Wedding Party

Very Small To No Wedding Party

My fiancé and I do not have very many people in our lives that we would consider close enough to ask to be in our wedding party.  We might have 1 or 2 people each, but it's leaning more to 1 person each.  Would this be awkward to not have a typical sized wedding party?  Has anyone dealt with this issue before?  If so, what is your advice on it?

Re: Very Small To No Wedding Party

• I've been to weddings with no wedding party and it was no big deal at all. You can have 1, he can have 2 or vice versa. You can have no party. It's not at all awkward! 
  • We just had a maid of honor and best man at our wedding. It was nice and not awkward at all.
  • Thanks! This helps a lot!

• My fiancé and I do not have very many people in our lives that we would consider close enough to ask to be in our wedding party.  We might have 1 or 2 people each, but it's leaning more to 1 person each.  Would this be awkward to not have a typical sized wedding party?  Has anyone dealt with this issue before?  If so, what is your advice on it?

I didn't have any wedding party. It wasn't awkward at all. I personally prefer weddings that have a small wedding party or no wedding party at all. This is something that you have complete control over. Remember - sides don't have to be equal. If you want two and he wants one, that would also be okay.
  • My son and his wife each had one attendant.  It was lovely.
  • The main reason to have two is because you often need that number of people to sign the marriage license.  Otherwise, you don't even need any, just someone to sign the paperwork as witnesses.  

I know A LOT of brides who've said "I wish I'd have had a smaller WP!" here over the years!!!
  • Have as few or as many people as you want.  If you want your FI to walk you down the aisle and you guys just want to stand up there together, that's great. If you want 9 people standing up there with you, great.  

• I'm currently MOH in a wedding where I will be the only "maid" (the groom is also having a best man). I am still throwing a bachelorette party and inviting the 8 or 9 women the bride feels closest to. The bride's aunt is throwing her a shower and I'm helping out a bit and again, those 8 or 9 closest ladies are invited. Choosing only to have 1 person in the BP on each side doesn't even necesarily mean giving up any of the parties.

Honestly, I prefer it, we're going to talk together about dress preferences and pick something wonderful in her color palette, no worries about matching anyone else, and just generally makes life easier. Not awkward at all!
  • One of my best friends got married last year and she had her college BFF as the MOH and he had his twin brother as his BM and it was perfect and totally them. Try not to worry about what other people think so much, have your one attendant and enjoy honoring them by asking them to stand up with you. It'll be great.
  • We just had a MOH and best man.  I never thought of it as odd or unusual; I had my best friend, and H had his brother, who is his best friend.  We still got together with larger friend groups/family to celebrate before the wedding--H went to the bars with his family the night before, and I invited my friends over to play Cards Against Humanity.  
    Having a small BP can be cheaper, since you'll spend less on flowers (if you even want your girl(s) carrying them--we didn't) and gifts (I splurged on my friend, though, so didn't really save anything there!).  It can also be less stressful for you if you're concerned about everyone showing up early for the ceremony, coordinating WP attire, or spending too much time taking photos day-of.  
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We had 2 each in our WP, but it would not be weird to have one or none at all. My friend and her H did not have a WP, and their ceremony was one of my favourites! They had their mothers present the rings and sign the marriage license.
  • Wedding parties are completely optional.  Until about a dozen years ago, two or three bridesmaids was the standard size.  I had two attendants at my own wedding in 1976.  My daughter had three at hers.  The number of bridesmaids does not need to be the same as the number of groomsmen.
    Do what feels best for you.  There are no rules about this.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Just to echo the other PPs.  I don't think it is unusual at all to only have 1-2 attendants or none at all.  My sister and her H only had a MOH and BM.  Myself and my H only had a MOH and BM also.  I've been to a few weddings where the WP was similar to that and one wedding where there was no WP.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having a similar problem myself! I have my sister as my Maid of Honor and my fiance's 3 sisters as my other bridesmaids, but he only has picked my brother as a groomsmen. We don't have many men in our family...and he doesn't know who to ask among our friends. I feel ya, but I think everybody made some good points: do what makes YOU happy, you don't need to conform to "tradition".
    "I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.... It means no." -Alistair, Dragon Age Origins

• missfrodo said:

I'm having a similar problem myself! I have my sister as my Maid of Honor and my fiance's 3 sisters as my other bridesmaids, but he only has picked my brother as a groomsmen. We don't have many men in our family...and he doesn't know who to ask among our friends. I feel ya, but I think everybody made some good points: do what makes YOU happy, you don't need to conform to "tradition".

Wedding parties don't have to be even.  If he only wants to ask 1 person and you want to ask 4, then stick with that.  They don't have to be divided by gender either, so if he wants to ask a woman or you want to ask a man, do it!

I think you should have your sister and your brother stand on your side.  He should have his three sisters stand on his side.  It's /slightly/ more even (if that's something you're worried about), and you can both have the people you grew up with standing next to you.
  • I had 2; my husband had 1. No big deal. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14

• I'm having a similar problem myself! I have my sister as my lied-to prop Maid of Honor and my finance's HUSBAND'S 3 sisters as my other lied-to props bridesmaids, but he only has picked my brother as a lied-to prop groomsmen. We don't have many men in our family...and he doesn't know who to ask among our friends. I feel ya, but I think everybody made some good points: do what makes YOU happy, you don't need to conform to "tradition".

Fixed that for you.

Good thing this problem solved itself for you as you are already married. You showed that one can get married without any attendants and be just as married. 

As for repairing the relationship when your sister and rest of the family finds out you lied to them and made them spend money on you for a fake wedding on the other hand...

• I'm having a similar problem myself! I have my sister as my lied-to prop Maid of Honor and my finance's HUSBAND'S 3 sisters as my other lied-to props bridesmaids, but he only has picked my brother as a lied-to prop groomsmen. We don't have many men in our family...and he doesn't know who to ask among our friends. I feel ya, but I think everybody made some good points: do what makes YOU happy, you don't need to conform to "tradition".

Fixed that for you.

Good thing this problem solved itself for you as you are already married. You showed that one can get married without any attendants and be just as married. 

As for repairing the relationship when your sister and rest of the family finds out you lied to them and made them spend money on you for a fake wedding on the other hand...

My sister and brother know, my sisters-in-law know, they are all very excited to be in my celebration of marriage or wedding or whatever labels you like to use. I have been up front with them and they are happy irregardless. I'm sorry that you feel compelled to sabotage every post I make on this site just because you're too bored with your own life.
    "I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.... It means no." -Alistair, Dragon Age Origins

• Also, to @RyansGirl0126, I'm sorry to have caused drama on your post. I know your wedding will be a day to remember irregardless the size of the party :smile:

• Fixed that for you.

My sister and brother know, my sisters-in-law know, they are all very excited to be in my celebration of marriage or wedding or whatever labels you like to use. I have been up front with them and they are happy irregardless. I'm sorry that you feel compelled to sabotage every post I make on this site just because you're too bored with your own life.

@LondonLisa is a great contributor to these boards. You are doing something that is against etiquette and were called out about it. No one on here is bored with their life. We all want to help people with their wedding (on in your case vow renewal).