Snarky Brides

New props for your Non Traditional wedding

http://www.brides.com/story/llama-alpaca-wedding-ideas

I half love this because who doesn't love llamas but this is like wearing cowboy boots if you've never been out of the city or renting bridesmaids. 

Re: New props for your Non Traditional wedding

• I saw a wedding that involved kittens. That is my kind of wedding ;)
  • This is...Weird.  I think it's awesome that someone has made "therapy llamas" and "therapy alpacas," but I have to wonder what their skills are.  Like, obviously they seem to be chill around people and would be ok being petted, but are they house-trained???  What if they poop in the reception hall or pee, and get it on the bride's dress?  Will they try to eat people's flowers?  This is why most people just use centerpieces for decor...

• missfrodo said:

This is...Weird.  I think it's awesome that someone has made "therapy llamas" and "therapy alpacas," but I have to wonder what their skills are.  Like, obviously they seem to be chill around people and would be ok being petted, but are they house-trained???  What if they poop in the reception hall or pee, and get it on the bride's dress?  Will they try to eat people's flowers?  This is why most people just use centerpieces for decor...

Good question, therapy animals are typically trained to go inside also.

Side note: there are so many therapy animals :)

• missfrodo said:

This is...Weird.  I think it's awesome that someone has made "therapy llamas" and "therapy alpacas," but I have to wonder what their skills are.  Like, obviously they seem to be chill around people and would be ok being petted, but are they house-trained???  What if they poop in the reception hall or pee, and get it on the bride's dress?  Will they try to eat people's flowers?  This is why most people just use centerpieces for decor...

Ah, good point.  I wouldn't mind having a service alpaca for anxiety, their fur is so soft!  It would be a great tool for grounding, though I'd need a much bigger car--it wouldn't exactly fit in my little Corolla.  

• missfrodo said:

missfrodo said:

Ah, good point.  I wouldn't mind having a service alpaca for anxiety, their fur is so soft!  It would be a great tool for grounding, though I'd need a much bigger car--it wouldn't exactly fit in my little Corolla.  

Bigger car = therapy alpaca ;)
  • Fun fact: alpacas naturally tend to do their business in one specific area so they are quite easy to "litter box" train. I tried to use this fun fact to convince my H that I needed an alpaca pet but it didn't work!! :smiley:

• Lulawife said:

Fun fact: alpacas naturally tend to do their business in one specific area so they are quite easy to "litter box" train. I tried to use this fun fact to convince my H that I needed an alpaca pet but it didn't work!! :smiley:

how would this not work!?

• Lulawife said:

Fun fact: alpacas naturally tend to do their business in one specific area so they are quite easy to "litter box" train. I tried to use this fun fact to convince my H that I needed an alpaca pet but it didn't work!! :smiley:

how would this not work!?

Well, my first thought is that a litter box for an alpaca would be quite a bit larger than a litter box for a cat, which would be more money for litter, the box, and then, well, we'd need a shovel to scoop it out.

My next thought is that I wouldn't be the one changing the litter.

And my final thought is that any alpaca we owned would have to be an outside alpaca, so.... why would we need to litter box train one?

But that's just how I would respond to DH.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• missfrodo said:

missfrodo said:

Another fun fact: An alpaca will totally fit in a Corolla.

• ellamber said:

missfrodo said:

missfrodo said:

I would really love to hear the story behind how you found this out. 

• ellamber said:

missfrodo said:

missfrodo said:

And please say there are pictures. 
  • There is some guy I occasionally see clips of on Animal Planet who has a pet buffalo.  It rides in the back of his convertible.  With the top down, of course ;).

However, the buffalo is not house broken, but likes to roam into the house anyway.  Where his wife will shoo it out as best she can but, you know, it's a buffalo.  So there isn't a lot she can do if it feels like hanging out, lol.

My grandma grew up on a farm.  They had a pet pony that thought it was a dog.  It would hang out with the dogs.  When the dogs would bark if someone was approaching the house, the pony would neigh with them.  The lived in Hawaii, so the doors were kept open most of the year.  And when the dogs wandered into the house, the pony would also.  My grandma said her mom was constantly shooing that pony out of the kitchen, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • To be fair, these specific llamas referenced in the article are pretty well known in Portland, Rojo the Llama specifically is really popular! He's usually busy visiting children's hospitals, though. Not sure how well you could integrate one into a wedding.

• To be fair, these specific llamas referenced in the article are pretty well known in Portland, Rojo the Llama specifically is really popular! He's usually busy visiting children's hospitals, though. Not sure how well you could integrate one into a wedding.

I'm excited this llama is popular! I'm always curious on animals in hospitals, because many places have certain policies. But whatever makes the kids happy if the hospital is good with it :)

• ellamber said:

ellamber said:

missfrodo said:

missfrodo said:

And please say there are pictures. 

LOL! No pictures. I met a woman recently who has a hobby farm with alpacas, I don't remember how it came up but she has to drive a distance to get to her vet, one of them needed to be seen so she just put him in the car. She didn't have a corolla but had a similar type of car. They're all legs, once they fold those up they're relatively small. And portable. When she's bringing more than one she uses her Honda pilot, one goes in the back seat, the other in the cargo area. 

The bolded made me giggle more than anything really should, and I don't even know why. The alpaca sounds like an inanimate object you're reviewing on Amazon or something, hahaha.