Wedding Etiquette Forum

I made the mistake of going to WW

I got engaged about a month ago (I'm seriously, like, the most indifferent underwhelming bride ever lol) and because I'm apparently a masochist decided to check out the WW forums (I know, I know) and holy shit you guys. WHY DID I DO THAT TO MYSELF? 

Re: I made the mistake of going to WW

• Congrats!

And welcome back ;-) It's scary over there!!
  • I've never been to WW, what's their story for those not in the know?

Bridesmaids have duties, gaps are okay, B-listing is fine because "it's your day!!!!!"

• Bridesmaids have duties, gaps are okay, B-listing is fine because "it's your day!!!!!"

Thanks! That is how I have been feeling about Reddit lately (the wedding subreddits). 
  • redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Bridesmaids have duties, gaps are okay, B-listing is fine because "it's your day!!!!!"

Thanks! That is how I have been feeling about Reddit lately (the wedding subreddits). 

Oh god, I refuse to go to the reddit pages for that reason. They just make me stabby.

I've occasionally clicked on links that were in a post on here to an especially egregious discussion on WW, but that's about it.  I've never been there either, other than those instances.  But have heard the horror stories.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats and welcome back! See what happens when you leave us? 

I will never understand the concept of treating the people you love like shit because you think you deserve one special day. 

• Congratulations!

• congrats.

WW is like comic relief to me.  I just can't believe people actually treat their family/friends so bad I read it like a bad comedy.

Sadly, they are for real.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

• I had to stop commenting and posting there because whenever I tried to be the voice of reason I'd end up with as much negative karma as possible and comments about how rude I was being. Which is incredibly ironic, now that I think about it.

Yea, its like if you either don't agree with everyone or aren't 100 % sunshine farts than they take issue with you. 
  • I am so glad I found y'all first, then the other sites. I learned a lot here that steered us the right way when it comes to our wedding day and all the associated things around it. Thank you for the good and necessary work you do!
  • So does WW have an etiquette forum where they spew this nonsense?  Like something they think is correct?  Or is all the nonsense intermingled with other topics?

• Ummm....not everyone on WW is like that since some people on the knot also post there.

• Ummm....not everyone on WW is like that since some people on the knot also post there.

Says the poster who violated TOS when we gave advice on how to greet 345 guests and still eat a meal. 

• redoryxredoryx member

adk19 said:

So does WW have an etiquette forum where they spew this nonsense?  Like something they think is correct?  Or is all the nonsense intermingled with other topics?

They have an etiquette forum
  • redoryxredoryx member
    Like right now there is a thread that just started with someone planning on getting legally married in Jamaica and asking about paperwork. Three of the four (thus far) comments are all "Just get married here before you leave!"

The bride, bless her, says she's not getting married in the US beforehand.

• redoryx said:

Like right now there is a thread that just started with someone planning on getting legally married in Jamaica and asking about paperwork. Three of the four (thus far) comments are all "Just get married here before you leave!"

The bride, bless her, says she's not getting married in the US beforehand.

So, they have an etiquette forum, but you can't get actual etiquette there?
  • justsiejustsie member
    Someone on here turned me onto snarky chickens and I can read that for hours. They think we are a little too strict (okay that's putting it lightly) but they also think that WW is ridiculous and offer fabulous snark. I would participate more, but I'm not as quick witted so I just lurk.
  • Congratulations @redoryx!

• edited May 2017

levioosa said:

Ummm....not everyone on WW is like that since some people on the knot also post there.

Says the poster who violated TOS when we gave advice on how to greet 345 guests and still eat a meal. 

I asked a question about how to combine eating with greeting guests. I must be the worst person in the world........ Also your point is not related to anything I said, but you clearly prefer being unnecesarily aggressive. Great etiquette by the way!  My initial point still stands but you clearly prefer generalising about an entire group of people. Some people on Ww also use TK or is this new information for you? 

You get a variety of responses on WW, or have you never actually read it? 
  • edited May 2017

I've never been to WW, what's their story for those not in the know?

I thought in the US bridesmaids have duties. Don't americans make them buy their dress and makeup and all that stuff? In the country I live that is considered rude AF and the bride does that since it's your wedding and the only reason they are wearing it is because you asked them. So for me making bridesmaids to pay is poor etiquette. I always found it a little strange that on TK that is acceptable.

But in the US isn't it normal to give bridesmaid that duty once you agree a budget? I'm sure I have read about that on TK.

• levioosa said:

Ummm....not everyone on WW is like that since some people on the knot also post there.

I asked a question about how to combine eating with greeting guests. I must be the worst person in the world........ Also your point is not related to anything I said, but you clearly prefer being unnecesarily aggressive. Great etiquette by the way!  My initial point still stands but you clearly prefer generalising about an entire group of people. Some people on Ww also use TK or is this new information for you? 

Ah yes, I was "unnecessarily aggressive."  But interestingly enough, I wasn't the one calling posters names when we told you how to host your guests properly.  

WW is overwhelmingly full of poor etiquette, of "it's your day!" attitudes, of treating friends and family like shit.  I've been there. There very few posters with a modicum of sense are down voted and mocked.  Wasn't impressed.  You must love it over there though. 

• edited May 2017

levioosa said:loo

levioosa said:

Ah yes, I was "unnecessarily aggressive."  But interestingly enough, I wasn't the one calling posters names when we told you how to host your guests properly.  

WW is overwhelmingly full of poor etiquette, of "it's your day!" attitudes, of treating friends and family like shit.  I've been there. There very few posters with a modicum of sense are down voted and mocked.  Wasn't impressed.  You must love it over there though. 

Completely different to how you are mocking and attacking me for no reason, right? And there are the ones who treat people badly, ok......that makes sense.

Even if you didn't like my previous behaviour, not sure why you think being (by your own admission) unnecesarily aggresive makes you any better than the girls from WW. I make one simply point and you fly off the handle, like a bad stereotype of a TK poster. Surely you are being just as bad as me and them!! I assume the irony is lost on you.......don't worry. For some people, thinking is hard.  I actually did thank people who were helpful, but selective memory seems to be your thing......

Bye girl bye xx  you do make me laugh!
  • Congratulations @redoryx !!

I lurked WW while I was planning but I seriously couldn't handle the "it's your day" bs. When I first started they were a little more sane but then a TOS crackdown and lack of response from Mods cause a lot of regular members to leave. After that it was like the people with proper etiquette were out numbered by the Its your day crowd. When I was there gaps and B-listing were still bad but not as bad as Self catering and a dry wedding lol. Deleting threads there is allowed so lurkers can't read old threads about hot button issues and the same 5 questions got asked everyday. 
  • edited May 2017
    How was @levioosa being "unnecessarily aggressive?" Blunt yes, but not aggressive.

@Kimora_Blax, you complained in my thread that people are too sensitive, but here you get mad at someone who called you out for being rude to multiple members of this forum?

Sounds like someone who can dish it out but can't take it.
  • edited May 2017

How was @levioosa being "unnecessarily aggressive?" Blunt yes, but not aggressive.

@Kimora_Blax, you complained in my thread that people are too sensitive, but here you get mad at someone who called you out for being rude to multiple members of this forum?

She came for me when I made quite an innocent point. I am allowed to disagree with someone. I was talking about the poster not people. You throw around words like invalid without understanding what they mean. I was actually trying to encourage the poster in the other post to be less reliant on validation from others.  You dont seem to get that. 

I feel like you are about 10 seconds from saying some overused line like 'you're living your truth' or 'being your authentic self.' Or some nonsense people say without understanding what any of that actually means.

Bye girl bye x
  • edited May 2017

She came for me when I made quite an innocent point. I am allowed to disagree with someone. 

Oh FFS. No one said you weren't.

I highly recommend that you read my response to you in the other thread, and then try to develop some empathy for other people.

• How was @levioosa being "unnecessarily aggressive?" Blunt yes, but not aggressive.

She came for me when I made quite an innocent point. I am allowed to disagree with someone. I was talking about the poster not people. You throw around words like invalid without understanding what they mean. I was actually trying to encourage the poster in the other post to be less reliant on validation from others.  You dont seem to get that. 

I feel like you are about 10 seconds from saying some overused line like 'you're living your truth' or 'being your authentic self.' Or some nonsense people say without understanding what any of that actually means.

Bye girl bye x

That's hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

And now, adieu. I have better things to do than continue to engage with someone who has so little respect for others.

P.S. I know exactly what "invalid" means. 

• How was @levioosa being "unnecessarily aggressive?" Blunt yes, but not aggressive.

Bye girl bye x

That's hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

And now, adieu. I have better things to do than continue to engage with someone who has so little respect for others.

P.S. I know exactly what "invalid" means. 

Responded in the other post. 

P.S. I don't think you do.....

Bye xx