Wedding Etiquette Forum

Planning Overseas for an At-Home Wedding

My fiance and I currently live and work in Japan and we are attempting to plan a wedding for next spring (likely late April/early May). We can reasonably only go back home for a week around New Years and then 2 weeks for the wedding, so what's some advice to ease the planning? I don't want to push too much work on my parents and in-laws. We have a tight budget as well which doesn't entirely help. Any and all advice would be helpful! :)
"I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.... It means no." -Alistair, Dragon Age Origins

Re: Planning Overseas for an At-Home Wedding

• The internet is your friend. The only things we did in person were venue tours and cake tasting. Everything else you should be able to do either online or in japan. How many people are you hosting?
  • Agree with the above recommendations. You could also look at hiring a wedding planner. Extra money but they could certainly be helpful with checking things out.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We planned our wedding from another province. I did the majority of the work in my "away" province. Searched places online, called them up, and got quotes. I did have an opportunity to go to our wedding city twice before the wedding. The first time I toured 3 venues and booked one. The second visit we met with 3 florists, 2 DJs, 3 photogs, 2 bakers, and officiant, made a decision and signed the contracts.

I agree that waiting until December before your April/May wedding is too late to book a venue and probably most of your vendors (at least if you are particular or really need to watch the budget), so I would try to do what you can online/over the phone to book your vendors. Contracts can be scanned then e-mailed or faxed.

If your family is available, they could look at some places/vendors for you and let you know what they think, but I think ultimately I'd still do the initial negotiations and contract yourselves.
  • We didn't plan from overseas, but we did plan in another city. 95% of our planning was done remotely. We made one trip to the city to meet with vendors. We didn't have tastings. None of our parents live in that city, so we didn't have any "gophers" or people helping us (who weren't paid). It wasn't that big of a deal - I honestly don't think there are too many things that absolutely have to be done in person. 
    *********************************************************************************

• mrsjapanmrsjapan member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2017
    Thanks! I already booked a venue that'll do the ceremony and reception along with including catering and a bar service (talk about convenience!) My parents have been ultra helpful but where I think I'll run into issues the most will be the dresses and grooms wear. Think it'll be safe to pick them out 4 months in advance and not deal with it till the week before?
    "I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.... It means no." -Alistair, Dragon Age Origins

• Thanks! I already booked a venue that'll do the ceremony and reception along with including catering and a bar service (talk about convenience!) My parents have been ultra helpful but where I think I'll run into issues the most will be the dresses and grooms wear. Think it'll be safe to pick them out 4 months in advance and not deal with it till the week before?

So I had 4 BMs living in 3 different states. H had 4 GMs living in 3 different states. I just picked a brand, length and color and let them order whatever within that (there were 4 or 5 different dress types). H just had his GMs wear black suits, white shirts, black shoes and we bought them matching ties. 

Neither the BMs or GMs went shopping together or to fittings. It really was never necessary. 

As far as timing, depending on the brand, 4 months is plenty of time. Especially if you pick a dress that isn't a special order, typical BM dress. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks! I already booked a venue that'll do the ceremony and reception along with including catering and a bar service (talk about convenience!) My parents have been ultra helpful but where I think I'll run into issues the most will be the dresses and grooms wear. Think it'll be safe to pick them out 4 months in advance and not deal with it till the week before?

If I were you, I'd look into getting my wedding dress in Asia.  I don't know about Japan or nearby areas specifically.  But I know in Hong Kong and South Korea, you could get a gorgeous custom made dress for a fraction of the cost of even an "off the rack" gown in the U.S.

For traveling with it, you could either ship it to your parent's house or shrink it way down in one of the "vacuum seal" bags and put it in your luggage or even carry-on.  I got married OOT from where I live and that was EXACTLY how I carried my dress on the plane with me.  Though, with either of those options, you'd probably have to have it pressed at a dry cleaners, once you are in the States.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My fiance and I currently live and work in Japan and we are attempting to plan a wedding for next spring (likely late April/early May). We can reasonably only go back home for a week around New Years and then 2 weeks for the wedding, so what's some advice to ease the planning? I don't want to push too much work on my parents and in-laws. We have a tight budget as well which doesn't entirely help. Any and all advice would be helpful! :)

You and your FI are not planning a wedding.  You and your husband are planning a PPD with permission from your parents to lie to all friends and family. 

The good news is that you no longer have to worry about unnecessary expenses.  My advice would be to host an inexpensive celebration party.
  • I'm laughing because this is absurd. You're already married, yet you're making your parents work to help with venues, you're making your nearest and dearest purchase dresses, and to kick it off, they're all getting the same generic BM gift. For your PPD. Which you are clearly lying to them about. But you're trying to be religious. Right. 

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    edited April 2017

levioosa said:

I'm laughing because this is absurd. You're already married, yet you're making your parents work to help with venues, you're making your nearest and dearest purchase dresses, and to kick it off, they're all getting the same generic BM gift. For your PPD. Which you are clearly lying to them about. But you're trying to be religious. Right. 

@levioosa BUT THE APPEARANCES!

Never mind lying to family and friends, defrauding governments, and cheating employers out of benefits, the NEIGHBOURS opinion of me having a private elopement is more important to me than being a total douchecanoe and causing irreparable damage to the people closest to me. But it's not my fault, my parents made me do it!

Mate, if you are worried about the appearances now, imagine the appearances when this all blows up and people find out you are already married. The truth ALWAYS comes out. There are thousands of stories on here about people being livid about finding out they attended a PPD. Being lied to because you want a party is a friendship ending move. 
  • ei34ei34 member

Wait, so you are not only lying and having a fake wedding,  you are making friends spend money on you to be Wifesmaids and you are lying to them that you are already married?! Wow, that is being a terrible friend.

I cannot believe you are using your Christian faith to justify you being a liar, cheater and a thief. You are literally lying to your vicar, family and closest friends. FOR. A.PARTY! That is the lowest of the low. Proverbs 13:5. 

Wifemaids has officially replaced brideslaves as my favorite riff on "bridesmaids".  Except that they would literally be wifemaids, since OP you're a wife not a bride.  Isn't it silly and ridiculous when you think about it?!
  • Ok, am I using the wrong labels? My family knows I'm married and they're still on board for a ceremony, it's just a celebration of marriage or whatever you want to call it. My wifemaids or whatever are very excited and I'm not demanding anything from anyone, I've been doing all the research myself and getting the go ahead from my parents. I'm very tired I have to keep explaining myself on every post I've made or commented on just because I used the wrong label and now you've all tossed me to the curb. I came to this site to look for advice and support but you've mostly been rude and insulting using the anonymity of the internet. Also I AM NOT RELIGIOUS for many reasons so this event will not have any of that, I just want to do vows anyway. So thanks knotties, you've been great.

• You are an adult. Even if you have "the go ahead" from your parents you are not absolved from lying.This isn't "tell gramma you loved the sweater she knitted you"

• Ok, am I using the wrong labels? My family knows I'm married and they're still on board for a ceremony, it's just a celebration of marriage or whatever you want to call it. My wifemaids or whatever are very excited and I'm not demanding anything from anyone, I've been doing all the research myself and getting the go ahead from my parents. I'm very tired I have to keep explaining myself on every post I've made or commented on just because I used the wrong label and now you've all tossed me to the curb. I came to this site to look for advice and support but you've mostly been rude and insulting using the anonymity of the internet. Also I AM NOT RELIGIOUS for many reasons so this event will not have any of that, I just want to do vows anyway. So thanks knotties, you've been great.

Actually labels aren't your biggest concern here, so don't let that hang you up. Neither is religion.

Here's the thing you should be focused on:
    You are planning a full on wedding ceremony. As a wife. Like, you are a married woman planning to play dress up and pretend to be a bride so your friends and family can witness a fake wedding ceremony. I know you want that because your wedding vision probably involved something like that and not city hall, but that's not where your actual life took you. Your actual life took you to Japan and you had to make a choice so that you could live your husband. Grow up and accept that. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's reality. 

Cut the fake ceremony (still have the party) and you're back in good etiquette territory. This is not rocket science.

So, if instead I have a celebration with a vow renewal, it's all ok?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited April 2017
    Having a celebration is OK.  Having a Vow Renewal is not appropriate at this time because you are a newlywed.  Vow Renewals are for people who have been married for some time and are celebrating the successful length of their marriage.

My daughter has attended quite a few PPDs.  She tells me that so many people are rolling their eyes at the unnecessary expense and attention seeking the bride is indulging in.  "You know, this is just a sham!  They are already married!" sort of thing.  Do you really want this, or can you just have a nice celebration party?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Actually labels aren't your biggest concern here, so don't let that hang you up. Neither is religion.

Here's the thing you should be focused on:
    You are planning a full on wedding ceremony. As a wife. Like, you are a married woman planning to play dress up and pretend to be a bride so your friends and family can witness a fake wedding ceremony. I know you want that because your wedding vision probably involved something like that and not city hall, but that's not where your actual life took you. Your actual life took you to Japan and you had to make a choice so that you could live your husband. Grow up and accept that. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's reality. 

Cut the fake ceremony (still have the party) and you're back in good etiquette territory. This is not rocket science.

So, if instead I have a celebration with a vow renewal, it's all ok?

You want the wedding ceremony you didn't have and you're trying to call it something else to make it ok by etiquette standards. So IMO, it's not really a vow renewal. 

Vow renewals are usually for milestone anniversaries, like 50, 25 years and sometimes people will do them after a major struggle or illness they overcome to show renewed commitment. 

Plus vow renewals don't have attendants or anything and you're planning to have that. 

You really just need to be honest with yourself, OP. You got married because reasons and that's your story. Any amount of pretending or "do over" ceremonies isn't going to change that. Just own it and celebrate with a party. 

I kind of disagree; sure vow renewals are typically done at large/milestone anniversaries, but as long as a couple is upfront with it, I guess I don't see the problem. I attended a vow renewal for a couple's third anniversary; they had married when she joined the army, they had a private ceremony, and then renewed their vows with family and friends three years later. They owned their choice, there was no deception, and everyone knew what the deal was. It was great, well hosted. 

Now if a couple (i.e. Seal and Heidi Klum) renew their vows every year, with the same guest list everyone, I might side eye that a bit. But I guess I just don't see the etiquette violation with renewing vows and hosting a party. 
  • @charlotte989875 - More and more, I think couples are abusing the term "vow renewal". They're using it to have the wedding ceremony they wanted/feel they deserve and didn't get to have for whatever reason. 

This OP, especially, has been clear that she "didn't have a wedding"/"only signed the papers" and wants to have one because she's always dreamed about walking down the aisle, so she's going to do a ceremony with all the trappings (including bridesmaids). That is the definition of a PPD/re-do/fake wedding. She even said she's going to have two wedding anniversaries, so yea. She's considering this a wedding. She's only  now calling it a vow renewal because she seems to think it makes what she's doing ok. Is she lying? Well no, but she planned to originally before she came here (eyeroll). 

• @charlotte989875 - More and more, I think couples are abusing the term "vow renewal". They're using it to have the wedding ceremony they wanted/feel they deserve and didn't get to have for whatever reason. 

This OP, especially, has been clear that she "didn't have a wedding"/"only signed the papers" and wants to have one because she's always dreamed about walking down the aisle, so she's going to do a ceremony with all the trappings (including bridesmaids). That is the definition of a PPD/re-do/fake wedding. She even said she's going to have two wedding anniversaries, so yea. She's considering this a wedding. She's only  now calling it a vow renewal because she seems to think it makes what she's doing ok. Is she lying? Well no, but she planned to originally before she came here (eyeroll). 

That's a good point. And I think it's a fine line. My friends did a vow renewal in part because they wanted their friends and family to witness them make a renewed commitment to one another, but a big part was that they had been through a cross country move, she went to basic training, another relocations, a deployment, and wanted to reaffirm their commitment, with their friends and family. 

I agree that with the OP there doesn't seem to be much about why she and her H want to have another ceremony committing to one another, but rather about the party/ceremony/wedding frills; but I definitely can see the case where a couple would want a renewal outside of traditional milestone years. 

That's a good point. And I think it's a fine line. My friends did a vow renewal in part because they wanted their friends and family to witness them make a renewed commitment to one another, but a big part was that they had been through a cross country move, she went to basic training, another relocations, a deployment, and wanted to reaffirm their commitment, with their friends and family. 

I agree that with the OP there doesn't seem to be much about why she and her H want to have another ceremony committing to one another, but rather about the party/ceremony/wedding frills; but I definitely can see the case where a couple would want a renewal outside of traditional milestone years. 

I tend to be "PPD-lite".  While I agree with @southernbelle0915, that people are over-using the term "vow renewal" to have the wedding ceremony they wanted and didn't have.  I also don't really see anything wrong with it or see it as being much different from a celebration of marriage party...as long as all the guests know what is going on.  I also think the couple can wear whatever they want, even if the wife wears a wedding gown.

As a guest, would I find it a little weird that a married couple is going through this much money and trouble to throw a big celebration or vow renewal party?  Yeah, I would.  But not usually in a side-eye way.

With that said, I did have a former coworker planning a vow renewal for their 8th anniversary.  The whole 9 yards.  And that was also about how long the train on her "wedding" gown was, lol.  Their actual wedding was the whole 9 yards.  200+ guests.  No expense spared.  And she loved that day so much she wanted to recreate it.   I did side-eye THAT event.  For context, even outside of her vow renewal, she was one of the most attention-grabbing people I have ever met.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I tend to be "PPD-lite".  While I agree with @southernbelle0915, that people are over-using the term "vow renewal" to have the wedding ceremony they wanted and didn't have.  I also don't really see anything wrong with it or see it as being much different from a celebration of marriage party...as long as all the guests know what is going on.  I also think the couple can wear whatever they want, even if the wife wears a wedding gown.

As a guest, would I find it a little weird that a married couple is going through this much money and trouble to throw a big celebration or vow renewal party?  Yeah, I would.  But not usually in a side-eye way.

With that said, I did have a former coworker planning a vow renewal for their 8th anniversary.  The whole 9 yards.  And that was also about how long the train on her "wedding" gown was, lol.  Their actual wedding was the whole 9 yards.  200+ guests.  No expense spared.  And she loved that day so much she wanted to recreate it.   I did side-eye THAT event.  For context, even outside of her vow renewal, she was one of the most attention-grabbing people I have ever met.

I think my issue with the "vow renewal" that's more like "the wedding I feel I deserve/want" is that, even if guests know what's going on, the more wedding-ish it is, the more many people feel obligated to go, buy a gift, etc. 

I am PPD-lite from the perspective of: you got married because insurance/military/overseas job/residency/whatever and you didn't get to celebrate with family and friends? Bummer. Then host a kick ass party. But the ceremony piece? No. Not on board. The ceremony, the dress, the first dances, the cake cutting, the attendants, etc...that's what makes a PPD a PPD. It's not just the lying. It's making the event into a pretty princess day, where married people dress up like a bride/groom and have all the trappings of a wedding. (even if people know you're a wife). That's kind of the definition IMO.