Wedding Woes

Morning

What's up? 

6let has camp day 2.  I asked M2 and Max what they wanted to do for fun. "Go to Target for popcorn."  Alrighty then.  I did want to look for some sleeveless shirts and pool snacks.  I've got cards tonight and DH is taking 6let to a game so we are getting the rare baby sitter.  They are so excited- M2 put on a dress and Max is wearing a button up shirt just for the occasion.

I hate insurance.  I spent 2 hrs on the phone yesterday for the third time and still no resolution.  Office billing says it's because insurance processed it wrong.  Insurance says that doctor is not contracted and hasn't been for some time.  Doctor's office says they are contracted and doesn't know what's wrong.  I've got a $200 bill that is on it's final notice and I shouldn't owe anything.  Fuckers. 

Re: Morning

• @6fsn  Lol apparently Target has great popcorn? I miss the Target, despite it's brief time in Canada :(
    Your issues with insurance sounds like our constant issue with CRA {Canadian IRS basically} always spending majority of the time fucking around on the phone with them.

Ooohhh I am sore today! We went top karting last night and damn those things are hard to turn! M said he was grateful for power steering when we were leaving.

This was the first event for M's work, so I met a bunch of people. I actually clicked with one girl - who happened to be one of M's boss' fiance and we started chatting after finding out they're getting married at same venue we did! :)
    We chatted most of the night, so made me feel less awkward.

It wasn't until we were in the car that M was like "you know X dude and Y lady?" I was like, yeh they seemed nice :) We chatted with them.
    "Well X dude is the CTO of the company and Y lady is CEO of the company"
    UHM WHAT!?

First, you'd never guess it because they didn't look/act like it {yay!} but it was crazy to have a CEO/CTO come to a company event.

I'm pretty sore today. My back and the triceps from trying to turn. My damn car didn't move as fast as some, so I was 12th
  • The house has slowly reached a tipping point of shit which has amassed over the years -- DH doesn't throw stuff out, so we have childhood comics going back 30+ years (many still in the original wrapping, unread), hundreds of toys collected during a phase he went through where ANYTHING Starwars *had* to be bought, clothes that haven't been worn for years, broken things that we will never fix, Starwars junk that has been gifted to DH (heaven forbid we toss those plastic cups we have literally never used, and are just taking up prime real estate in our teeny tiny kitchen).  My parents are also visiting, so I'm feeling extra crowded.  I think I'm going to go through a declutter month, and all that crap will be moved to DH's room.  I just need to feel peace again when I enter a room, any room.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @joney I feel your pain.  DH has inherited that hoarder gene from both parents and I have to fight hard to keep my sanity.

I've got two craft projects today.  I'm no crafty so it should be interesting.  I want to make a giant outdoor memory game and if I can find glue we're jumping on the slime bandwagon.
  • @6fsn Ooh what slime recipe are you using?  I've heard that they're now recommending people stop using Borax for slime for health reasons. My favorite thing working with slightly older kids is that our crafting activities have advanced beyond crayons and paste. We made stressballs out of corn starch and water, which was also a super fun sensory project -- with the right ratio you have a liquid and solid (liquid if you let it slide through your hand, solid if you hit it with some force).  We also tried making hydrophobic sand a couple years ago, but it didn't turn out quite like Pinterest said it would. 

DH thinks he has a terrible memory, so these trinkets will be the only things he has to remind him of his life.  I don't know, maybe he has a poor long term memory, but once he pulled out an old photograph of him as a small child holding a cat.  "See!  If I hadn't saved this photo from all those years ago then I would have forgotten that I had been crying just minutes before it was taken!"  Gasp!  An adult not remembering every single time they cried during childhood!
  • Good morning. 
    SSDD. I am "growing out" my leg hair so I can try out this at home waxing shit. We'll see how it goes. In the mean time, it is super annoying.

i have been rocking the dinner game recently. Monday night I made a lentil chili/ chicken tortilla soup hybrid. DH, who doesn't eat leftovers, said he was hoping for more tonight; the 3rd night it a row! He was probably just being nice but tonight I made (one pan) lemon chicken with baby potatoes and asparagus that is completely gone. I am feeling pretty proud of myself.

so watch me literally fall off my horse tonight, lol.
  • edited May 2017
    @6fsn I'm going through some similar BS with the pediatrician. They've processed 2 claims in my name instead of Mouse's, then can't figure out from the letter stating the claim was filed with DSC as the patient and needs to be resubmitted with Mouse as the patient that they need to refile the claim. It took several phone calls to the doctor's billing office and my insurance company to finally get it straight and then they did it again!!!

I was just told I look tired. Thanks asshole. I'm well aware that I look tired. I haven't slept all night in 2 years dickface.

We have an appointment for closing on H's house this Friday. I can't wait to get out from under that house. Now just waiting to get inspection and appraisal on my house so we can close on it. I'm a bit worried about some earthquake damage. There's cracking in the exterior, but nothing inside, so I'm positive it's earthquake and not abnormal settling. Fingers crossed.

eta - in one of my crochet groups someone said she wants to save money by crocheting favors for everyone. I told her that most people don't want favors unless they're edible and she'd be better off making her bouquet and I really hope she takes my advice because, while some people love crocheted items, many more don't and will throw her hard work in the trash.
  • I hear you all on the clutter. With all the house projects and traveling every weekend since April we just have stuff everywhere. And I'm leaving Friday for NYC. 

Not much today, doing paint touch ups in the bathroom and H is finishing the kitchen flooring. Then I'm making signs because anti-choice groups are protesting the clinic tonight. And avoiding replying to emails. 
  • @Joney, hoarder* here (raises hand)!

I used to be a lot worse than I currently am.  I was/am a "sentimental hoarder" and "value hoarder".  By "value hoarder", I mean saying things like, "But never mind I never use it.  It is still new and in the box!  Or I paid $XXX for this.  Maybe I'll use it someday.  Maybe it will make a good gift at some point in time.  Maybe I can sell it."  Except any one of those scenarios rarely happens.

Here are some ideas/mental exercises that have helped me let go of things:

• I know how silly this sounds, but I'll say "good-bye" to an item.  Sometimes I'll even reminisce about it.  Remember why I loved it so much at one time, but why I now have to let it go.  If it's something that I'm donating, I'll picture the joy that old toy will bring the next child.  Or how gorgeous the next young woman will feel in my kick-a** dress from my early 20s, that I can't even fit my leg in anymore, lol.  And would have no business wearing even if I could, lol.
    • For items I just can't let go of for sentimental reasons, despite trying to talk myself into it.  I have a couple boxes where those items go and get stored away.  I'll look through those boxes every couple years.  I've found, once they have been relegated to those boxes, I can usually bear to let more items go the next time around. 
    • For "value" items, if they are indeed valuable/easy to sell, I put those in their own box.  And a couple times a year I'll do some mass listings on Ebay/Craig's List, etc.  Anything that doesn't sell, I accept I was "wrong" about its value and donate it.  For anything not worth selling, I remind myself that everybody makes mistakes in buying things.  It's okay.  It's just a little wasted money.  It's no big deal and I will feel a lot better just having those items out of my house instead of lugging them around behind me the rest of my life.

In my youth, I had a partner in crime with my hoarding.  One of my good friends.  We were the types who would devour the 99 Cent stores and buy stuff just because they were "good deals".  She was living at home, at the time, and had this notion to store all of these great deals to make setting up her future home even easier.  At one point, she even had to rent a storage unit for about $100/month.  Hardly a "deal" and completely insane!  But that is the power of hoarding.

*Disclaimer, I'm not a hoarder like on that scary tv show series.  Just have too much stuff and way more stuff than I need, so my house is unnecessarily cluttered.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Those are some really great tips @short+sassy  *thumbs up*
  • @Joney  the comics I get - they could be worth money ;) - but is there a way his crap stuff could be kept but in stuff like bins? That way he keeps his stuff and you don't have to deal with seeing it all the time.
    *side note: have your H watch 'hoarders' - although, it'll either make him clean or make him think 'it could be worse' lmao

@missJeanLouise  Urg I feel you on the annoyance. Before a trip I was getting sugar waxing, and I had to grow out hair. SO DAMN ANNOYING! 6 friggen weeks of growth and I'm that person who typically shaves every shower ....

@DrillSergeantCat  what a dick. and fingers crossed!

@short+sassy  I'm a memory hoarder!  It's crazy, when you're a sentimental or memory hoarder, you have to physically do things to let go of it. I did that with cards recently.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @joney I'm doing a recipe with baking soda, glue, and contact solution. We'll see 

• @Joney  the comics I get - they could be worth money ;) - but is there a way his crap stuff could be kept but in stuff like bins? That way he keeps his stuff and you don't have to deal with seeing it all the time.
    *side note: have your H watch 'hoarders' - although, it'll either make him clean or make him think 'it could be worse' lmao

@missJeanLouise  Urg I feel you on the annoyance. Before a trip I was getting sugar waxing, and I had to grow out hair. SO DAMN ANNOYING! 6 friggen weeks of growth and I'm that person who typically shaves every shower ....

@DrillSergeantCat  what a dick. and fingers crossed!

@short+sassy  I'm a memory hoarder!  It's crazy, when you're a sentimental or memory hoarder, you have to physically do things to let go of it. I did that with cards recently.

Second bolded:  I've also heard advice for sentimental hoarding to take a picture of the items before throwing them away or donating them.  But I personally didn't find that helpful at all.

First bolded:  I found watching Hoarders helped me.  It was actually one of my first motivations to do something about my clutter.  Although to a much lesser degree, I recognized myself in some of the things they were doing.  Some of the reasons they were holding on to things.  And I'd think things like, "Gah!  I know a lot of that stuff are new items, but you're drowning in it.  Just get rid of it!"  Then...hmmmm...recognition that I do the same thing and should take my own advice!

@Joney, I forgot to mention.  I don't know if you're H also has too many t-shirts.  I found a GREAT solution for that!  There are a couple sites out there where you can mail in your t-shirts and have them turned into a quilt.  For someone like me, I love the idea.  I can preserve whatever memories I had from the shirts, but in one quilt.  Instead of a GIANT tote box, lol.  The quilts are not cheap but, depending on the size you order, they can use between 16-64 tee-shirts.  I'm planning on using Project Repat because I bought a Living Social for them.  If that interests you all, keep an eye out on Living Social.  Project Repat seems to put a deal up there a few times a year.  Or they have 15% off your first order when you sign up for their e-mails.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello!!

@missJeanLouise I have always wanted to do a legwax, but I can never make it past Day 3 of no shaving...

I keep thinking today is Tuesday. I'm so happy it's not. I have two meetings this afternoon, and came in early for a meeting with some of our subs which went really well. Other than that it's SSDD over here. 
  • edited May 2017
    @Joney @short+sassy @MissKittyDanger my dad has some hoarding tendencies, my sister finally started getting him to edit (especially with his 'this could be worth something' things) by telling him that no body wants his shit and after he dies we are just going to throw it all away anyway. It sounds super harsh but it is what my dad needed to hear (but also not entirely true). Once he got better about not keeping stuff that 'might be', it got easier for him to get rid of the definitely Won't be and to stop collecting stuff because 'it was such a great deal'.

edited because I never proofread :(
  • re: de-cluttering, DK and I started cleaning out a closet last night that has been largely untouched since we moved to TX in 2010. since we had limited time to purge pre-move, a lot of this stuff probably should have been tossed 7+ years ago. among our finds: 

1) A CD from AOL with 700 FREE HOURS of INTERNET! New in packaging. 
    2) A Motorola flip phone, that was DK's original college cell. + all accessories We graduated in 2005, and he got a new phone in early 2006. 
    3) A generic flash drive MP3 player.
    4) A book lamp
    5) A Fujifilm single use camera "process by 2008", new in box.
    6) A  "sports hook radio" - with headphones!, new in package
    7) at least 2 old computer towers (we need to disassemble and destroy the hard drives), plus keyboards, speakers, monitors, and a printer. 
    8) an inflatable "Sandy Cheeks" (the squirrel from Spongebob) - i'm giving her to our kid. 
    9) a metric shitton of office supplies (DK: 'What in the world do we need a 3 hole punch for, and where did this come from?" Me: "from my office, pre-move. I think I had at least 3 of them. keep that, it's still good.")
    10) at least 7 or 8 empty boxes from cell phones, and other computer/tech gadgets from over the years 

...and we're only 1/3 of the way through

• re: de-cluttering, DK and I started cleaning out a closet last night that has been largely untouched since we moved to TX in 2010. since we had limited time to purge pre-move, a lot of this stuff probably should have been tossed 7+ years ago. among our finds: 

1) A CD from AOL with 700 FREE HOURS of INTERNET! New in packaging. 
    2) A Motorola flip phone, that was DK's original college cell. + all accessories We graduated in 2005, and he got a new phone in early 2006. 
    3) A generic flash drive MP3 player.
    4) A book lamp
    5) A Fujifilm single use camera "process by 2008", new in box.
    6) A  "sports hook radio" - with headphones!, new in package
    7) at least 2 old computer towers (we need to disassemble and destroy the hard drives), plus keyboards, speakers, monitors, and a printer. 
    8) an inflatable "Sandy Cheeks" (the squirrel from Spongebob) - i'm giving her to our kid. 
    9) a metric shitton of office supplies (DK: 'What in the world do we need a 3 hole punch for, and where did this come from?" Me: "from my office, pre-move. I think I had at least 3 of them. keep that, it's still good.")
    10) at least 7 or 8 empty boxes from cell phones, and other computer/tech gadgets from over the years 

...and we're only 1/3 of the way through

• @short+sassy 'hoarders' and looking up about minimalism really helped me narrow down what I wanted to keep. Also moving. When packing I spent a lot of time going "do i really want to pack this?" We got rid of so much!
    However .... M is a pack rat who doesn't go through his crap stuff. I'm sure once he does, a lot will go but until then *sigh* Stays in boxes.

• @Joney @short+sassy @MissKittyDanger my dad has some hoarding tendencies, my sister finally started getting him to edit (especially with his 'this could be worth something' things) by telling him that no body wants his shit and after he dies we are just going to throw it all away anyway. It sounds super harsh but it is what my dad needed to hear (but also not entirely true). Once he got better about not keeping stuff that 'might be', it got easier for him to get rid of the definitely Won't be and to stop collecting stuff because 'it was such a great deal'.

edited because I never proofread :(

My mum didn't realize how much of a hoarder my dad was until he passed and she was going through his papers. He had a tax return from 1980! He was more of a paper hoarder though lol

• Hello!!

@missJeanLouise I have always wanted to do a legwax, but I can never make it past Day 3 of no shaving...

I keep thinking today is Tuesday. I'm so happy it's not. I have two meetings this afternoon, and came in early for a meeting with some of our subs which went really well. Other than that it's SSDD over here. 

Weird fact about short+sassy, I don't grow any hair on my legs.  I know, I know.  It is really unusual.

But before you all are all jealous, it's a side effect of having a thyroid with almost no function.  At least it is a silver lining for a crappy medical condition, lol.  Men with a low thyroid can tend toward baldness.  But me?  I stopped growing hair on my legs instead.  Fortunately, the hair on my head is fine.

I never found anything about this happening to other women and asked my endocrinologist about it a few years ago.  She was surprised and said she'd never heard of that, but could see why it happened.

I do take medication to get my thyroid more into a normal range, but the hair still doesn't grow (shrug).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My mum didn't realize how much of a hoarder my dad was until he passed and she was going through his papers. He had a tax return from 1980! He was more of a paper hoarder though lol

Oh!  Random warning for PPs in the U.S.  Do you know how they say you can get rid of any paperwork/tax documents (in regards to the IRS) after 7 years?  THAT IS A LIE!!!!  After 7 years, at least keep the proof that you filed.  It should just be 1-2 pages.

I had my state go after me...TWELVE years later about state income tax I supposedly owed because I (supposedly) didn't file my taxes in the year 2000.  I pulled out the old, "But that's longer than 7 years.  I no longer have any of those documents.  Because the IRS says they can be thrown away."  Not to mention.  Katrina?  Remember that happened, State of Louisiana?  Almost nobody in NOLA has paperwork going past the year 2005.

The caveat on 7 years?  That isn't true if a person didn't file their taxes.  But how do you prove you filed your taxes if you threw all that s**t out after 7 years?  You can't!  So you're totally screwed.  Been there, done that, and bought the $1800 t-shirt. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @short+sassy 'hoarders' and looking up about minimalism really helped me narrow down what I wanted to keep. Also moving. When packing I spent a lot of time going "do i really want to pack this?" We got rid of so much!
    However .... M is a pack rat who doesn't go through his crap stuff. I'm sure once he does, a lot will go but until then *sigh* Stays in boxes.

This is literally me right now. 
  • @Joney SO has the same problem.  He has an empty tissue box from his alma mater, and I just can't.  I throw things away that are >6 months old, and unused as long as they aren't seasonal.  SO keeps bringing things home and it's probably one of our longest standing "fights" as a couple. *sigh* I dream of a home that's uncluttered and logical.  

Today I am having lunch with a friend before we go to class.  We have a test and two quizzes so that should be fun.  Then I have to come home and get ready for work tomorrow.  At least it's a classroom day. 

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Target popcorn is good! I haven't had it in a long time because I like to eat the whole bag myself!

@6fsn any chance you have a work EAP that handles insurance billing issues? Ours does, you can send them billing issues and they can help work it out on your behalf. I did it on one of mine that I was tired of going back and forth on although as it turned out it finally resolved itself around the same time the EAP started working on it.
  • My mother still has a copy of windows on FLOPPY DISC !! The only reason I can think of is because she thinks it is funny but both of my parents have a find time of getting rid of things. They say minimalism is a luxury/ privilege because when you are/ grew up poor there is a greater chance that things Will come in handy and throwing things out means having to buy them later. 

DH has an old floppy disc labeled Sex Tape we keep around for jokes. No idea what's on it though.

• My mother still has a copy of windows on FLOPPY DISC !! The only reason I can think of is because she thinks it is funny but both of my parents have a find time of getting rid of things. They say minimalism is a luxury/ privilege because when you are/ grew up poor there is a greater chance that things Will come in handy and throwing things out means having to buy them later. 

DH has an old floppy disc labeled Sex Tape we keep around for jokes. No idea what's on it though.

That is a major part of SO's hoarding. I try to be sensitive about it, but mostly I just get frustrated.  

This is literally me right now. 

Fact: it doesn't go away.
    I was unpacking stuff and it started going "do i really wanna find a spot for this?" :')

• Hello!!

Weird fact about short+sassy, I don't grow any hair on my legs.  I know, I know.  It is really unusual.

But before you all are all jealous, it's a side effect of having a thyroid with almost no function.  At least it is a silver lining for a crappy medical condition, lol.  Men with a low thyroid can tend toward baldness.  But me?  I stopped growing hair on my legs instead.  Fortunately, the hair on my head is fine.

I never found anything about this happening to other women and asked my endocrinologist about it a few years ago.  She was surprised and said she'd never heard of that, but could see why it happened.

I do take medication to get my thyroid more into a normal range, but the hair still doesn't grow (shrug).

My grandfather (who died in his mid-80s) never had leg hair (or else he waxed them or something). He had a full head of hair when he passed, so likely wasn't the thyroid condition - but I always remember asking my mom why he couldn't have bothered to pass along that gene/trait. 

• Hello!!

Yikes! I hadn't heard of that happening to people with thyroid issues...

Also - I have been tested over and over and over for thyroid issues and I'm always on the very low end of normal. Maybe TMI, but in the last month I have noticed my underarm hair growth has really slowed. Way down. Which is odd because the hair on my head is growing fast due to preggo hormones. May be worth it for me to have my doc recheck my levels after I deliver. 
  • K is a clutter bug.  Which is why I'm really glad we're moving into the larger apartment.  It'll help me get away from it.  She likes knick knacks and just Stuff.  She has 50+ hats (and she wears one just about every day and rotates them all, plus uses them for drag, so it's hard to make the "you don't use them" argument).  I don't mind it as long as it can put organized (Funny story: we bought a bunch of towel rods and s-hooks from IKEA.  I bought 40 s-hooks.  She kept insisting that was too many.  I put all the rods up, hung the hats with s-hooks, took a picture, and sent it to her with the note:  I need at least 12 more hooks.  Now they're all hanging on the wall...I can breathe).  We're still trying to work on our compromises.  I'm dealing with "some clutter won't kill me" and she's dealing with "I don't have to buy all the things and I'll organize more".

SSDD here.