Wedding Woes

Monday Funday?

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2017 in Wedding Woes
or not....?

Sorry, I have to start the Monday post.

The wedding I was in, was very very nice.  She made a few faux pas but she had more than enough food and wine/beer which I was afraid of since she told me she ordered for 20 less people than she was having (no way did she!).  One big faux pas was 15 chairs out for 100 people (guess only the elderly were able to sit?).  It was a 10 minute ceremony but that's besides the point.  Also - she had no directions for anyone to bring them back UP to the reception room so a bunch of guys finally volunteered. 

When she was in her early states of planning, she asked me, and two friends of mine (in email) who helps set up?  I said something along the lines of "don't ask but if anyone offers, take them up on it!".  My other friend said "the bridal party does.  that's how it's done in my family".  so we left it at that...when I was just a regular guest I then said "i'll help!" to be nice.  But then I turned into a bridesmaid along the way.

Well on Friday night, at the dinner I asked her when she wanted us there.  She said 10 (for a 2:00 ceremony) and mentioned that we'd be helping set up.  Fine. OK. Whatevs.

Later on, during the reception, the bride sat next to me (I was alone and couldn't stand on my feet any longer) and I said something like "so our friend wants to go to the bar and watch the basketball game (I was the one with the rental) but I'm soooo tired.  I hope she's OK with it back at the hotel?"
"yeah, but after you guys help clean up, right?" She asks
"oh yeah, we're not leaving now"....but man was I taken aback at that comment.  I think this is something I should volunteer for....not be asked to do?  And with the set up - I felt completely useless anyway because she had no direction and we had NO idea what she wanted done.  Same as the breakdown, no direction and we didn't really know what to do besides  put the tables/chairs away.  It's not like we could pack some strangers car.

But really, it was a beautiful day despite those things.

edit: words

Re: Monday Funday?

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2017
    Ugh, that's annoying.  I've been at a wedding where I ended up helping with clean-up because things turned into a cluster (some of it the couple's fault and some of it not) and it was the last thing I wanted to do after being at a wedding and reception all day/night.  Also, it was at a venue I had considered and I dodged a huge bullet by not picking them. 

I went to the doctor Friday and was diagnosed with a sinus and ear infection.  I'm not feeling as better as I wish I did, but this month has been extraordinarily stressful on many fronts.  I'm sure that's what is bogging me down.  Hopefully, I'll be on the up and up soon, especially since we leave in 6 days for our Texas trip.  

The weekend was OK.  We got some flowers for the garden we're doing in the front of the house.  Also, my roses have exploded.  I tried to rest a lot this weekend in order to feel better. 

DefConn wants to cut his hair off and I want to cry.  I'll let him because it is his hair, but I'm struggling with the request.  I asked him to wait until after Texas. 

My Monday was made by finding out that my town is getting a Qdoba.  :D 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2017
    Good morning. 

I leaving soon to knock off 2 more hikes from the book.  One is a 6+ miles.  The other shouldn't even be called a hike, but it's to Doc Holiday's grave. Not that I interested in Doc Holiday, it's more to cross off one of the 52 hikes.   That will get me to 13 down.

DH is off, but going into work to do a mural.  He is so talented.  Since it's beautiful we are going to take a ride on the "scooter". (have a tough time calling a 500cc bike a scooteR).

Later tonight we are going to the opening of a new brewery/restaurant.  It's really close to our house.  

So it really is Monday Funday for me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

@CharmedPam, I'm glad your friend's wedding went well overall, despite your voluntold servitude.  At least there was enough food and drink!

@mrsconn23, I had to Google Qdoba.  Is it a fast food like Chipolte or a restaurant?  Sad that I couldn't tell from their website, lol.  I was really excited when we FINALLY got a Chipolte in a nearby suburb.  It still isn't that close to me, but now I can go 2-3x/year.  A Dave and Busters is opening at the end of the month.  Fun!  Before that, the closest one was Houston, lol.

@charlotte989875, Happy anniversary!  Those pics from the wedding are so cute!  Yeeaahhh...a 35 minute money dance.  Of course that is going to kill the room vibe!

The weekend was nice.  I did a mystery shop on Friday at a "4-Star" restaurant in the French Quarter.  It was pretty much a disaster.  Too bad for them I was a mystery shopper, but they shouldn't suck so hard.  After getting our drink order, we sat at our table for 20 minutes before we were finally able to flag a manager down.  Apparently we were forgotten in the "mad rush" of a whopping 3 other tables in the room?  Mmmm...kay.

My entrée was more the size of a large appetizer and I was still hungry after I'd eaten it.  Pretty sad.  Both my dish and my H's were bland as hell.  WTF?!?  Good or bad, this is "Flavor Town".  I don't know what they're thinking serving boring a** food.

Saturday and Sunday were gloriously spent lounging around and playing with the pups and the cat.  I made strawberry margaritas on Sunday.  I had a little bit of frozen cherries left in a bag and threw those in also.  It was a good call!  The taste was mainly strawberries, but then there was just a touch of cherry.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy...Yeah, it's similar to Chipotle.   I like Chipotle a little better, but I'm happy to be getting Qdoba closer, since we have neither currently. 
  • @charlotte989875, Happy anniversary! 
    @Lyndausvi, have fun at the hike(s)!
    @short+sassy, I'm not a fan of chipotle anyway, so many places are better than them but yeah, qdoba is a better chipotle. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Saturday sports, Sunday sports and funeral.  6let's coach almost got kicked out of the soccer game.  The ref was AWFUL.  She almost kicked the other fans out too because they thought she made a bad call.  It wasn't and she was pissed "You can't knock the goalie over when he's holding the ball!  Keep it up and you'll go to the cars!"

@short+sassy, I'm not a fan of chipotle anyway, so many places are better than them but yeah, qdoba is a better chipotle. 

Sigh, not where I live.  A local place called Illegal Burrito went up before we got a Chipolte.  It's the same concept.  It's delicious, but kind of pricy.  However, this has all only been over the last few years.  Before that, the only fast food Mexican was Taco Bell.  And, hey, I like TB when I want something cheap and cheesy.  But it is hardly the same thing as a Build-Your-Own burrito bar type place.

Oh!  We also got some Moe's Southwest Grills in the last 2 years.  Same type of Chipolte-type place for those not familiar.  But for all three of those chains, they're all primarily in the suburbs.  None of them are within 20-30 minutes of me.  But at least they are around now and I keep hoping for closer, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2017

@charlotte989875, Happy anniversary! 

Sigh, not where I live.  A local place called Illegal Burrito went up before we got a Chipolte.  It's the same concept.  It's delicious, but kind of pricy.  However, this has all only been over the last few years.  Before that, the only fast food Mexican was Taco Bell.  And, hey, I like TB when I want something cheap and cheesy.  But it is hardly the same thing as a Build-Your-Own burrito bar type place.

Oh!  We also got some Moe's Southwest Grills in the last 2 years.  Same type of Chipolte-type place for those not familiar.  But for all three of those chains, they're all primarily in the suburbs.  None of them are within 20-30 minutes of me.  But at least they are around now and I keep hoping for closer, lol.

One thing I liked about NOLA was the lack of chain restaurants.   It was mostly mom and pop places.   Out in the suburbs you saw them, but not really too many downtown.   I honestly hate most chain restaurants.

ETA the closest Taco Bell is 27 miles away.  There is a Qdoba about 33 miles away.  I  never got to either.  Too many better mom/pop places that are way better closer to us.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    My In Laws just left a bit ago. They were in town for the weekend to see the baby. They are definitely fans of older babies as they were much more into him than when they visited right after he was born. They brought him some toys and bought him a few while we were running errands so that was nice.

I'm working from home since I wanted them to see the baby before they left. Daycare is a mad house once the day has gotten going and I"m very glad I don't normally see the chaos as it makes me cringe a bit.

TB is my guilty pleasure.  I Love it too. LOL.  but yeah, not a fresh build your own.  Moe's is great too!

• kvruns said:

My In Laws just left a bit ago. They were in town for the weekend to see the baby. They are definitely fans of older babies as they were much more into him than when they visited right after he was born. They brought him some toys and bought him a few while we were running errands so that was nice.

I'm working from home since I wanted them to see the baby before they left. Daycare is a mad house once the day has gotten going and I"m very glad I don't normally see the chaos as it makes me cringe a bit.

Me too.  I'm not really a fan of newborns at all.   Plus new moms tend to be [understandable] protective and some barely let anyone hold them at all.  Once they get older the baby is more interactive.  Plus I think the moms tend to be happier to let them be held.

At least in my experience.

• lyndausvi said:

@charlotte989875, Happy anniversary! 

One thing I liked about NOLA was the lack of chain restaurants.   It was mostly mom and pop places.   Out in the suburbs you saw them, but not really too many downtown.   I honestly hate most chain restaurants.

ETA the closest Taco Bell is 27 miles away.  There is a Qdoba about 33 miles away.  I  never got to either.  Too many better mom/pop places that are way better closer to us.

It's still like that and a lot of people share your views.  But it drives me a little nuts because I sometimes feel like it's "all the same food".  The fast foods we do have in NOLA are either Popeye's or hamburgers.  The "mom and pop" places are primarily poboy shops.  And my dirty little secret?  I don't really care for poboys.  A shrimp or oyster one is delicious every once in a great while, but they are too heavy to eat most of the time and I don't really crave them.  Whereas I do crave good, casual, "grab n go" Mexican food!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23 glad you're finally starting to get some relief...hope you got good drugs.

@charlotte989875 love the pics - did you lighten your hair?

@lyndausvi have fun on your hikes today!  I want to go back to Colorado so bad after experiencing the mountains last month.

My weekend sucked, I'm not going to sugar coat it.  Aside from working all weekend (money, money, money, money!) it was high anxiety.  My routine MRI on Monday showed a suspicious lump, so I had an ultrasound on Friday.  They decided at the ultrasound they wanted to biopsy, so we did that, and then of course another mammogram to make sure the marker was visible.  So basically I ran the gamut of breast care in one week (thankfully I have great insurance).  The ultrasound doctor (radiologist?) thinks it's likely fat necrosis from the reduction, but with my 25% lifetime risk it doesn't take the anxiety away.  I have so much to do for work and have zero focus.  But I do know the definitions to all sorts of new words now like hypoechoic, anterior, fat necrosis, fibrodenoma etc so I at least got something accomplished.

The upside is I leave for Florida Thursday for some sister time and cuddles with the nugget.  I could use that so much right now it hurts to wait!

• 6fsn said:

I used to get off work at Chi-Chis and drive through Taco Bell.  Ah, the good old days.

I've never seen a Chi-Chis, though I've heard of them.  I think they're primarily an East Coast chain.  I've bought their taco sauce in the grocery store.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2017

6fsn said:

I used to get off work at Chi-Chis and drive through Taco Bell.  Ah, the good old days.

I've never seen a Chi-Chis, though I've heard of them.  I think they're primarily an East Coast chain.  I've bought their taco sauce in the grocery store.

They're extinct as restaurants.  They only live on in the salsa business. 

We used to do all our bdays at Chi-Chis as a kid.  And I used to karaoke and drink underage at Chi-Chis with my gay work friends when I was 19, until the bartender (whom my co-worker had a thing for) started asking questions.  

*sigh* Those were the days.  ;) 
  • Heyo! 

I am am not a fan of chains if there are mom and pops available but every once in a while you can't beat chipotle/qdoba. (I don't like moes because they yell at you when you walk in the door. I know it is suppose to welcome you but I have the opposite reaction) I like chipotle for the simplicity but qdoba had cheese dip. The only fast food that I have been craving since I have been here is the only one I can't get, panara and their stupid bread bowls, lol. Everything else delivers; McDonalds, Burger King, Hardee's all deliver. It grosses me out.

Nothing new here, bought some plants for the balcony. If I can keep them alive for a month then we will be okay. :)

• I am am not a fan of chains if there are mom and pops available but every once in a while you can't beat chipotle/qdoba.

My old town has the best mom and pop Mexican restaurant.   And we have a few good local chain Mexican restaurants around here.  But I love Chipotle/Qdoba for quick and cheap, especially on the road or for 'treat yo'self' lunch.  ;) 
  • Feeling much better after a weekend with a cold and sore throat. That pretty much sums up my weekend. I have my book club tonight - really looking forward to it.

Glad you are feeling better @mrsconn23
    @charlotte989875 , my son attended his first post college "friend" wedding this weekend. They had a dollar dance too. I've never been to wedding that had one - thankfully. It seemed that this was the weekend for weddings. My niece was married, 3 of my friends from high school had kids get married and my son's friend!
    Have nice hikes @lyndausvi .

@kimmiinthemitten I hope everything turns out ok. I think it would be very anxiety creating to have to go through all those tests.

• kvrunskvruns member

lyndausvi said:

kvruns said:

Me too.  I'm not really a fan of newborns at all.   Plus new moms tend to be [understandable] protective and some barely let anyone hold them at all.  Once they get older the baby is more interactive.  Plus I think the moms tend to be happier to let them be held.

At least in my experience.

Yep I agree, babies with personality are way more fun. Although when he was a newborn I was desperate for a break and had wished they would have just watched him for a few hours so I got a break. I was definitely not overprotective mode. Oh well!
  • GBCKGBCK member
    The kiddo is home with strep.  Agan.
    The Mr.is home because his work sucks and he didn't get 2 separate doctors notes for 2 days off work because of a 4 day migraine...so he's suspended.
    Which, uh...works for getting shit done and me having to work early toorrow I guess.

The weekend was mostly me working sat, and being home w/a sick kid yesterday, so I've had better.  Buffy is beastly right now.  She feels like shit, I know, but she's also just plain being a PITA about it all.  Her's hoping for a speedy recovery.

And a nap later.

• GBCK said:

The kiddo is home with strep.  Agan.
    The Mr.is home because his work sucks and he didn't get 2 separate doctors notes for 2 days off work because of a 4 day migraine...so he's suspended.
    Which, uh...works for getting shit done and me having to work early toorrow I guess.

The weekend was mostly me working sat, and being home w/a sick kid yesterday, so I've had better.  Buffy is beastly right now.  She feels like shit, I know, but she's also just plain being a PITA about it all.  Her's hoping for a speedy recovery.

And a nap later.

So, I have to ask.  What is that about?  Does he need a dr.'s note every time he's sick?  Or only if it is two days or more?  And then he needs to have TWO dr.'s notes?  Like from two different doctors?  Or a separate note for each day?

I mean, however it's sliced, that is some crazy stuff.  I've never worked for anyplace like that.  I think the "strictest" sick policy I've had is "if you're sick more than 3 days in a row, you need a dr.'s note".  I was out for an entire week of work in Jan. 2016.  I had a dr.'s note ready, just in case, but no one ever asked me for one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• mrsconn23 said:

I am am not a fan of chains if there are mom and pops available but every once in a while you can't beat chipotle/qdoba.

My old town has the best mom and pop Mexican restaurant.   And we have a few good local chain Mexican restaurants around here.  But I love Chipotle/Qdoba for quick and cheap, especially on the road or for 'treat yo'self' lunch.  ;) 

Absolutely! Mom and pop Mexican places I want to sit and enjoy margaritas. I think I have ever eaten IN a chipotle a half dozen times. 
  • @charlotte989875 please tell me that at least did a cookie table

I'm WFH one last day and then going into the office T-Th (Friday off). Woke up the last 2 days with a headache, but both days it went away after i took a pill, got a drink and went back to sleep for a bit. even with the soreness/bruising, I definitely can tell a difference from last week in how i'm feeling - so hopefully the stem cells really are helping (or its a placebo effect - but whatever, i'll take it.)

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited May 2017
    I'm worn out, but SSDD on that really.  The end of June can't come fast enough.

K's roller derby game this weekend was really good.  Her team lost, badly, but they were totally outranked by their competitor and fought hard for everything they did get.  It was really fun to watch.  Competitor jammers were FAST.  They had one jammer that would hang back to hit the other jammer out (it's a 50/50 shot b/c you either hit the jammer out and you're able to keep scoring or you miss somehow and you can call off the jam).  Competitor jammer went after K twice.  The first time she missed (K is also fast) and the second time, K knocked her out.  :D  Competitor jammer called the jam, got up and bowed to her, which the crowd loved.  So really fun game to watch but the score was rough.  Also, our blockers need to start working together.  

Who know there would ever be a sport I could talk this much about?

I worked on Pride stuff pretty much all weekend while K worked.  Some excellent, and needed, BCBC last night has left my right hip wonky.  Getting old sucks!
  • We got a lot of those stupid little busy work chores done this weekend, which made me very happy because they tend to pile up in favor of bigger chores.  We also finally bought a mattress and used the last of our wedding GCs to get new sheets.  We still don't have a bed frame, but I think we've decided to build our own since I hate buying furniture sight unseen, our new bed budget is small, and I want something that will outlast our mattress. It'll be a lo-o-o-o-ng process, but should totally be worth it.

Now, I'm on hold with the tax people trying to find out where our enormous refund is.  I'm starting to get a little stabby.

Happy anniversary, @charlotte989875!  I hope you get the all clear soon, @kimmiinthemitten

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• 6fsn6fsn member
    Because I'm still a little shocked in sharing here too. The front and back of a kindergarten note. Oliver have this to my daughter.  
  • edited May 2017
    @CharmedPam Omg. I don't understand how a dollar dance can not feel like begging for money?? It's so strange. good of you to help out. I wonder if she'll thank you guys or assume that it isn't necessary? 

@mrsconn23 feel better soon! 

@lyndausvi I hope you're hikes went well! 

@charlotte989875 Happy Anniversary!

ETA: Are you kidding me?! This site has been cutting off my responses for the past week or so. Ugh. I wrote such a detailed post. Don't wanna type it again. :( 
    I should have copied it. What a silly thing to get irritated by and yet I'm now irritated. 

Saturday I went to AIC which was fun. I spent hours there with my best friend and in the East Asian exhibit, one woman mentioned how that was all mostly decoration and that the European art was real art. We also went to Instagram food places and had donut shakes, cake shakes, pho, empanadas, and pizza. Not all at once but throughout the course of the day. 

More importantly, my preparation she go to Ramadan are done and I'm so excited! Decorations have gone up and it's my last one unmarried and with my family. So it's kind of bittersweet but mostly sweet. I'm hyping my sisters up about going moonsighting on Friday.