't posters get in "trouble" for direct linking? 
  • *Barbie* said:
    Ro041 said:

Didn't posters get in "trouble" for direct linking? 
    there was an issue. goes against TOS
  • there was an issue. goes against TOS
    I can't find it now, but someone tried telling me the same thing and I found where it's okay in some situations. I'm so frustrated I can't find it!
  • There are a couple reasons why I don't want to post links.
    1. TOS
    2. I am pretty sure this poster still lurks occasionally and, since it is so far after the fact, posting links would accomplish nothing besides hurting her. 
    3. I don't think I could find a link if I tired. I saw it on a thread on The Other WW sometime in the year before my wedding last October. It wasn't the OP just a comment, good luck trying to use their search function. Alsoandplus, half of their threads get deleted because they can do that.  :(
    4. There is a Recap on OBB written by the bride which is how I recognized it when the other poster was talking about it on the other forum.  
  • there was an issue. goes against TOS
    I can't find it now, but someone tried telling me the same thing and I found where it's okay in some situations. I'm so frustrated I can't find it!
    Yeh I know what you mean. So irritating. I just avoid it.
  • I found it. http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1039383/clarification-on-links-and-screenshots#latest

In this case, it's against TOS, but it's not always.
    wow a lot of names on that thread you don't see anymore (or at least I don't in the boards in which I regularly visit)
  • I have wasted so much time trying to find this discussion, even though I am pretty sure I know to which wedding you are referring, so it's no surprise it ended up being a nightmare.  I have found several posts, but I'm still hunting for the "original" since each one I've found starts with, "I've posted about this before..."

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2017
    :'( the TOS are kinda bullshit. 
  • I read the OBB article. So much disregard for etiquette, but OBB definitely touts vision above guest comfort. It's always the "It's your day, so do whatever you want" mentality there.
  • geebee908 said:
    I read the OBB article. So much disregard for etiquette, but OBB definitely touts vision above guest comfort. It's always the "It's your day, so do whatever you want" mentality there.
    That is actually why I was drawn to TK. I remember asking a question (when their forums were still a thing) and being told just what you said. I was like, I already think my idea is good. I need someone to play devils advocate/ point out how to make it better. Plus everything over there was so stressful and a BIG fucking deal, like buying your shoes was AW worthy. My wedding may not have had a magazine spread worthy seating chart but it was in alphabetical order and easy to read.
  • geebee908 said:
    I read the OBB article. So much disregard for etiquette, but OBB definitely touts vision above guest comfort. It's always the "It's your day, so do whatever you want" mentality there.
    What is OBB?
  • geebee908 said:
    What is OBB?
    Offbeat Brides
  • geebee908 said:
    What is OBB?
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who did get this!

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Confession- I just ordered an appetite suppressant. I'm always hungry and I have 10 more pounds I think I need to lose.
  • 6fsn said:
    Confession- I just ordered an appetite suppressant. I'm always hungry and I have 10 more pounds I think I need to lose.
    is it mealenders?

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    because I ordered mealenders (there was a discount code which made it easier to try out).  Mealenders is a craving controller or something like that, not an appetite suppressant but I'm willing to try it. 

My coworker lost 40+ pounds on a dr subscribed appetite suppressant.  DH's BFF is doing the same.  I tried it.  It didn't work for me.  And it wasn't RX approved, so I paid out of pocket, with a coupon over $125/month for it.  But it worked for my coworker and Dh's friend!  Just not me ;(

my confession, along the same lines:  A jimmy johns sandwich and chips don't fill me up.  They satisfy me for a bit, but I'll be hungry waaaaaaay before 5.  Subway is the same thing.  Am I the only one who doesn't get full by JJ or Subway?

• @CharmedPam, I can eat a Subway footlong and be ravenous an hour later.  I am NEVER full.  ALWAYS hungry.  I have to eat foods that are high in fiber to even get close to feeling full.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @charmedpam I'm always hungry too.  And if it makes you feel better I gained weight on Weight Watchers when I tried it years ago
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    I'm back on counting calories!  I have an app (lose it! and it's  pretty good) and the first week I was all like "I'm ready to do this! I got this!" and I slid the marker to "I want to lose 2 lbs a week".  Then, after a few days, and when my allotted calories for a 2 lb/week loss were consumed by 2 p.m.... I slid the counter to a .5 lb a week loss.  I'll be happy with that I guess?  My nutritionist not so much.  She wants me on the 2 lb loss/wk calorie mark, but she also doesn't have to live with me.  DH does and he likes .5 lb a week loss Pam. 

edit: (the different is 760 calories!) 

• @CharmedPam and @atomicblonde, there just is no magic answer.  At least not yet.  As to why foods/diets/appetites/metabolism and pills (prescribed and over the counter) can affect people so differently.  And not just for weight loss, but lots of conditions.

For me, carbs are horrible.  Even if they fill me up, it is not for long.  Proteins are a much better answer for me.  Red meat, chicken...even nuts...and I'm full a lot faster and for a lot longer.  Though, not so much fish/shellfish for some reason.

I took prescription Phentermine for a few months.  The "Phen" part of the deadly drug Fen-Phen.  Supposedly the "safer" half of that concoction.  It is supposed to decrease appetite and cravings, while increasing focus and energy.  If that is sounding reminiscent of speed...that's because, although it isn't an amphetamine, it is in the same drug family.

It was super weird!  I thought it would control my appetite by...well...making me less hungry.  What it did instead of was just make me less interested in food.  It was more like something that happened in my brain, than in my body.  I'd have to make myself eat because..."Food.  Food was gross.  All food was gross."  Y'all.  I love food.  Almost all foods.  It was like, "OMG, WHO is this!?!  And where did the real @short+sassy go?"  And it didn't happen gradually, it happened almost overnight.

I did eat a lot less food.  But didn't lose even one pound :(.  My energy was crazy ramped up.  Almost too much.  I was really careful to only take it for three weeks, take a break for a week, then go back for three weeks.  Because I'd researched that people can develop a tolerance and it can also be addictive, though usually just with people who already have addictive tendencies.

Then one day, Poof!  It just totally stopped working.  I took a break for a month.  Took it for one week.  It stopped working again.  I liked the energy surges, but it certainly wasn't doing anything for my weight.  Plus I guess I quickly gained a major tolerance for it, even though I'd tried to be careful about that.  Needless to say, I just stopped taking it.

As opposed to my friend who has taken Phen on and off for years.  Basically, whenever she wants to lose 10ish pounds.  I was taking two pills a day.  Nada in the weight loss department.  She would take half a pill a day and the weight would fly off.  She said she has to be careful with it because she'll start to have too much weight come off.  So unfair!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yeah, that's unfair :(  I hate how it works differently for different people.  I would love to hate food. LOL.  appetite suppressants may not work for me all the time - because if I'm out at a restaurant and food tastes good (or bringing take out home) I'm eating the whole damn thing, full or not.  It would only help if it was a "laying around the house and not being hungry" kinda day.  

• yeah, that's unfair :(  I hate how it works differently for different people.  I would love to hate food. LOL.  appetite suppressants may not work for me all the time - because if I'm out at a restaurant and food tastes good (or bringing take out home) I'm eating the whole damn thing, full or not.  It would only help if it was a "laying around the house and not being hungry" kinda day.  
    TRUTH. I think everything looks/sounds so good lately. And I have a bad habit of eating while I cook....and then eating whatever I'm making as a meal. I know it and I do it anyway. Ugh.

Add in having a baby and being over 30? I'm 10 pounds heavier than I was before I was pregnant with southernmini. Now I know what people were talking about when they told me to enjoy my 20s body!
    *********************************************************************************

• edited April 2017
    I'm supposed to go to a Tax Day March tomorrow but am ditching it to help a friend move some things from her old place to her new one.

ETA: I also said something snarky in another thread and have (almost) no regrets.
  • My 20s body died at 24. It was like my metabolism just hit a wall. I've been uncontrollably gaining weight since then and they can't figure out why. Huge family history of maternal hypothyroidism and It never shows up on labs for me despite having every symptom in the book and affecting every maternal female family member. I exercise, I calorie count, I decrease carbs, I eat balanced meals, nothing works. Just exponential weight gain. It's really disheartening. I was never overweight except for one stint on bcp as a teen where I reacted really badly. Otherwise, I was never over 107 pounds. Now? Now I miss the days when I thought I was overweight. I'm sick and tired of being overweight for real. Plus, I had amazing skinny clothes. I miss them. They were fucking adorable. And expensive.