Wedding Reception Forum

Hanging decorations without a ladder

We are having our wedding and reception at a winery. The reception will be under a pavilion with high rafters for the celling. I would love to hang paper lanterns from the rafters but we can't use ladders. I know people have hung lanterns before because I have seen photos.  Anyone have any ideas on how to do this or have done it before? here is a photo of the beams and how high they are from the floor.

Re: Hanging decorations without a ladder

• Would they know if you used ladders? What if you just brought a counter height stool? I mean, I get trying to reduce their liability, but geez...

I can't really think of a way to do this without needing a ladder to clean it up. You might just have to can this idea unfortunately.
    *********************************************************************************

• they would most likely know if we used a ladder unless the workers weren't around when we put decorations up. It is quite frustrating.
  • Have you asked them how other people got paper lanterns up there? 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Is a step stool considered a ladder?

• Get a long piece of string. Tie a stick or something heavy to the end. Throw it over the rafter. Tie the lantern to the other end and pull the lantern up. Get a broom. Stick a piece of tape on the end and use it to stick the string in place before cutting it off as short as possible. 

Alternatively, get the tallest person you know to stand on a chair. Those rafters don't look that high. 

• Knot1 said:

We are having our wedding and reception at a winery. The reception will be under a pavilion with high rafters for the celling. I would love to hang paper lanterns from the rafters but we can't use ladders. I know people have hung lanterns before because I have seen photos.  Anyone have any ideas on how to do this or have done it before? here is a photo of the beams and how high they are from the floor.

How are you lighting said lanterns after they're up?  If they're difficult to get installed, I assume they'd be just as difficult to light... if they're battery powered, aren't the power switches on top?  I'm so confused.  This seems like more problem than it's worth.
  • Does the venue not have ladders, or do they just not allow them? Would they allow them if you paid someone to decorate? (Like that could somehow shift the liability?)

I agree with PPs, this seems like more trouble than it's worth. If you need the lighting, paper lanterns won't provide much. If you just want the ambiance, there are other ways to get that. Maybe fairy lights around the vertical portion or lights on shepherd's hooks in the grass around the cement? 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    edited April 2017

Does the venue not have ladders, or do they just not allow them? Would they allow them if you paid someone to decorate? (Like that could somehow shift the liability?)

I agree with PPs, this seems like more trouble than it's worth. If you need the lighting, paper lanterns won't provide much. If you just want the ambiance, there are other ways to get that. Maybe fairy lights around the vertical portion or lights on shepherd's hooks in the grass around the cement? 

Agree with ^^this completely.  There are free standing shepherd's hooks that you could use as well.  You could also light the lower horizontal railing, or hang lanterns from the V shaped supported beams.  They are lower and seem to be a reasonable reach. 

I have also seen lots of variations of artificial lighted topiary balls that could be simply placed atop large pots.......

https://jet.com/product/detail/6230dece8c6640b096887326c9905579?jcmp=pla:bng:nj_patio_garden:patio_garden_outdoor_lighting_other:na:PLA_276636165_1218258952999178_kwd-4579740808095415:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15

• Sorry for not responding before now. I've been really busy lately. Yes the venue doesn't allow step stools and standing on chairs either. The lanterns have little lights that can be turned on before they go up. I hadn't thought about talking to the venue about paying someone to put them up. Waiting to here back on what other people have done. There are already lights on the celling the lanterns are more for aesthetic.  I like the idea of fairy lights and will look into that.
  • SP29SP29 member
    Get a shepherd's hook,  or make one with a wooden broomstick and little hook on the end (like a small hook you might screw into the wall to hang said broom off of).

• I'd clarify that the venue is OK with you hanging lanterns...if you're not allowed to use a ladder or stand on a chair, I'd think that you're also not allowed to hang tall things. I'm interested to see what the venue says other people have done!
  • they are fine with us hanging stuff. They couldn't really give me any new suggestions. I think we are going to try the hanging them with a hook and the broomstick.