Wedding Party

8-10 kids in Ceremony

Hello, 

I have 8-10 kids Fiancé and I would like to include, this is in addition to 3 Jr's on each side already. Our venue doesn't allow anything to be dropped besides flower petals, but alas I'm allergic so I also need ideas that they can carry. My fiancé doesn't like the sign ideas.

There is a 9 yr old (m) and 7 yr old (f) that may or may not be in attendance. 7 yr (m) 6 yr (f) 5 yr (m) 5 yr (f) 4 yr (m) 4 yr (f) and the last 2 will only be included if we have someone pull them in a wagon, but need ideas of what they can do. Their ages are 2 yr (m) & 2 yr (f). 

It is important to us to find roles for all of our nieces and nephews to fill. All ages reflect how old they will be at the ceremony.

Thank you

Re: 8-10 kids in Ceremony

• Hello, 

I have 8-10 kids Fiancé and I would like to include, this is in addition to 3 Jr's on each side already. Our venue doesn't allow anything to be dropped besides flower petals, but alas I'm allergic so I also need ideas that they can carry. My fiancé doesn't like the sign ideas.

There is a 9 yr old (m) and 7 yr old (f) that may or may not be in attendance. 7 yr (m) 6 yr (f) 5 yr (m) 5 yr (f) 4 yr (m) 4 yr (f) and the last 2 will only be included if we have someone pull them in a wagon, but need ideas of what they can do. Their ages are 2 yr (m) & 2 yr (f). 

It is important to us to find roles for all of our nieces and nephews to fill. All ages reflect how old they will be at the ceremony.

Thank you

JIC
  • I don't think you should try to include that many children in a wedding party. You will also find that a lot of people (myself included) don't like the idea of having children pulled in a wagon for safety reasons. You could have the girls be flower girls - they could carry artificial flowers either in a basket or as a ball. You could have one of the boys be a ring bearer. Other than that there are really no roles for children that young unless the 9 year old would be comfortable doing a reading.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    The only wedding party "roles" there are are bridesmaids/men, groomsmen/maids, readers, and flower girls or ring bearers for kids about 3-8 years old. Don't try to find anything else for these kids to "do" - especially the 2 year-olds. Don't ask them to pass things out.

Anyone younger than 3 is IMO too young to be in the wedding party-especially if they can't get up and down the aisle on their own. Just have them in photos and leave it at that.

And I think 8 kids in the wedding party is a few too many. It could be very hard to coordinate all those kids doing what you want them to at the right moment.

Added for: Are the parents of all these kids attending the wedding? The parents have to be treated the same as any other guests - invited with their partners, seated together and graciously thanked - and they and their kids need to be invited to both the ceremony and reception. 
  • My husband has a lot of cousins.   They have had bridal parties with a lot of flower girls and ring bearers and the flower girls just wear a crown of flowers on their heads.  Boys dressed in suits. 

They don't try to create a lot of unique roles.   They just have a group of girls and boys walk in at the same time.   Simple.   Cute.  No mess. 

As for the little 2 yo kids, I wouldn't recommend it but if you want to, have low expectations with that age group.  With the quantity of kids in my in-law's family, it's not a big deal for a parent to see an uncooperative child and scoop him/her up as needed.   If you're not OK with the idea that things are probably not going to go to plan, I'd re-think the idea. 
  • Here's what I'd do:

- 9 and 7 year olds (3 total) can hand out programs and wear whatever - nothing dictated; give them corsages/bouts
    - the 6, 5 and 4 year old girls can be flower girls. They can toss fake petals since you're allergic to real ones.
    - 4 and 5 year old boys can be ring bearers, one can carry your ring, one can carry your FI's ring
    - Do not include the 2 year olds*

*My SIL asked that my son be in her wedding this year. He'll be 2. Like it's some kind of honor for him. He doesn't care. He doesn't know what's going on. It's just a hassle for me to put him in some uncomfortable outfit he doesn't want to wear and work with him for months to do something simple with ZERO guarantee he will follow through. Then I have to make him behave for "cute photos" and more stuff he doesn't care about. It's just stressful for me. So there's a perspective from parents of the little ones.
    *********************************************************************************

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Other than MOH/BM, BM/GM and FG/RB, and reader, there aren't other roles.  If you're having a mass, maybe the older ones could bring up the gifts?  You're having trouble finding roles for them to fill because there aren't roles.  I love @JaxInBlue ideas (fun group photo, special dance).  If you're having a dessert buffet, maybe make a big deal out of them being first in line for the chocolate fountain/make-your-own-sundaes/candy buffet?  
  • MobKazMobKaz member

I don't think you should try to include that many children in a wedding party. You will also find that a lot of people (myself included) don't like the idea of having children pulled in a wagon for safety reasons. You could have the girls be flower girls - they could carry artificial flowers either in a basket or as a ball. You could have one of the boys be a ring bearer. Other than that there are really no roles for children that young unless the 9 year old would be comfortable doing a reading.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited May 2017

Hello, 

Thank you

I know a great role that they can all fill, and this will include them all!  Invite them as GUESTS.  That is an honor, and they will enjoy the reception if you have a special kids dance just for them.  Cake helps, too!

Your wedding is about you and your fiance being united in marriage.  Your wedding is not a place to parade your relatives.  Most churches will not allow children to be in the wedding party if they are too young to understand what is taking place.  The wagon idea is potentially dangerous.  I really side-eye people who use children as cuteness props for their wedding.  This whole scenario sounds like a train wreck in the making.  Give the kids a break.  Let them sit with the grandparents and enjoy the ceremony.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited May 2017
    You could call all the children 'bride's attendants' and 'groom's attendants,' and not worry about giving each a specific title. Give the parents a heads up that you would like their children to be in your wedding party. Ask them to select age appropriate pastel or ivory party dresses or black slacks and white dress shirt. To tie the look together you could provide sashes and neck ties that match. Bouts for the boys and wrist corsages for the girls and they're good to go. The two year olds should be carried by their parents or other trusted adults. The children can pose for a few formal pics and then sit with their parents at the reception.

If you don't want to use real flowers, maybe you could make felt bouts and wristlets.
    http://greenweddingshoes.com/diy-felt-flower-boutonniere/

• Have the 2yo's walk in with the rest of the herd of cats - I mean kids...  With all kids, go with the flow if one gets cold feet before and decides they don't want to walk, it's o.k. to let them come in to sit with the rest when they're ready as a "NO BIG DEAL!".  Just thinking the 2yo's at DS's daycare, some are really animated/social/mobile to the point of belting out songs with the best of them, others, not so much - totally dependent on the child.  

As for attire - choose something easy to purchase off the rack during Easter season (starts around February) in a color (White/cream/beige) and let the parents decide what is in their budget instead of dictating something expensive or that needs to be ordered long in advance (a 2yo will change sizes at least 2-3 times from the start of the year to their turning 3)...  

As for flowers, just use silks if you insist on having them or flowers to toss (you can buy silk petals cheaply)
  • SP29SP29 member
    It's your choice who and how many people you ask to be part of your wedding party. If you want all your nieces and nephews in your WP, I think that is fine. But I wouldn't try to create special roles for them. They can all be flower girls or ringer bearers/page boys. I'm thinking of what you may see more commonly with British weddings.

The children don't *have* to carry anything. You could get pomanders for the flower girls.