Wedding Woes

Tuesday!

Hi y'all!  Hope everyone is doing well (Street Festival Knottie aside) and your week is off to a good start.  What's up?  NOLA is an auntie!

We survived the round trip in the car with the kids!  They were awesome.  (Except when we were unloading the car yesterday, DH saw that Wooz had doodled on her armrest.  I thought he was going to pass out.  She's forking over a chunk of her savings to get it detailed, and she's now banned from having any writing instruments in the car.)  The funeral/memorial service was nice.  (Although my uncle was an asshat at the lunch, when he said he couldn't believe that my dad and his wife showed up for the service, and that my grandma wouldn't have wanted them there.  But he is generally an asshat, so I wasn't surprised.) 

Three day week, and I'm pretty sure I can do this.  Other than NOLA Baby, have I missed anything?

Re: Tuesday!

• What's up?! That was a long-ass road trip for you.  

I just booked tickets to TX for DefConn and me to visit my grandparents.  He's going to be so excited.  I think he needs a real cowboy hat.  

My friend is listening to S-Town finally and her reactions via text are cracking me up.  

DH gets Thursday night off for Good Friday, but I get bupkis.    We do close Easter Sunday for 'maintenance', but anyone who is normally works is scheduled into their day off.    But that means DH is going to be cleaning his little hiney off to get ready for DefConn's rescheduled party. 
  • I work all week, but I am thinking about taking Friday off.

We finally started doing our taxes last night (corrected W-2s arrived Saturday....), and discovered that the corrected forms are... still wrong.

Sigh.  So IDK WTF we're going to do.

My motivation is at an all-time low and I really want to just curl up in the zero-gravity chair we got, sit in the sun, and read a pile of books.  I'm coming up on a year since my last vacation (a whopping 3-days immediately following the wedding), have leave to burn, and the springtime weather is making it really hard to not stay home...

Hmmm....

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I was off and on TK yesterday, mainly because I was busy with crap on my desk.

Still busy but I'll be back! :)
  • Good morning WW ladies.

I am binge watching the last episodes of 13 Reasons Why.

DH left this morning for 5 days in Amsterdam. I should have gone too and am a little salty about it. But I am also happy to have a few days to myself. I started my period today and have been pretty cranky. 
  • Now that I'm done what needed to be done ASAP, I can post :)

Weekend was decent.

Friday we were at a friend's place for poker. I went cuz I didn't want to do laundry {lmao} and at end of the night he thought someone stole a few chips {no one did, they were accounting for} but apparently it's part of a bigger issue.

Saturday I threw laundry in, M went to the Rod & Gun show, and I went to dollarama.
    Afternoon was a whole lot of nothing. I had a headache so I lay down for awhile.

Sunday redid a video, edited and uploaded. It was so nice out so I kept wandering outside.
    Again, headache. I lay down again. {note: this usually works, but didn't this time}
    Vacuumed and swiffered. M ended up BBQ'ing.

Yesterday I was coming home and since it was warm out, I didn't have a jacket. Of course I'm wearing a white top and it decided to rain.

Not sure what's tonight, but I have to do laundry again {adult version of never ending story ...}
  • WFH today; SSDD.  We've entered the season where I don't see H often.

He coaches baseball and teaches 4 AP classes (2 subjects) so Tuesdays and Thursdays (minimum) he has study sessions before school and double headers after.  Today is the SAT so he had his study session yesterday before school but had to go in early today to set up for the test.  There are so many standardized tests this time of year that he will likely be going in more days early for study sessions since he's missing classroom time.  And so it goes for the next 8 weeks!  And of course, the catering season is picking back up so there's my weekends.

At least Spring Break is later this year so we get to go on a trip to Denver in the middle of all of it.  I usually don't get any real time with him again until Memorial Weekend.
  • @charlotte989875, I must give you a shoutout for your "roomba" recommendation.  So far, we love it.  I've used it a few times since getting it on Friday.  Apparently, we have it set to go at 9 every day, but since I'm not home I don't know if that happens.....  I run it at night too, just incase.  I can't believe I was manually washing and vacuuming the floors THIS WHOLE TIME.  The dog isn't scared of it, but I can tell he's annoyed by it when it bumps into him and he has to get up and move. ha! Also the thing DOES look like a beetle with flashing eyes and sometimes I feel it's got a life of it's own and is following me around the house.  If I have roomba nightmares, I'll know who to blame :)

In other news, the dress I bought for my friends wedding fits and looks good without a tummy minimizer!  I have an apple shaped body and no, I mean NO dresses fit me well. I got this one:

https://www.amazon.com/KOH-Strapless-Shoulderless-Flattering-Cocktail/dp/B01KJ6XTVG/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1491920956&sr=1-5&nodeID=1040660&psd=1&keywords=koh+koh&th=1&psc=1

in teal (she didn't have a one color for the bridesmaids but a 'jewel tone' theme) and the fringe covers up my tummy, which is what I was going for. 

I have my 2nd tax appointment with the new tax company tonight.  I didn't really care about her attitude on Saturday when we met up, and I hope DH is there to do all the talking because I'm already irked with her.

• @Heffalump - I don't know why, maybe it's the unseasonably warm weather we are having - but when you said Wooz "doodled" on your H's car armrest, I thought you meant doodled - as in, a euphemism for pooped. And I thought I was going to pass out on your H's behalf. And then I got to the writing instruments part and I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief. But oh man. That stinks - good for you making her pay to have it detailed. You and H deserve all the martinis!

Today it's going to be near 80. I have zero meetings and have had a very productive morning so far *pats self on back*. And this afternoon I have an event for the women in my (male dominated) industry, which is in the Seaport District - so I get to get fresh air and harbor views and sunshine! I'm super excited!
  • So glad you like it @CharmedPam. Our dog is terrified of it, but the cat just looks annoyed. 

Has as anyone here done rent the runway? How far in advance do you order? I've got a May wedding I want to rent for (formal attire listed on the invite), but haven't used it yet. Any thoughts?
  • Yesterday was such a gorgeous day and today is just meh outside. It's been a tough few days for my family, it's like we lose a few members everyday. Over the weekend we lost 7. I feel so disassociated from it. I've been spending increasing time on planning my wedding because I feel like all those people will just show up. I'm inclined to make welcome baskets for them but then my brain calls me on my delusions. Things have gotten to the point where we've a dedicated time for discussing how many people we've lost today and who and if we should tell the others who are really old and/or dying themselves. But for the first day in a few months, everyone was safe yesterday. 
    Sorry to be such a downer. 

in positive news: my younger sister worked hard at her junior high school and the district elementary schools to fundraise for the past few months. On Saturday, she received an award because her team manage to collectively raise 30k. At 11, she's that association's youngest recipient. So that's really fun. 

@charlotte989875 Best of luck with that application! 
    @atomicblonde I'm sorry, I forget: are you working with an accountant? 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    6fsn said:
    I'm just a housewife.  Am I allowed to have an idea or opinion?

I've got the summer signups complete.  M2 and I were going to go rollerblading today, but we got thunderstorms instead.  I need to clean, finish laundry, and take care of some volunteer shit. I hate, hate, HATE that there are church politics and politics in youth sports. 

Of course you do!  But only if it pertains to children, soap operas, bon bons, recipes, or Heloise Helpline-type tips.

It sounds like most of us are having great weather!  Spring is awesome.  Like a lot of you, I am also on a laundry mission tonight.  My H has left laundry in both the washer and the dryer since the weekend.  I gave him stern instructions this morning that they need to be gone because I need to do laundry tonight.  To be fair, he offered to do my laundry, but I don't trust his understanding of the delicate cycles and told him not to worry about it.

Other than that, not too much going on.  Which is a good thing.  Just trying to stay drama-free.

Edited to add:

@NiceKindaSpice, I'm sorry to hear you all have been having rough days.  Congrats to your sister!  That is an amazing accomplisment

@charlotte989875, I can't speak personally.  But a poster on a different board I frequent has to go to a lot of cocktail parties for her job.  She uses Rent the Runway fairly often and absolutely loves it.  I'm not sure about timing, but she has said it is an easy service to use and is a bargain way to add variety to her wardrobe.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2017
    Yesterday was such a gorgeous day and today is just meh outside. It's been a tough few days for my family, it's like we lose a few members everyday. Over the weekend we lost 7. I feel so disassociated from it. I've been spending increasing time on planning my wedding because I feel like all those people will just show up. I'm inclined to make welcome baskets for them but then my brain calls me on my delusions. Things have gotten to the point where we've a dedicated time for discussing how many people we've lost today and who and if we should tell the others who are really old and/or dying themselves. But for the first day in a few months, everyone was safe yesterday. 
    Sorry to be such a downer. 

in positive news: my younger sister worked hard at her junior high school and the district elementary schools to fundraise for the past few months. On Saturday, she received an award because her team manage to collectively raise 30k. At 11, she's that association's youngest recipient. So that's really fun. 

@charlotte989875 Best of luck with that application! 
    @atomicblonde I'm sorry, I forget: are you working with an accountant? 
    Wow. I can't imagine that many losses in a weekend. Hugs to you.

edited because I read wrong 
  • @NiceKindaSpice I'm so sorry for your losses...7!  I don't even know what to say.  And congrats to little sis - that's awesome.
  • So glad you like it @CharmedPam. Our dog is terrified of it, but the cat just looks annoyed. 

Has as anyone here done rent the runway? How far in advance do you order? I've got a May wedding I want to rent for (formal attire listed on the invite), but haven't used it yet. Any thoughts?
    I love Rent the Runway.  I can probably send you a referral code.  I love it so much I pay for the yearly membership b/c what it saves me in insurance/S&H/free birthday dress, pays for itself.  For a May wedding, I'd probably get something reserved now.  You'll just find your selection will get more limited the closer you get to the date you want to rent it.  They  have plenty to choose from, but there's something super disappointing about seeing a great dress, liking it, and then not being able to get it.

You choose if you want a 4 day or 7 day rental and what day you want to receive it.  I usually get the 4 days and have it delivered Thursday for a Saturday event.  That way if it doesn't fit or is otherwise not satisfactory, they have time to overnight me something new.  I've had to do that 2x, no complaints at all with the service of doing that.

I had my meeting about my bully last night.  It went well; we have a management plan, which is good and cooler heads/minds prevailed.  I keep musing why I seem to have an "I Hate Varuna" club.  I also tend to think that I put myself out there as a leader and I'm fairly successful at it, so haters gonna hate, I guess.

I'm ready for the weekend.
  • 6fsn said:

I've got the summer signups complete.  M2 and I were going to go rollerblading today, but we got thunderstorms instead.  I need to clean, finish laundry, and take care of some volunteer shit. I hate, hate, HATE that there are church politics and politics in youth sports. 

Of course you do!  But only if it pertains to children, soap operas, bon bons, recipes, or Heloise Helpline-type tips.

LOL, I told DH this was my life yesterday.

Google: "How to get ballpoint pen out of car trim..." (When we got to the part about brake cleaner fluid, we were like "NOPE.")

Google: "How to get crayon out of clothes..."  (Red crayon went through the dryer when I was doing post-trip laundry and melted red all over everything--those instructions actually worked, mostly.)
  • Heffalump said:
    6fsn said:

LOL, I told DH this was my life yesterday.

Google: "How to get ballpoint pen out of car trim..." (When we got to the part about brake cleaner fluid, we were like "NOPE.")

Google: "How to get crayon out of clothes..."  (Red crayon went through the dryer when I was doing post-trip laundry and melted red all over everything--those instructions actually worked, mostly.)
    Fun fact:  My grandparents live in the same neighborhood as Heloise.  ;)  

Their house is also close to Tommy Lee Jones' Texas house/ranch/compound.  
  • @NiceKindaSpice; no, we're not working with an accountant.  I suggested that we do, but DH didn't think we would need to.  We'll see.  We're still waiting on some of our relocation forms/docs to be issued, and I've been told that's a 2-year process, so next tax-season should be super fun!

Also, I'm sorry for your losses.

@charlotte989875, I am also considering Rent the Runway for a "black tie optional" (DAFUQ?) wedding later this summer.  I'll be curious to hear your thoughts if you use it.  

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @NiceKindaSpice; no, we're not working with an accountant.  I suggested that we do, but DH didn't think we would need to.  We'll see.  We're still waiting on some of our relocation forms/docs to be issued, and I've been told that's a 2-year process, so next tax-season should be super fun!

Also, I'm sorry for your losses.

@charlotte989875, I am also considering Rent the Runway for a "black tie optional" (DAFUQ?) wedding later this summer.  I'll be curious to hear your thoughts if you use it.  
     I bet you were planning on wearing your nice jeans or your favorite flannel until you saw that on the invite weren't you?
    StitchFix has sent me some really cute skinnies...

--Philip Pullman

• mrsconn23 said:

Conway Twitty used to have a house near me. Not near as cool as Tommy Lee Jones.
  • @ILoveBeachMusic, Happy Birthday!  And happy early b-day for your H and happy early anniversary :).  It is a fun week at the BeachMusic house!  Enjoy your play tonight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:

Conway Twitty used to have a house near me. Not near as cool as Tommy Lee Jones.
    I grew up a 10-minute walk from Nixon's West Coast White House.  He left town shortly after he resigned.  I was still an infant/toddler, so obviously no memories of that.  But I remember his daughter and her family went to my church on occasion. I think they kept their home much longer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker