Pre-wedding Parties

photographer at rehearsal??

Hi Ladies,
I read in at least 2 different magazines that brides should invite their photographer to the rehearsal dinner "so that he can get to know the guests and people of interest."  I had never heard of that, so I wanted to ask around a bit.  I'm DEFINITELY not paying my photographer to take any pictures at the actual rehearsal or the dinner, so if I invite him, it's just as a gesture more than anything else....

I guess I'm just wondering if he's, like, expecting an invitation to attend.....even though he's not taking any photos that night.... (??)

p.s.  rehearsal / wedding = 4 weeks away!  aaaaaack!

TIA!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: photographer at rehearsal??

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Never ever heard of that.  That advice is, IMO, just silly.

Your photographer is a professional who can figure out who the people of interest are.  How hard is it to figure out that the women in matching dresses are BMs.  Hmmmm the guys in tuxes must be GM.  The girl in the big white dress is probably  the bride.

Not to mention that the last person seated is the MOB.  And the woman across the aisle from her is the MOG.  That guy walking the bride down the aisle is a person of interest.  And so one.

And you can have a pre-wedding consultation or email conversation with him/her about "must have" pictures.

And then trust your photographer to do his/her job.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Our photographer came to our rehearsal and that was included in the package.  However she did not come nor expect an invite to the dinner.  She likes to go to the rehearsal to see how the layout works with people in it (like the altar server needed to move to the side during a part of the ceremony otherwise he would completely block it) and to give us pointers (like the bm's should walk a little slower so that she can get a couple good photos or for how long Dh and I needed to hold our kiss at the end).
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    akes sense, blackfire.  DD's photographer had been recommended by the venue, and when she called them, they commented that they had done many weddings there, so no need to get a feel for the venue.

And son and DIL's photographer actually traveled from South Central PA (where they lived) to eastern NJ for their wedding.  They loved his work, and as long as they paid his travel costs, he was willing to come.  But not for the rehearsal.  =)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I could see this making sense if it's a DW or if the photog had to travel to get to the location.  Other than that, not necessary.  FWIW, I hired a photog for my rehearsal, (different from my wedding photos, a much younger/cheaper photog) and loved having the rehearsal and rehearsal lunch captured.  
  • edited December 2011
    My photographer is also coming from OOT.  He has never seen our venue so he is excited to get shooting at the rehersal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards