Wedding Woes

Fri-Yay!

What's up?

Last night was the soccer party.  It was raining, but we had a great time.  Got in practice and the parent vs. kid game.  We had a muddy, wet, blast.  DH texted this morning with a simple "I'm 40."  Yep, maybe headers and diving in goal weren't the best idea after all. 

Today- Costco run.  It's close to an Ikea that opens in a week.  I need to stock up on anything I might need in the next 2 weeks- TP, allergy meds, chicken strips.
Tomorrow- 10:10 soccer, noon baseball (weather permitting) 3:30 soccer
Sunday- 8 am soccer, possible noon soccer, 3 pm party
Monday- nothing

Re: Fri-Yay!

• We're finally on the way to the airport.  

Our new mattress arrived last night.  It may almost be too firm for me (it's medium-soft!), but we haven't slept on it yet since we don't have any sheets yet.

I submitted my application for the rotation abroad.  Now, we wait.

Happy Memorial Day!

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    This might be more of a confession, but as I was driving to work today I was thinking about something from my ILs visit last weekend because the subject of weddings came up.

H's step-sis had a destination wedding PPD in Hawaii 3 years ago. Apparently his dad/step mom spent $32K on it (although now SSIL says she wishes she'd done a backyard wedding at home?!). We got married the next year and they paid for the rehearsal dinner and had their travel out to where we live so maybe $2K for all of that. At the time I found it strange they didn't give us a gift or even a card but I appreciated the fact that they paid for the rehearsal dinner and traveled out here was plenty. But I admit after hearing how much they spent on the daughter's wedding, and knowing their financial situation is the same, it made me think gee we didn't even get a card or a small gift but look at how much they spent on the other kid. 

I'm honestly not bitter about it (though my H probably is after hearing the amount!), I was happy they came out and we had a much nicer rehearsal dinner than if we had been paying so it was great. It just kind of hit me this morning where I can see how kids can feel the "unfairness" when one sibling gets way more than other. My brothers both got married before me and my parents paid for the rehearsal dinner plus gave a few thousand as a gift; my parents gave a similar amount to me for our wedding because they always try to be fair between us all. 
  • While I was "camping" H ripped up all the flooring in the kitchen. He's laying down new stuff but I definitely walked into a construction zone I wasn't anticipating yesterday. So we're doing house stuff today and we leave again in the morning to go to Buffalo for Memorial Day weekend. My sisters H is having a party Saturday and my FIL's surprised retirement party is Sunday. One of these days we'll spend an entire week and eeekend in our own house. Not this week. Or next. 
  • Good morning!!  It's going to be a quiet day in the office since it's Carb Day (wherein thousands of people go to the track to watch the cars for a few hours, drink all day, and then there's a concert that starts at 4p) and a good portion of our management and other staff are at the track. 

Kids are on their first day of summer break.  I hope they play nice.   I do only have to work two full weeks this summer...I have at least a day off every other week.  I can't believe we're done with Kindy and that the kiddo's halfway through HS.  Mind. Blown. ;) 

Tonight and tomorrow, I'm going to be cleaning and packing.  We leave at 8:30 Sunday morning.  :D  

I'm watching The Keepers on Netflix.  Wasn't sure what to expect, but it's entirely fucked up.  Not for the faint of heart for sure. 
  • kvrunskvruns member

While I was "camping" H ripped up all the flooring in the kitchen. He's laying down new stuff but I definitely walked into a construction zone I wasn't anticipating yesterday. So we're doing house stuff today and we leave again in the morning to go to Buffalo for Memorial Day weekend. My sisters H is having a party Saturday and my FIL's surprised retirement party is Sunday. One of these days we'll spend an entire week and eeekend in our own house. Not this week. Or next. 

Will the new stuff be down before you leave ?
  • kvrunskvruns member

mrsconn23 said:

Kids are on their first day of summer break.  I hope they play nice.   I do only have to work two full weeks this summer...I have at least a day off every other week.  I can't believe we're done with Kindy and that the kiddo's halfway through HS.  Mind. Blown. ;) 

I didn't realize the kiddo was in HS! For some reason I was thinking like 7th grade.  wow!
  • I'd find that whole scenario annoying and somewhat hurtful too, @kvruns.   

• kvruns said:

mrsconn23 said:

I didn't realize the kiddo was in HS! For some reason I was thinking like 7th grade.  wow!

LOL!  Yeah, my kids are 10 years apart in age.  The kiddo was 3 when I met DH.  DH has had sole custody since the kiddo was 2. 

• kvruns said:

While I was "camping" H ripped up all the flooring in the kitchen. He's laying down new stuff but I definitely walked into a construction zone I wasn't anticipating yesterday. So we're doing house stuff today and we leave again in the morning to go to Buffalo for Memorial Day weekend. My sisters H is having a party Saturday and my FIL's surprised retirement party is Sunday. One of these days we'll spend an entire week and eeekend in our own house. Not this week. Or next. 

Will the new stuff be down before you leave ?

Half of it. The kitchen but not the hallway. We were going to do this anyway, next week, but I guess he got bored and started early? It's going to look great just was expecting it. 
  • I'm very jealous of anyone who is currently on summer vacation.  We still have 5 weeks to go.  

Team lists were posted at about 11pm last night after tryouts, and while I was put on the team I knew I would get, my phone has been blowing up with texts, snaps and messages, and I have no will power to not look, cos I wanted to know who ended up where.  And then I couldn't sleep cos I'm trying to decide if I stay at my current gym or go back to my old one.  Sorry, probably a little confusing.  I'm just tired today and really glad it's Friday

• @kvruns  that moment you realize your age lmao! M feels his age {which is 26 - almost 27} any time he drinks. He's down and out for more than a day, which when he was early 20s he'd drink one night, hang over then go out next night.

@atomicblonde  yay new mattress!! Ours is medium and M thought it would be too hard, but he ended up loving it. Vibes for the application :)

@charlotte989875  hopefully it's done quicker than you expect :\

@mrsconn23  like @kvruns said, I thought kiddo was younger :')

So M has a cold. Likely a man-cold, but the dr gave him a sick note since he kept running a fever. He's home today. The cough he has is really rough, so I'm debating on picking up some cough syrup with groceries tonight to help kill it.

Saturday - meeting up with some friends and we're going to the cat cafe :) I'm pretty excited lol The cats are from the stray cat society, and this helps them get adopted or fostered. Once a cat gets adopted or fostered, they post it on their instagram and website, with updates :)
    I'm just excited for cats lmao
    Depending on how M feels, we may head over to the ribfest going on that isn't far from us.

Sunday - I think one of my friends is coming over and we may do some gardening. They're calling for rain though, so I'm not sure. I may try to convince M to help me tidy the basement and garage a bit. I got more boxes from the spare room down to the basement - where they should be.
  • It's raining here. Again. And traffic was the pits coming in. But I have no meetings - just playing catch-up - and my office closes at 2pm for the holiday weekend, so at least there's that. 

Going to a birthday party for my godson tomorrow - he turns 3 next weekend, but my friend (his mom) is due in two weeks and is afraid she might go into labor early, so we're celebrating this weekend instead. 

Other than that, H & I have no plans for the weekend. I might pick up a replacement hydrangea this weekend - one of the ones we have along our picket fence in the front didn't make it through the winter. 
  • @CharmedPam  I pack a few weeks in advance because of my inability to make a decision. Typically I start trying to figure out what to bring a month in advance, then start pulling outfits together a few weeks out. This way I know if I need to not wear something or if I should be sure to do laundry, especially if I want to bring something I love to wear.

• @CharmedPam  I pack a few weeks in advance because of my inability to make a decision. Typically I start trying to figure out what to bring a month in advance, then start pulling outfits together a few weeks out. This way I know if I need to not wear something or if I should be sure to do laundry, especially if I want to bring something I love to wear.

Oh.....you probably have clothes that fit you.  I'm gone for 10 days.  I think I own 10 tops that fit. LOL.  BAM in goes the 10 tops that actually fit.

• @CharmedPam, we have 100 nights, actually! It was one of the reasons we purchased that brand.  Also, I'm so jealous you're going to Ireland. It sounds awesome.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @CharmedPam, we have 100 nights, actually! It was one of the reasons we purchased that brand.  Also, I'm so jealous you're going to Ireland. It sounds awesome.

100 is great.  The 2nd to last bed I bought, I wish I had 100 days.  It's the guest bed now, but man do I LOVE the one I bought.  I test out a lot of hotel beds :)

And thanks, this trip is years in the making!

Oh.....you probably have clothes that fit you.  I'm gone for 10 days.  I think I own 10 tops that fit. LOL.  BAM in goes the 10 tops that actually fit.

Fitting and wanting to wear are completely different. On Monday, for a BBQ at my aunt's place - I changed 4x because I "wasn't feeling it" lmao

Also, you need to go shopping. lol

Fitting and wanting to wear are completely different. On Monday, for a BBQ at my aunt's place - I changed 4x because I "wasn't feeling it" lmao

Also, you need to go shopping. lol

I tried to go for this trip, but ended up depressed since nothing fit.  I probably have over 150 tops in my closet but I gained 50 lbs since meeting DH.  I need to lose the 50 pounds is what I really need to do! 

• Congrats to your FI @Ro041
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

Have fun and be safe, to everyone going on trips for this long weekend!

@CharmedPam, and an extra dose of have fun for you!  It sounds like a great trip, I know you all must be so excited.  And, unless my flight is early in the morning, I totally pack like you do!  If I'm "on my game", maybe I'll be done packing the night before.  That's about my best, lol.  Usually I'll start the night before and finish the morning of.

@Ro041, Wow!  Big congrats to your FI!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Have fun and be safe, to everyone going on trips for this long weekend!

@CharmedPam, and an extra dose of have fun for you!  It sounds like a great trip, I know you all must be so excited.  And, unless my flight is early in the morning, I totally pack like you do!  If I'm "on my game", maybe I'll be done packing the night before.  That's about my best, lol.  Usually I'll start the night before and finish the morning of.

It depends on the trip, but currently...I haven't packed a stitch for Texas.  I also haven't checked our sunscreen stash or toiletries or anything.  I'm definitely going to be running around tomorrow to get stuff done.  

But we're only going to be gone 4 days, so we don't even need that much anyway. DefConn and I will be in one suitcase and I'm not even bringing a carry-on.  Just backpacks with a change of clothes for each of us along with our electronics. 

When we camp, I have to start a few days early or else we'll forget something.  And when we did Hawaii, I packed early because it was all shorts and stuff that we weren't using (as it was October).  

• mrsconn23 said:

It depends on the trip, but currently...I haven't packed a stitch for Texas.  I also haven't checked our sunscreen stash or toiletries or anything.  I'm definitely going to be running around tomorrow to get stuff done.  

But we're only going to be gone 4 days, so we don't even need that much anyway. DefConn and I will be in one suitcase and I'm not even bringing a carry-on.  Just backpacks with a change of clothes for each of us along with our electronics. 

When we camp, I have to start a few days early or else we'll forget something.  And when we did Hawaii, I packed early because it was all shorts and stuff that we weren't using (as it was October).  

I am probably the worst with road trips.  There isn't quite that sense of urgency.  And, the next thing I know, I've dilly-dallied so much that we're missing out on a few hours our first day.  And my well thought out plans of leaving by "X time" in order to avoid rush hour traffic somewhere in our journey, are now kaput also. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• mrsconn23 said:

I am probably the worst with road trips.  There isn't quite that sense of urgency.  And, the next thing I know, I've dilly-dallied so much that we're missing out on a few hours our first day.  And my well thought out plans of leaving by "X time" in order to avoid rush hour traffic somewhere in our journey, are now kaput also. 

Guys .... I'm going on a road trip at THE END of September and I'm already trying to figure out what to wear.
    It's for a wedding, but questions keep running through my head.
    - what am I wearing to the wedding?
    - what will the weather be like?
    - since M and I will be TTC before then, will I be pregnant at that point?
    - will I have sickness? {note: buying gravol anyways - found a nondrowsy type!}
    - should I anticipate all weather?
    - WHAT AM I WEARING {seriously .... I'm kinda thinking a maxi dress or skirt}
  • kvrunskvruns member
    @short+sassy that sounds very similar to my H. The added dynamic here is that his mom died when he was in college and dad remarried and moved across the country. So he's been "abandoned" by dad and dad has the new family now (her kids were in HS when they married). So he feels left behind and things like this add to it. Not to mention his step siblings definitely mooch off of his dad/step mom so I think the wedding is a long ling of things like giving the other kids their cars instead of making them buy one after college, living rent free until 30, now they buy the babies all sorts of stuff for their own house and the kids 'steal' it and then dad/step mom have to buy it again for their house (car seats, baby gates, toys, etc). Even though we are financially secure and it isn't about the money, it is about the unfairness like you mentioned. 
  • @kvruns both of my parents are the "least favorite children." It's visible and I can see how much it hurts them. SOs parents also obviously have favorite children as well and it's bred resentment among the siblings. My brother probably thinks I'm the favorite child, but he has problems and everything in life is unfair to him. *eye roll*

Today I have to pick up the benefits paperwork from work and look over it. I only get one or two things immediately and the rest kick in after 90 days. I'm also trying to get to my chiropractor and the gym, and I have a paper to write. SO wants to go out to dinner tonight too. We haven't had a date night with each other in months. There's also some talk of going to San Diego this weekend, but that probably won't go anywhere. We'll see.