Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday Woes

2»

Re: Wednesday Woes

• Options
    @OurWildKingdom, that happened to me a lot when I was looking for a RD location.  I never even mentioned "wedding" or "RD," all I said was "Private dinner party for X people," and there was still a $2k minimum at most places (even more in some places).  We ended up just renting out the top room of a brew-pub and paid for exactly what we consumed (+ tax and tip).

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    The first venue that responded to my inquiry wants a $3000 food and beverage minimum. For brunch for ~20 people. Not going to happen.

Tried two places FW likes. No private rooms.

Contacted another place that looks promising. They only have a $500 food and beverage minimum for brunch. The event coordinator promised to send me photos and a few sample menus.

In other news, it's been a nice quiet day at work. But Aunt Flo is in town, and I'm cramping and always hungry. 
    That is nuts!  I almost feel like it is one of those deals where if you had called and said, "We're celebrating my mom's birthday on X date and will have 20 people for brunch.  Is it possible to reserve a private room?"  The answer would have been very different.  But the minute you say "wedding"...cha-ching, let the cash register ring.
    exactly.  Same food.  Same service and you'll get a different price on it.

Someone I know had a PPD, and had it at a hotel near here.  She didn't mention a wedding because she knew of the cost difference and said it was a family reunion when getting quotes.  She also wore a wedding dress which I think would have been a BIG clue to the catering staff?  I don't know how it went....i mean it wasn't her wedding. It was a PPD, so technically she shouldn't have been charged wedding prices....?

• Options
    The first venue that responded to my inquiry wants a $3000 food and beverage minimum. For brunch for ~20 people. Not going to happen.

Contacted another place that looks promising. They only have a $500 food and beverage minimum for brunch. The event coordinator promised to send me photos and a few sample menus.

In other news, it's been a nice quiet day at work. But Aunt Flo is in town, and I'm cramping and always hungry. 
    That is nuts!  I almost feel like it is one of those deals where if you had called and said, "We're celebrating my mom's birthday on X date and will have 20 people for brunch.  Is it possible to reserve a private room?"  The answer would have been very different.  But the minute you say "wedding"...cha-ching, let the cash register ring.
    Nope, their brochure said $3000 food and beverage minimum on Friday and Saturday. Sunday brunch is $1500 minimum. If we were having more people, sure, no problem, but with our guest list it's still $60-$75 per person for brunch.

I also texted our original photographer to see if she's interested and available and e-mailed our original caterer to check prices for breakfast goodies, cake, and cookies.
  • Options

Nope, their brochure said $3000 food and beverage minimum on Friday and Saturday. Sunday brunch is $1500 minimum. If we were having more people, sure, no problem, but with our guest list it's still $60-$75 per person for brunch.

I also texted our original photographer to see if she's interested and available and e-mailed our original caterer to check prices for breakfast goodies, cake, and cookies.

Fair enough!  That had been my suspicion, but at least they are consistent.  I'm assuming you could always just make a reservation for 20 people, but then wouldn't have the private room.

Or moving on to another location, like it sounds like you all are doing.

I love the idea of a brunch with a small guest list.  I'm sure it will be the wonderful and special day you all deserve :).

Wedding Countdown Ticker