• The tables only seat 4 people
  • I will have around 60 guests
Thoughts? Thanks so much!

Re: Should I do assigned tables?

• Reception dinner will buffet-style
    • The tables only seat 4 people
    • I will have around 60 guests
    Thoughts? Thanks so much!

4 person tables seem a little weird.  Can you put two tables together and put 6 people around them instead?  Is it going to be cool if only two people are sitting alone at a table?  What if you have a family of 5?  I'd probably put 3 tables together and seat 8 people at them and, yes, assign tables.
  • I agree that four at a table is odd. See what you can do to change that as @adk19 suggested. Yes assign tables but not seats. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Assign tables but not seats.
  • If you don't assign tables, you'll need a lot more tables to accommodate groups of 3 or 1 so they can sit with who they want. If say this is even more problematic with tables of 4 than tables or 8-12 because I don't know if as a couple I'd want to sit with just one other couple I didn't know....I'd probably want to stake out my own table and hope people we knew found us. 
  • Yes, assign tables! Also check with your venue to see if they can get you bigger tables. Groups of 4 seem weird. It's much easier to group people into larger numbers (8-12) than it is to put two couples together.

There have been people on the boards who didn't assign tables, but I think they maybe had smaller weddings, more seating than they actually  needed, and often large groups of their guests knew each other. 
  • I recommend assigning tables.   It makes things MUCH easier.

Is there any option on increasing table size?   Tables of four seem very small.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Just out of curiosity, would this thread be better moved to the Reception Ideas folder?
  • edited May 2017
    I think @cosmicjazzie will get more answers to this question on the reception board. Thanks Jen4948

I vote for assigning tables and moving the four tops together to form 6 or 8 top tables. 

• I'm normally fully in the "assign tables!" camp, but I can't imagine trying to do table assignments with only 4 people per table. Not all of my guests were couples, and even if they were, picking 2 couples to sit together would be tough. It's like setting up "blind dates" for couples! 

And what about families of 3, or families of 5? Or what about single guests that might be a bit of a delicate situation...my mom is a widower, of instance, it would be so awkward to sit her with a couple and another single, as if pointing out that she's not a couple. 

• MandyMost said:

I'm normally fully in the "assign tables!" camp, but I can't imagine trying to do table assignments with only 4 people per table. Not all of my guests were couples, and even if they were, picking 2 couples to sit together would be tough. It's like setting up "blind dates" for couples! 

And what about families of 3, or families of 5? Or what about single guests that might be a bit of a delicate situation...my mom is a widower, of instance, it would be so awkward to sit her with a couple and another single, as if pointing out that she's not a couple. 

But I think that's why it is even more important. All those situations will come up on the day, so you should plan in advance how they will be handled. 

• MandyMost said:

I'm normally fully in the "assign tables!" camp, but I can't imagine trying to do table assignments with only 4 people per table. Not all of my guests were couples, and even if they were, picking 2 couples to sit together would be tough. It's like setting up "blind dates" for couples! 

But I think that's why it is even more important. All those situations will come up on the day, so you should plan in advance how they will be handled. 

If your only option is 4-person tables, with only enough space for your guest list, definitely you need to assign. But I think it's just a terrible option overall.

If you're committed to the 4-person tables, I'd try to get at least 20% more than you have guests and then not assign, so people can work out the seating themselves and leave lots of empty seats...but even that I think would not be ideal.

Why can't you push the tables together and have tables of at least 6?
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Tables of four is VERY odd. You can have open seating, but then you need several more tables and chairs than you have guests. With 4 seats to a table, you are going to need A LOT more tables, because as said above, you might get tables of 2 or 3 only.

I would put 2 or more tables together and then do assigned tables. If you can't, then you really need to assign tables to ensure everyone gets a seat.
  • If it's a "cocktail style" reception where there are tables spread throughout multiple rooms and you have extra seating, then I don't think you need to assign seats nor tables.

People will walk around, mingle, and go sit with whomever they want to.  It works out just fine, as long as you have extra seating as PP mentioned.

I've had to suffer through quite a few meals thanks to assigned seating; never had an issue with events like you're planning.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."