Wedding Woes

The story of destroying 6let's childhood

6let is 8.5.  He rides the school bus and goes to public school.  I figure it's about time he started to question Santa et al.

Yesterday M2 (6) lost her tooth.  I KNEW I'd forget so I asked DH to remind me several times.  Every time he laughed at me "we won't forget."

6:30 this morning a crying M2 comes into my room "The Tooth Fairy didn't come last night!!" I give hugs and tell her there must have been a lot of lost teeth last night and the Tooth Fairy was just running behind.

M2  is telling this to Max and 6let pipes up with "The Tooth Fairy wasn't busy.  Mom's the Tooth Fairy and she just forgot."  M2 didn't hear it so I sent 6let up to my room to talk.

I tell him he's right, but M2 and Max still believe and he better not ruin it for them.  His eyes got huge and he says "I was just kidding.  You mean the Tooth Fairy isn't real?!"  Then I could see him wondering about Santa and the Easter Bunny.  Ugh.

I gave him a good finger wag about not talking about it to ANYONE.

And a dad at the bus stop said kids get more money when the Tooth Fairy runs behind.  I had to pony up $2.

Re: The story of destroying 6let's childhood

• This is an amazing story and you need to print it out and keep it forever.  ;) 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm going to get notes from parents that I spoiled it for their pwecious aren't I?  He's EIGHT!  I really thought he knew but was afraid to say it!!
  • Omg golden :') Definitely try to keep this for later. My mum still mentions the story when I deemed to ask {I was about 9 probably} and she was thinking I'd start to not believe {like you thought as well}

Apparently when she said they weren't real I was devastated and opted to backtrack her words, saying she has to prove to them I still believe.

Tbh it was MAYBE 2 yrs afterwards I didn't believe officially.
  • And that, 6let is why you don't bluff with mom and dad. haha.

I don't remember any sort of traumatizing moment.  I just realized that Santa's handwriting looked a lot like Dad's. 

• Doh!  Poor 6let.  It reminds me of a sitcom plot where there is a misunderstanding about a situation.  Like one character tells another character a secret.  Then a third character innocently says something that coincidentally closely relates to the secret and middle character exclaims to first character, "You told!"  They didn't, but now the jig is up. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    My belief in the tooth fairy ended when my mom forgot too.  I watched my brother go in my room and slip a $1 under the pillow.  Then I hear my mom say something about the tooth fairy only leaving a quarter.  I guess this was appropriate way for 6let to learn.

• My parents didn't say anything.  My brother and I actually approached them to tell them we didn't believe anymore.  I was around 10 when that happened, my brother was 8, and I still remember the earnest conversation he and I had about going to our parents.  We didn't want to take away their belief in our belief.

I don't remember when I officially stopped believing--there's a huge gap between the Christmas I got the roller blades, where I was maybe 7? and that conversation.

ETF words.

That's very thoughtful for 8 and 10
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2017
    Trust me when I say I've used skills learned from my magician friends at least a couple times when DD lost one and I forgot...  

I'm not saying a word - DH wants to interrogate DD to find out if she really believes or is smart in knowing that when Mom says "If you don't believe in (Santa/Bunny/etc.) you get socks!"...  I suspect she knows, but with DS still young yet, I'm not spilling the beans!!!  It's called LEVERAGE!
  • GBCKGBCK member

I'm a little late to this party, but I wanted to add my story.  When I was about 6 or so my asked my mom why santa used the same wrapping paper that they used.  (I.e. gifts from santa were wrapped the same as gifts from mom)...she quickly saved it by saying "oh santa had too much going on so he asked us to wrap these for him", but I was always suspicious after that.  I don't remember the exact year I stopped believing but I know it was on the younger side (I think 8 max).

Moral of the story: Have "Santa" Paper and "Family" paper lol

Our santa paper lives in the gun safe.
    Apparently we're all about overkill
    (I'm fairly sure the kiddo has doubts.  SHe hasn't asked.  I'll address it when and if she does.  I convinced my baby sis to believe until like 6th grade and that was kinda assy of us...but damn it was fun. 
    Did I mention Buffy is unsure about the fairies now too?  I rather liked believing in fairies)

• I'm a little late to this party, but I wanted to add my story.  When I was about 6 or so my asked my mom why santa used the same wrapping paper that they used.  (I.e. gifts from santa were wrapped the same as gifts from mom)...she quickly saved it by saying "oh santa had too much going on so he asked us to wrap these for him", but I was always suspicious after that.  I don't remember the exact year I stopped believing but I know it was on the younger side (I think 8 max).

In my house, no presents under the tree come from Santa, those are from mom and dad. Santa brings the goodies in the stockings, though.

SIAB 

When my sister and I were kids our Santa presents were never under the tree. We would always get them in our 'Santa Sack' and they would always be on the cheaper side of things i.e. Avon lip balms, Christmas candy, touch a bubble etc. Any big/expensive presents would always be wrapped and from our parents. 
    As a kid I remember comparing what we got for Xmas and always thought it was odd that 'Santa' would wrap my friends presents and give them Barbie doll houses etc. I think I confronted my mother about this at approximately 6 years old (after my friends and I came to the conclusion that Santa wasn't real) and she begged me not to tell my 4 y.o. sister. 

• GBCK said:

I'm a little late to this party, but I wanted to add my story.  When I was about 6 or so my asked my mom why santa used the same wrapping paper that they used.  (I.e. gifts from santa were wrapped the same as gifts from mom)...she quickly saved it by saying "oh santa had too much going on so he asked us to wrap these for him", but I was always suspicious after that.  I don't remember the exact year I stopped believing but I know it was on the younger side (I think 8 max).

Our santa paper lives in the gun safe.
    Apparently we're all about overkill
    (I'm fairly sure the kiddo has doubts.  SHe hasn't asked.  I'll address it when and if she does.  I convinced my baby sis to believe until like 6th grade and that was kinda assy of us...but damn it was fun. 
    Did I mention Buffy is unsure about the fairies now too?  I rather liked believing in fairies)

My youngest sister never said anything about no longer believing. At some point (like when she was in high school) we brought it up to her and she was just like, "As long as no one has any reason to think I don't "believe," maybe the Santa train keeps rolling? Also I have no idea what you're talking about."
  • By the time I was three, I knew about Santa, Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy.  I was a light sleeper and had very clumsy parents.  It actually made me feel better.  I thought the idea of a stranger coming into my house at night was creepy.  OK, so I was a weird kid.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg