Wedding Etiquette Forum

EDIT: What does the label "wedding" mean to you?

Re: EDIT: What does the label "wedding" mean to you?

• Why are we even bothering to try to educate people? Brides who want PPDs are going to do what they want and justify it to themselves.

If someone asks an etiquette question on the Etiquette Board, the presumption is that they want proper etiquette advice. That's why I answer anyway. If someone's going to do whatever they want anyway, well fine. But at least they did it knowing what the etiquette is on it. 
    *********************************************************************************

• @linzlovzsouza - you should change your screen name. Internet privacy is real. 
    *********************************************************************************

• lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

How much do you want to bet there are at least 2 wedding registries out there for this fake ceremony that is supposedly all about God and family?

SITB

4. There are 4 ENORMOUS registries. I don't know how she has room in her house for the items in just one of them.

• lnixon8 said:

How much do you want to bet there are at least 2 wedding registries out there for this fake ceremony that is supposedly all about God and family?

SITB

4. There are 4 ENORMOUS registries. I don't know how she has room in her house for the items in just one of them.

Seriously??? 4?

• Seriously??? 4?

Oh wow. This thread just keeps getting more and more interesting.

• lnixon8 said:

SITB

Seriously??? 4?

I didn't believe it at first, but don't worry, since she's posted literally everything about her wedding and [probably] husband it took me not even 2 seconds to find just how outrageously greedy these people are.

Holy shit, I cannot believe just how huge these registries are, this is unbelievable.

• levioosa said:

I think my favorite thing she registered for is the Poo-pouri. Because nothing else says wedding registry like trying to cover up the smell of shit. Or maybe it's appropriate. It's pretty shitty to lie to your friends and family and expect gifts and travel to attend your PPD. 

Hey now...Poo-pourri is the shit!! Pun intended. My husband registered for a bunch of it and we got it. It really is amazing. 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Personally, until health insurance is fixed in the united states, I will never fault anyone for having to make a difficult to decision to receive what, IMO, is a basic human right. 

I disagree with this.  The poster who brought up insurance said the early wedding was so save money on taxes - not to give her partner health insurance.  They simply don't want to pay the penalty.

Also, I wish my internet sleuthing was as good as some of yours....

• lnixon8 said:

SITB

Seriously??? 4?

The best part is that there are duplicates and triplicates of items between the registries! Who needs 3 fire pits and 2 upright vacuums?

• Ro041 said:

Personally, until health insurance is fixed in the united states, I will never fault anyone for having to make a difficult to decision to receive what, IMO, is a basic human right. 

I disagree with this.  The poster who brought up insurance said the early wedding was so save money on taxes - not to give her partner health insurance.  They simply don't want to pay the penalty.

Also, I wish my internet sleuthing was as good as some of yours....

So proud of myself! - just succeeding in internet sleuthing. My goodness 4 registries!

• ernursej said:

lnixon8 said:

SITB

Seriously??? 4?

The best part is that there are duplicates and triplicates of items between the registries! Who needs 3 fire pits and 2 upright vacuums?

And how many sets of dishes, glasses, food storage containers, comforters and pillows does one couple need! I couldn't even store all that stuff in my good sized house that has two double linen closets.

• geebee908 said:

@linzlovzsouza - It's May 2017. You're talking about a penalty that doesn't affect you if you get married between now and April of 2018. 

Why can't you plan a wedding between now and then. Like a real one? Where you get married and have your reception on the same day? 

redoryx said:

I feel like she is purposely dodging what everyone is asking because she doesn't actually have an answer to the question why can't she just have her "religious wedding" the same day as her "legal wedding."

I'm betting that the real answer to the question is that she's already married and that's why she can't plan a wedding before the insurance/tax deadline. Her PPD date is June of 2018; what's so hard about moving the date up by 2 or 3 months?

if I was married why would I have to go to court to get married? 

I live in New England. I am not getting married in the winter. no way.

• edited May 2017
  • edited May 2017
  • edited May 2017

this is a thread was on an opinion. So I don't understand why everyone is trolling me about it.

I have my venue deposits and bridesmaids are aware. we let the guests that are applying for visas ( some visas will take over 6 months to be approved!) and flying from different countries to see us get married. it will in in June when New England weather is beautiful with everyone.  June 2018: that's set in stone.

We were THINKING of getting legally married to help with insurance/avoid the penalty of him not having insurance. It was never a serious conversation.  I never said we were going to and we probably wont even be thinking about It next year with the house and the upcoming wedding.

My friend is getting married in January for insurance. no one is mad at her and no one cares. She will be having a wedding with them in the future and they all understand.

I wouldn't personally see anything wrong with either way, which was the point of this thread was for an opinion.

• geebee908 said:

@linzlovzsouza - It's May 2017. You're talking about a penalty that doesn't affect you if you get married between now and April of 2018. 

Why can't you plan a wedding between now and then. Like a real one? Where you get married and have your reception on the same day? 

redoryx said:

I feel like she is purposely dodging what everyone is asking because she doesn't actually have an answer to the question why can't she just have her "religious wedding" the same day as her "legal wedding."

I'm betting that the real answer to the question is that she's already married and that's why she can't plan a wedding before the insurance/tax deadline. Her PPD date is June of 2018; what's so hard about moving the date up by 2 or 3 months?

if I was married why would I have to go to court to get married? 

I live in New England. I am not getting married in the winter. no way.

this is a thread was on an opinion. So I don't understand why everyone is trolling me about it.

I have my venue deposits and bridesmaids are aware. we let the guests that are applying for visas ( some visas will take over 6 months to be approved!) and flying from different countries to see us get married. it will in in June when New England weather is beautiful with everyone.  June 2018: that's set in stone.

We were THINKING of getting legally married to help with insurance/avoid the penalty of him not having insurance. It was never a serious conversation.  I never said we were going to and we probably wont even be thinking about It next year with the house and the upcoming wedding.

My friend is getting married in January for insurance. no one is mad at her and no one cares. She will be having a wedding with them in the future and they all understand.

I wouldn't personally see anything wrong with either way, which was the point of this thread was for an opinion.

JIC

• Hey everyone,

Just a friendly reminder we're getting into TOS violation territory by discussing OP's registry. Let's try to keep to things posted on the community and not elsewhere on the internet, please.

Thank you!
  • this is a thread was on an opinion. So I don't understand why everyone is trolling me about it. 

But this is the etiquette board, you're going to get answers regarding the etiquette of a situation.

No one is going to tell her to her face that they think she's tacky. And no...she's having a bullshit reenactment because her wedding was when she got married! How do you not understand that?

Bolded mine.

• banana468 said: You can't just tell your priest, "Oh, we got married already but we don't count it."   They do.  And they don't look favorably upon what you're proposing to do at all.  

We aren't catholic. 

• banana468 said:

Oh, well it being New England TOTALLY changes everything!   Why didn't you say that first!   No one gets married in the winter in New England.   We stay inside and eat beef stew and let our leg hair get long enough to braid.   

Seriously?  Your posts make you sound exactly how millennials hate to be described. 

One of the best wedding that I attended was the one I mentioned above that was put together in 6 weeks.   It was about 18 degrees on their wedding day.   We had a lovely time.

The problem with the way you phrase things is that you're trying to turn something that is factual into a matter of opinion.   It doesn't work that way.   Once you sign the papers, you're married.   THAT'S your wedding day.

Furthermore, if you're planning a large wedding with relatives that have to travel from out of the country I will hypothesize that your faith matters to some degree in ceremonial form.   No church is cool with you doing what you propose.  You can't just tell your priest, "Oh, we got married already but we don't count it."   They do.  And they don't look favorably upon what you're proposing to do at all.  

I do not want to get married in NE winter. That's me. I also would not want to risk a storm in January and have everyone not be able to attend. (due to weather) I know there could be storms in the summer too, I'm not saying that, but I would hate for my FH mom or my god mother not to be able to make it due to snow/ blizzard. 
    I'm not catholic so I do not have a priest. 

• @linzlovzsouza - you should change your screen name. Internet privacy is real. 

why should i change my screen name? 
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

@linzlovzsouza - you should change your screen name. Internet privacy is real. 

She was doing you a favour by giving you the heads up that it's very easy to find your real information on the internet based on your screen name. Especially given the fact you have given away your full name and wedding date/location on these boards. It's good practice to keep internet privacy as strict as possible by not using full real names. 
  • edited May 2017

@linzlovzsouza - you should change your screen name. Internet privacy is real. 

She was doing you a favour by giving you the heads up that it's very easy to find your real information on the internet based on your screen name. Especially given the fact you have given away your full name and wedding date/location on these boards. It's good practice to keep internet privacy as strict as possible by not using full real names. 

oh, I didn't realize  I gave my last name or wedding location on the boards. I'll have to go back and check 
    thanks for the heads up.