Snarky Brides

Re: Seems AWish to me . . . What do you think?

• This is absurd. It's AW, it's distracting from children's education, and it's completely unnecessary. If I was a parent I'd be pissed my kid was participating. 
  • I think I'm going to vomit.

• ernursej said:

I had a teacher that did a whole week of for a fancy party theme where all the different subjects were around planning and attending a 'fancy party'. We did math to deal with how many portions/servings, wrote invitations/speeches/thank you notes for English, looked up customs and traditions for the Social Studies aspect and did dancing for gym. It certainly wasn't a wedding (I would side eye the hell out of the that), but I did like the party theme. I think it also had a component on manners and general party etiquette.

This is a cute idea, because a fancy party could be anything, not just a wedding.

My sixth grade class did throw a baby shower for our teacher, but that was our idea. She was surprised that we pulled it off without her knowledge.
  • She's getting married at the tail-end of the school year, if not after summer starts.  I know all I cared about as a 6yo in May was when summer break started, not whether or not I was invited to a grown-up party (which I never, ever cared about, either).

Also, if her wedding falls after school is out, why does she even think a 6yo would care if s/he was invited to a wedding?  I can't remember my first grade teacher, or whether she was a Ms. or a Mrs.  They'll have a different teacher in September and probably won't even remember this one exists.

But I'm sure the parents will remember her, for all the wrong reasons.  I would.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• As a parent, I would not appreciate so much time being taken away from my child's education for this. If it were just a few hours of one day, I'd see where it would be a nice, fun break for the kids, but this is too much. She's taking weeks of their education to focus on herself. I remember any time our teacher wanted to change her lesson plan, she had to get special permission. I can't see anyone approving this. 

It's also extra gross to me that she's selling this BS to other teachers. 

@atomicblonde My first grade teacher was Ms. Bonavida. I don't remember if it was Miss or Mrs., just that she was so mean!
  • DD's third grade teacher got married in Hawaii over Christmas break that year. The Room Moms organized a surprise shower which was held at the end of the day maybe even in conjunction with the Christmas party (back then they were allowed). I thought that was appropriate. I think the teacher brought in her album when she had it but I'm not sure. 

• I read this to DH last night, and as I was reading it in depth for the first time, I got to the part about her instagram-ing the day, and I was just floored. I understand that in the digital age, there's almost no privacy, but I think it's extremely unprofessional for a first grade teacher to instagram during the school day, let alone post photos of her students.

Maybe *I'm* way off base with that, but if I were a parent I'd be PISSED. Photos of my kid should not show up online without my consent.

I don't think you are off base at all. Most school systems that I am familiar with require parents to sign permission slips allowing their children (under 18) to be photographed, filmed, etc. for promotion/broadcast.

• I read this to DH last night, and as I was reading it in depth for the first time, I got to the part about her instagram-ing the day, and I was just floored. I understand that in the digital age, there's almost no privacy, but I think it's extremely unprofessional for a first grade teacher to instagram during the school day, let alone post photos of her students.

Maybe *I'm* way off base with that, but if I were a parent I'd be PISSED. Photos of my kid should not show up online without my consent.

I don't think you are off base at all. Most school systems that I am familiar with require parents to sign permission slips allowing their children (under 18) to be photographed, filmed, etc. for promotion/broadcast.

I would assume that permission would be solely for school use, not for personal use like this teacher would be using the photos for, i.e to promote herself and her "store" on her personal IG account.  What if there's a student in her class who had a parent who did not give consent?

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

I would assume that permission would be solely for school use, not for personal use like this teacher would be using the photos for, i.e to promote herself and her "store" on her personal IG account.  What if there's a student in her class who had a parent who did not give consent?

One of the design firms I used to work for did a lot of K12 work. We would get permission from the Principal and teachers to go into the finished space with a professional photographer to take finished photography that would then be used to promote our firm's work. The kids, who ranged in age from 4 (Pre-K) to 18 (HS seniors) would be photographed in the various spaces within the buildings to not only convey scale, but also an active learning setting. We would make sure - with the principal and superintendent of schools - that waivers had been signed that would cover instances like professional photography. All children would have their parents notified in advance of the photo shoot as well, to cover any additional bases. Any class who had a child whose parents had not signed the waiver would not be photographed (to not only avoid accidentally photographing the child, but also to avoid singling anyone out and creating an embarrassing situation for that child). So there are instances where permission would be granted for promotional use (albeit rare instances) BUT what this AW blogger is doing is not acceptable IMO. 
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    This is soooo cringy 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Reminds me of my cousin, who had her classroom throw her a baby shower... I think it was her 3rd or 4th shower.  Totes necessary.

• Reminds me of my cousin, who had her classroom throw her a baby shower... I think it was her 3rd or 4th shower.  Totes necessary.

Sheesh. That's obnoxious.