Wedding Woes

Tuesday!

13»

Re: Tuesday!

• @6fsn if you're still thinking Caribbean (potentially all-inclusive) look into the Cayman Islands/Grand Cayman as well. You could visit the turtle farm and Hell, stingray city, snorkel or dive, hang out on the beach, do a lot of water activities, and there's some historical stuff from the colonial period. English is the most common language, and from a safety, security, medical, and amenities standpoint, they're pretty much on par with the US.

Puerto Rico had a lot of diversity in terms of activities - we stayed in San Juan, but rented a car and visited some other parts of the island. Old San Juan has 2 historical forts that you can visit and a lot of cool shops and restaurants. You can tour the Bacardi factory (some drinks included). You'll have some nice beaches, El Yunque tropical rainforest (about 1 hour drive from San Juan) - you can hike and swim in the pools under the waterfalls (which is crazy refreshing after the hike), can go caving in Rio Camuy Caves and visit the radio sattelite (part of SETI) - they're about a 90 minute drive from San Juan. You can also go kayaking and visit the bioluminescent bays, which is a really cool experience. If you like seafood and plantains, you're going to enjoy some of the local dishes. (I'm not a fan of either, but they do pork really well, too.) Even though the primary language is Spanish, a lot of people speak some English. If you know some basic Spanish, you shouldn't have any issues getting around. 

Jamaica - we've enjoyed our stops on cruises, but have generally treated this as a beach day. I know you can do different activities like water sports, climb Dunn's river falls, go zip-lining, but from a safety standpoint, I've heard it's only really recommended to leave the resorts with a "verified" tour group. (Look through AAA or a reputable travel company/agent). We haven't made it to Dunns because it's like a 3 hour drive from the port and a lot of people don't have enough time to climb the falls once they get there. Jerk chicken and pork are excellent. beaches are nice. I don't think they have much of a reef system, so you may be more limited on things like snorkeling or diving.