Wedding Woes

Work vent thread!

2»

Re: Work vent thread!

• So in my job, to a degree I know how to help clients.

One guy called - he mistook our office for someone else, but we can still help.

Other day he called 3x! After the 2nd time, my boss just said to take a msg since she knew what he was calling for.
    Cool. Got the info, he wanted a call back. I advised we're busy so she may not be able to call back.

He calls an hour later.
    My boss says to tell him she's in a meeting {lies but idc}
    Me: I passed along the information, but as I mentioned she's quite busy today. Currently she's in a meeting
    Him: well could you give me a time line?
    Me: Unfortunately not. I'm not sure how long it could take. I'll advise her you called again.
    Him: Well later I could be out and about. Without a paper and pencil and without a quiet place to sit.
    Me: I'm sorry, I don't have a timeline for you.
    Him: Well .... have a good day *in snarky tone* - *hangs up*

Fuck people!
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    When I'm on the phone with someone (usually an internal person, as we're a remote office), and my coworker overhears my conversation, and interrupts with their own input. 

I can't listen to 2 people at once.

This happens A LOT with this one coworker.  I hate open offices.   (edit: words)

• *Barbie* said:

my job is a lot of herding cats. 

STUCK in BOX

*Barbie*
     Please check out this HappyCats video on Facebook... it's literally herding cats. Too adorable!
    https://www.facebook.com/HappyCatsOnline/videos/1612620028778933/

• I think the new F&B is using constructive termination tactics towards the existing staff.   Even to me.  

For example, there are a few Bev cart girls who do not want/can't work on Sundays.  I can and have for the last 3 years.   He wants to force the girls to work on Sundays by trying to hire another girl.    Umm, WHY NOT JUST GIVE ME THE SHIFT THAT I'VE HAD FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS?    Nope, he wants to force their hands.  I guess to get us/them to quit.

Or that is what I'm thinking.    Why else be upset when long term employees would like to keep the schedules they have had for years?      

I've thought about looking for another job, but this damn FL is still hanging out there.  I want to know what is going on with that first.   In the mean time I hoping I get more hours.  At least I picked up some hikes in the next 2 weeks.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

lyndausvi said:

I think the new F&B is using constructive termination tactics towards the existing staff.   Even to me.  

For example, there are a few Bev cart girls who do not want/can't work on Sundays.  I can and have for the last 3 years.   He wants to force the girls to work on Sundays by trying to hire another girl.    Umm, WHY NOT JUST GIVE ME THE SHIFT THAT I'VE HAD FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS?    Nope, he wants to force their hands.  I guess to get us/them to quit.

Or that is what I'm thinking.    Why else be upset when long term employees would like to keep the schedules they have had for years?      

I've thought about looking for another job, but this damn FL is still hanging out there.  I want to know what is going on with that first.   In the mean time I hoping I get more hours.  At least I picked up some hikes in the next 2 weeks.

Wow!  It's like he's trying to make a problem where there isn't one.  Is it pretty easy to pick up other people's shifts at your all's workplace?  Maybe you and the other two ladies can just all agree to that and then have an understanding amongst yourselves that you will take the Sunday shifts.  And, perhaps if/when convenient for you, they'll pick up one of your shifts in a trade.

Because I could see that being the other problem.  If everyone gets 4 shifts a week.  And they give you one of theirs on the reg, now they're only getting 3 shifts/week.

I'd been wondering what was going on with the FL job your H had interviewed for.  Seems like they've been deciding a long time.  Frustrating!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lyndausvi said:

I think the new F&B is using constructive termination tactics towards the existing staff.   Even to me.  

Wow!  It's like he's trying to make a problem where there isn't one.  Is it pretty easy to pick up other people's shifts at your all's workplace?  Maybe you and the other two ladies can just all agree to that and then have an understanding amongst yourselves that you will take the Sunday shifts.  And, perhaps if/when convenient for you, they'll pick up one of your shifts in a trade.

Because I could see that being the other problem.  If everyone gets 4 shifts a week.  And they give you one of theirs on the reg, now they're only getting 3 shifts/week.

I'd been wondering what was going on with the FL job your H had interviewed for.  Seems like they've been deciding a long time.  Frustrating!

I've picked up the Sunday shift the last 2 weeks.   For some reason he will NOT put me on the schedule.   Nope, he would rather give one of the girls the shift knowing they can't.  Then he has cause that they can't honor her schedule commitments.          it's weird.      

I guess it's a control thing.   Like FU, I'm the manager and I want to make your schedule however I want.  If you can't work, then I will find someone who can.  Even though he actually has someone who can (and has) worked those days.    It's like I said on page 1, he is making changes for the sake of making changes.   Change is good, but not everything needs to be changed either.

FL job - So last I heard they were heading/were in London the same day as the London Bridget attack to met with the owners.   Apparently DH's BF has been calling the head hunter a lot.  DH set a thank you email to everyone the day he flew back (which everyone responded  to very positively) and has just been sitting back waiting to hear.         

Fact is (1) we are super busy here and generally like the job.  No rush on our part.  Our summer is pretty planned. If we did go we would not move until the closer to the end of the summer anyway.

(2) the FL  club is closed right now.  They are not in a rush either.   Saves on payroll not to bring in a chef with nothing to do right now.  (note- DH would be a year round salaried employee, it's just no rush for them to bring in someone when they are closed anyway.)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @lyndausvi, good to hear the update!  That makes a lot of sense and I'm glad to hear he is still in the running.  Always better to turn down a job if it isn't the right fit...than to never be offered it in the first place!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You all know that I've been looking for a new job. I got an email that had a job I was interested in so I applied for it, but it was on Indeed or Careerbuilder or something. I figured, if that's how they're choosing to find employees, I'll play along. UGH...Farmers and Aflac have been blowing up my phone and email now. I just got an email from Aflac saying, "We are emailing you regarding your interest in Aflac." I responded to it saying, "I have no interest in Aflac." It's so frustrating.

• You all know that I've been looking for a new job. I got an email that had a job I was interested in so I applied for it, but it was on Indeed or Careerbuilder or something. I figured, if that's how they're choosing to find employees, I'll play along. UGH...Farmers and Aflac have been blowing up my phone and email now. I just got an email from Aflac saying, "We are emailing you regarding your interest in Aflac." I responded to it saying, "I have no interest in Aflac." It's so frustrating.

I've also found Indeed to be a really sketchy, misleading site for job openings.

Those kind of tactics are especially offensive by any site.  Looking for a job is frustrating and time consuming enough, without having to wade through their b.s. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I had one of those years ago. I went to the interview, but it wasn't even something I would have applied for! It was for insurance sales, etc.
    When interviewer was telling me about the job, I actually stopped him to ask what the position was called. He said the name and I asked about credentials. He gave me some sort of schpeel about how you learn on the job, etc etc. I asked what I needed to know before walking into the job.
    He told me.
    I said "Sorry, I don't know who it was but someone misled both of us. I am not qualified for this job, nor would I have applied for it. Please make sure this doesn't happen again to someone else."
    And left.
  • Work husband #1 was at it again today. He had to ask me how to save a document that he was working on without screwing up the template that he used to create the document. I had to explain the difference between "Save" and "Save As." I'm almost positive that my 13-year-old nephew knows the difference between "Save" and "Save As" in Microsoft Word.
  • I need to vent about my secretary again. She screwed up my student's summer credit hours. This girl is doing an internship and I'm the supervisor. We put the paperwork in months ago and the secretary didn't get her enrolled on time, even though I asked her about it twice before the summer was over. She was enrolled but we got that fixed. Now she's enrolled twice and it's past the drop deadline, so she's getting billed for an extra class. So the students parents called the university and complained (as they should summer tuition is expensive). Now I'm getting emails from our Deans office asking me what's going on. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus but this is ridiculous. She enrolled students in independent studies every semester it's not like this process is new. C'mon.