Chit Chat

Recruiter Issues

I have been working with an accounting employment agency for a couple of years off an on. Recently, I submitted my resume for a position I found interesting and a recruiter called me. On the 5th of this month, she called and left a message asking me to call her back. I called her back 2.5 hours later and left a voicemail. I've sent her a text message. I've also called another time and left another voicemail. She's not returning my calls. I've decided to email her, but I think my email might be too aggressive. Can I get some opinions?

Good morning, Laura. 
I called Tuesday regarding a position I was interested in, but I haven't heard back from you. The last we spoke, you were going to check again with Mathis Brothers that was more than two weeks ago. Am I to take your lack of communication as indication that you are not interested in assisting me with finding employment? If this is the case, please let me know and I will stop bothering you by calling, leaving voicemails, and texts.

Catherine

Re: Recruiter Issues

• Omg yes way way too aggressive

Laura,

Following up on my call on Tuesday, I am still interested in the position with Mathis Brothers. Have you been able to find any more information about it?

Thanks,

Catherine

I thought so. Your version is maybe too far the other direction. Can you help me come up with something that indicates my concern at the lack of communication?
  • Laura,

I am following up on my call from Tuesday.  I have not heard from you, but would like to express my continued interest in the position with Mathis Brothers.  Do you have any further information about the position, or would you be able to direct me towards another individual who can help?

Thank you for your time,

Catherine.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Help me out, here: is this the kind of recruiter that you pay, or does the company pay them?  If it's the former, then as a paying customer, you do have a right to service in exchange for their fee, and if not, they can be prepared for you to take your business elsewhere.

I only have experience with the latter.  In which case, I hate to tell you this, but if she's not getting back to you, you're almost certainly out of the running. (For whatever reason: they hired someone else, they declined to consider you, they decided not to hire anyone at this time, whatever.)  That doesn't mean I think she's behaving professionally.  I'm just saying, if getting you hired would get her paid, she'd be on it. 

• Omg yes way way too aggressive

Laura,

Following up on my call on Tuesday, I am still interested in the position with Mathis Brothers. Have you been able to find any more information about it?

Thanks,

Catherine

I thought so. Your version is maybe too far the other direction. Can you help me come up with something that indicates my concern at the lack of communication?

unless you're paying her I don't think she cares about your concerns tbh. 
  • edited April 2017

Heffalump said:

Help me out, here: is this the kind of recruiter that you pay, or does the company pay them?  If it's the former, then as a paying customer, you do have a right to service in exchange for their fee, and if not, they can be prepared for you to take your business elsewhere.

I only have experience with the latter.  In which case, I hate to tell you this, but if she's not getting back to you, you're almost certainly out of the running. (For whatever reason: they hired someone else, they declined to consider you, they decided not to hire anyone at this time, whatever.)  That doesn't mean I think she's behaving professionally.  I'm just saying, if getting you hired would get her paid, she'd be on it. 

It's the latter and I'm certain I'm out of the running for the position at MB. My concern is that I've called and texted about another position listed online as new and received zero response even to say, "They went another direction" or "I did submit you for the other position you inquired about" or "I don't have any new positions right now." I feel like her ignoring my calls, one per week, is her way of saying she's not interested in representing me.

eta for clarity

• Heffalump said:

Help me out, here: is this the kind of recruiter that you pay, or does the company pay them?  If it's the former, then as a paying customer, you do have a right to service in exchange for their fee, and if not, they can be prepared for you to take your business elsewhere.

It's the latter and I'm certain I'm out of the running for the position at MB. My concern is that I've called and texted and received zero response even to say, "They went another direction" or "I did submit you for the other position you inquired about" or "I don't have any new positions right now." I feel like her ignoring my calls, one per week, is her way of saying she's not interested in representing me.

TBH, she probably isn't.  If she doesn't have anything thatyou're currently a good fit for, then your resume is probably in a file somewhere, and she's on to her next opening.  @STARMOON44 is right: she answers to the people who pay her, period.  It would be awesome if she were more responsive, and it sucks that she's not, but it is what it is.

• Heffalump said:

TBH, she probably isn't.  If she doesn't have anything thatyou're currently a good fit for, then your resume is probably in a file somewhere, and she's on to her next opening.  @STARMOON44 is right: she answers to the people who pay her, period.  It would be awesome if she were more responsive, and it sucks that she's not, but it is what it is.

It's just frustrating because she went from calling daily, to saying I'll call you tomorrow, to nothing. I'm hoping I'll get this position I applied for yesterday and not have to deal with her. Then again, I don't have to get another job to not have to deal with her. I can withdraw my intent.
  • I got myself all worked up and she just called. She says never got my other messages. The job I wanted her to submit me for hasn't started interviewing yet so that's good. 
  • That's still promising. 

I had trouble with recruiters when I used some too, back in the day.  Thing is, you think they'd WANT to respond to the non payers - because eventually she will get paid by the hiring company anyway and needs the non paying prospects in order to do that!

• That's still promising. 

I had trouble with recruiters when I used some too, back in the day.  Thing is, you think they'd WANT to respond to the non payers - because eventually she will get paid by the hiring company anyway and needs the non paying prospects in order to do that!

That's my thinking!
  • I'm glad it got resolved!  I also thought your original e-mail was way too aggressive.

My suggestion was going to be to call the main line of the office and say something like, "Hi, I'm Catherine (Smith), I've been speaking with Laura about the position at MB, but haven't been able to get in touch with her for X days.  She's usually so responsive and I just wanted to double check that she hasn't been out of the office or had another recruiter handling this position."

Not necessarily for jobs/recruiting, but I can't tell you how many times I've been trying to get in touch with someone about something...only to find out they've left the company.  Or have been on vacation, etc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm glad it got resolved!  I also thought your original e-mail was way too aggressive.

My suggestion was going to be to call the main line of the office and say something like, "Hi, I'm Catherine (Smith), I've been speaking with Laura about the position at MB, but haven't been able to get in touch with her for X days.  She's usually so responsive and I just wanted to double check that she hasn't been out of the office or had another recruiter handling this position."

Not necessarily for jobs/recruiting, but I can't tell you how many times I've been trying to get in touch with someone about something...only to find out they've left the company.  Or have been on vacation, etc.

I thought that might have been the case because they have a fairly high turnover rate there, but the position I was inquiring about was listed by her.