Chit Chat

At Home bridal shopping?

Howdy! 
I was running through this idea while i was dress shopping-anyone come across a business (other than e-commerce) that brings the wedding shop to your home, like a host party? Would anyone out there use a service like this? Looking to see if there's a market for this
Thnaks!

Re: At Home bridal shopping?

• No way. Those host parties make you feel like you HAVE to buy something and I wouldn't want that pressure. Sure some people might choose and buy the first perfect slinky dress they try on that happens to be the perfect size but sizes are weird and dresses can be poufy and huge. You would need basically a trailer to bring in enough different styles in a bunch of different sizes.

• HS/college business plan project? 
  • I agree this sounds like a vendor OR some sort of school project.

Either way, no. I would never use that service. Those at-home parties always feel uncomfortable to me, like I'm forced to buy something. Add that with the sheer volume of inventory you'd have to have to bring to each house, and it sounds improbable, if not impossible. Dresses aren't something like makeup or candles that you can buy without totally testing it out (if you wanted a different color than the hostess had, for example), and a wedding dress is a big investment (financially and emotionally). I feel like people already DO shop in their home by buying several dresses online and inviting friends over for a mini-fashion show if they feel so inclined.
  • I always appreciate an out-of-the-box idea.  But I don't see how anything wedding related could be a "host" type party.  You're talking about "brides only" who would be the targeted market.  That's a really slim niche.

If you're talking about dresses specifically, there isn't a doubt in my mind that...if I was swimming in serious cash...I could get a personal shopper to go borrow a bunch of dresses from a variety of stores (with hefty security deposits at each) and bring them to me to try on in the leisure of my mansion.  But that's "polo ponies and yachts" kind of money.

I think the average woman, probably even women who could afford personal shoppers, prefer to just go to a store where they can feast their eyes on all the beautiful gowns and try as many on as they want.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I always appreciate an out-of-the-box idea.  But I don't see how anything wedding related could be a "host" type party.  You're talking about "brides only" who would be the targeted market.  That's a really slim niche.

If you're talking about dresses specifically, there isn't a doubt in my mind that...if I was swimming in serious cash...I could get a personal shopper to go borrow a bunch of dresses from a variety of stores (with hefty security deposits at each) and bring them to me to try on in the leisure of my mansion.  But that's "polo ponies and yachts" kind of money.

I think the average woman, probably even women who could afford personal shoppers, prefer to just go to a store where they can feast their eyes on all the beautiful gowns and try as many on as they want.

100% this. Why would I wait around and host people at my house for the opportunity to try on ~10-15 dresses when I can spend an afternoon out and try on as many dresses in as many styles as I would want? If its going to take me the same amount of time to host a part as it is to go shopping then it isn't saving me anything. If anything it's costing me money because I am providing snacks/beverages for anyone also invited to this party as the host. 
  • I don't see how this makes sense as a host party. I would consider something along the lines of stitch fix, where they send you a box of options to try on in your leisure, then you only keep what you want to buy. But it's wholly impractical given the shipping weight of wedding dresses. 
  • I tried on over 100 dresses (ugh, I hated it by the end).  Where would you park the semi to carry all of these dresses??  My driveway is too short