Wedding Woes
Options

Monday

2»

Re: Monday

• Options

Ahhh!!!  I just got a call and we're getting a home visit!!  And they're bringing the dog, which they don't normally do, but since we've already met him and they liked our questions over the weekend at the event, they want to see how he reacts in our house.  So glad I spent the morning cleaning now.  We were a disaster after the past few weeks

Good luck!  Get that puppers :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@divarhd, I completely understand the impulse to "go Irish" on FMIL.  I have some ILs that sorely tested that impulse, and the Irish in me finally won. The fallout is still filtering down, and right now it was worth the cost for so many reasons, but it may not always be that way. But it was years in the making, and it was a serious test of my relationship with DH.

I agree with @charlotte989875.  It's one thing to set boundaries, but it's a completely different beast to seek out confrontation to achieve the same.  You and your FI have to be completely prepared to burn those bridges and accept whatever fallout may come.  I think all 3 of you should sit down and have a conversation together to establish, if not some form of understanding, boundaries of what is and is not acceptable.

I felt much the same way you did, but I knew that any kind of confrontation or escalation would make things exponentially worse.  And it did.  And honestly, nothing has changed, except those people are no longer in our lives.  And that's as much a lose-situation as a win, because it should never have gotten to that point.

So if you don't think escalating things will make a difference, why go that route and risk the fallout?

Maybe flatten wasn't the right word, that's my momma talking ;)

FI said before, when the church business came up, he is prepared to not have his mother in his life.  I would rather it not come to that, but I think she needs to know how she's making us feel.  He talked to her, he'll talk to her again this week because his parents are supposed to meet mine on Sunday and the time has to be worked out.  So whether I think it'll help or hinder the relationship with HER, I know 100% FI has my back.  Has to stand up to her in that moment when she's being mean or rude or inappropriate and not just talked to her about it after the fact.  It's like if you keep picking at a scab it'll never heal, but put some Neosporin on after you pick it and maybe it'll get better?  I dunno....I do know I appreciate everyone here and your advice <3 

Met: 5/4/16
    Dating: 6/21/16
    Engaged: 3/20/17
    Wedding: 2/24/18
  • Options
    @DrillSergeantCat  I like my MIL but I wouldn't want her to live with us. Same deal goes for my mum, unless we had a place that was essentially their own "apartment" kinda deal.

Cutie babies! :)
  • Options

@DrillSergeantCat  I like my MIL but I wouldn't want her to live with us. Same deal goes for my mum, unless we had a place that was essentially their own "apartment" kinda deal.

Cutie babies! :)

This x1000.  I had an ex whose parents separated while we were dating.  His mother started worrying about what would happen in the future.  Would they have to sell the house and split it, etc.  The ex had starting thinking about buying his first place and was very seriously considering getting something big enough where, if his mom needed somewhere to move, she could move in with him.

It was really awkward for me because, we'd been dating a long time and I thought wedding bells were a potential for the future...but I wasn't his fiancée yet.  I would NEVER live in the same house with his mom.  At least not for any long term amount of time.  But we weren't living together and I didn't think it was my place to tell him that was a dealbreaker for me.  I just pointed out that he should consider "once she moves in, she'll probably never leave, and you're still a young man, do you really want to spend your whole adult life living with your mom?"

At any rate, we broke up and it was no longer my concern.  Though a few more years went by after that conversation and he never did buy his own place.

My mom is a really sweet and respectful person.  But I wouldn't want to live with her again either, unless it was a short-term kind of emergency.

@DrillSergeantCat, oh, the babies!  They are just darling.

I don't know what your handyman was thinking.  "We'll just sand and repaint the cabinets"...in one day...nbd (smh).  It takes an insane amount of time.  My H has done that for two houses.  And the cabinets usually have to be painted twice.  So it is a couple days between each of those coats.

What a wacky neighbor.  To put it nicely.  What does the house she's renting...doesn't even own...have to do with your house and it's selling price?  I would have joked, "Yes, that's interesting.  But what do you think about the tea futures in China?"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I've come to the conclusion that I could not live with my Mom. We're too much alike. I could live with my Dad, except for the part about him complaining about all the animals.

Busy day today. Playing catch-up from Friday and getting interrupted every five minutes. Story of my life.

I'm dreading trying to park for our Monday meeting. It's Dyngus Day (a HUGE deal in Cleveland), and the height of the celebration is in the neighborhood where our meeting is.

Right now I'm going through my planner and waiting for 5:00 so I can call a restaurant we're interested in for the reception.

ETA: In case anyone is curious about Dyngus Day, it's kind of a Polish Mardi Gras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śmigus-dyngus

• Options

@WinstonsGirl  it has it's moments ;)

@short+sassy  Boston! So random :)
    {to those in Boston, I'm counting you as Canadians now ;)! welcome!}

Thank you! For those of us in Boston who are human beings, being part of the US is getting scarier and scarier. I'm so proud to be an honorary Canadian!!
  • Options
    Re: living with mom/parents. The older I get and especially now with a baby I would love to have them nearby. Maybe not living in the same house unless it was like in law quarters or a duplex - would need separate quarters I think but I'd be ok with close by
  • Options
    @short+sassy There's no way I'd want to live with his mother. Literally all she does is watch the Hallmark channel or CBS. She has zero hobbies other than gambling. We're planning on moving to be closer to my mom, though, because she's actually helpful.

Re: handyman - the cabinets didn't need much sanding really, just enough to scuff the surface. I'm still not sure why he didn't do that. At any rate, they got the job finished last night and it looks so much brighter and cleaner in there. 

Re: the neighbor - I think she's figured out that owning is cheaper than renting sometimes and was thinking about trying to buy the house at $70,000. It just pissed me off that the tenants told her that price since that was a special deal we gave THEM since they were friends. It was basically us selling the house to them for $85,000 but considering all the rent they'd paid as a down payment.

Re: babies - thank you!