Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Martha's Vineyard Weddings/Reviews?

Hi everyone - I'm planning my wedding at the Whaling Church and Dr. Fisher House in Edgartown.  I was hoping to get any advice or opinions on caterers and tent rental companies in MV? 
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: Martha's Vineyard Weddings/Reviews?

• edited December 2011
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding on the Vineyard!  When will it be? You have picked a beautiful spot for it, for sure! We are getting married in May 2012 at the Harbor View Hotel. Have you tried www.mvweddings.com? They have a great list of sources for everything from the cake to tent rentals. If I am not mistaken, there are reviews. If you like, I can take a look at my venue's preferred vendor list.
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I love mvweddings.com ... We're next September.  Love the Harbor View... sometimes I wish I went that route myself but I thought I'd get to do more personal picking this way.  But all that translates to is more work!  :)  

• edited December 2011
    Hi!
    I have two vendors for you to try. Big Sky Tent & Party Rental (508-693-2237) and Seaside Celebrattion (508-693-0556). Those two were on my list. For obvious reasons, I do not have caterers on the list. However, I noticed you had a post about Beetlebug Steel Drum Band, and they were on the list, if that helps. And the list was short!

Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Big Sky was absolutely fantastic to work with. We ordered chairs, linens, tables and tent from them. If Eddie is still there I would request him. He made everything so easy.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the info.  I have an appointment to go to the Big Sky showroom in a couple of weeks.  I wasn't sure what to even ask for to see the price differences between Tilton, Big Sky and Seaside.  But I saw more of what I liked on Big Sky's website so I thought I'd start there.
    I'm really hoping to find someone on here who has heard the Steel Drum band that the Fisher house allows.  They're hard to get a hold of and so far, no public venues to see them play.  But it's definitely the music I'd be more interested in.

Thanks guys!
  • edited December 2011
    We just got back from our wedding on the Vineyard, it was amazing!  For tents I recommend Seaside, they have all the same stuff as Big Sky but for less (I think they even have a Sperry sail tent now).  I noticed that everything at Big Sky was slightly more for the same chairs, etc. 

For caterers I can't say enough good things about Buckley's Gourmet Catering, Jessica & Steve Buckley did an amazing job for our wedding.  The food was so delicious and Jessica basically ran our wedding and made sure everything went smoothly.

Flowers we used Mia at Farm Neck, they were gorgerous & reasonable.

For DJ we used a couple of island guys, they did a great job and weren't cheesy like some DJ's can be.  PM me for their info.

Good luck and I hope your wedding is as beautiful as ours was!
  • edited December 2011
    Any advice on hair?  I'll be doing my own makeup but would love some suggestions on hair.

Thanks!
    LG
  • edited December 2011
    I used Gretchen at A Hair Affair & she was great.  We had the whole upstairs to hang out in before the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone know how gratuity is figured for Buckley's?  Some caterers include a full 20% on the entire cost, but it seems that Buckley's advises that gratuity for the servers isn't included but should be considered at the client's discretion.  I'm just trying to come up with what that additional cost would be and if it's 20% on the total or just on their service rate? 

Also, do you add a gratuity in for the tent rental companies?

Any guidance would be great from those who have gone the catering route already.  I just don't want to cut anyone or any service short!

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards