Wedding Woes

Thursday

2»

Re: Thursday

• *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2017
    @MissKittyDanger - my vote is no on the car seat. If you get one of the larger stroller systems with a carrier for a smaller baby, you only need to buy a converter for the second car (if you have 2 cars, and it's like $25-35). That will take you to 1-2yo. I think we paid less than $400 total on our convertible boosters - one for each car. She was in that from ~8 mo rear facing to present. We have a $25 booster that we use for travel. It's this or something very similar: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=93085406&cp=2255957.2273443.2256187.2256196&parentPage=search

Also, keep in mind, if you're in a car accident, you'll need to replace the carseat - so if your insurance is not covering it, it's a lot to pay out of pocket. (I got rear-ended 2x in about a 2 month span. Luckily I wasn't at fault and insurance covered the carseats, so that was helpful.) 

You may also not want to invest that much into the carseat and feel that you need to keep it for the full 8ish years that is recommended. Technology is always changing and improving - so a few years down the line, you may want to get something newer/safer. 
  • I goofed. The other picture is for a toddler carrier. I actually have this one
    The center panel unzips and is mesh underneath, it can be worn 6 ways, and goes from infant to toddler.
  • My motto for today: 
    "If nobody in the house gets sick or maimed, it's a good day."

Wolverine had an off-and-on stomach bug over the weekend, so I kept her home Monday as a precaution. 

Tuesday was an ordeal at work (although I did get to have lunch with a friend that I hadn't seen in person for 13 or so years, so win. ) I didn't get home until after 7, which is pretty late for me. 

Yesterday, I stopped at Target on the way home and planned to call DK from the parking lot to let him know i wanted help with the bags - saw he left me a VM like 1 minute before, so listen to the first few seconds before calling him back - the dogs got into a tussle (no aggression, so this was likely an accident) and DK heard Wiggles yelp. He was standing there, so yelled at them to cut it out and separated them - Sif ran straight to her bedroom , and DK locked her in. He turned to look at Wiggles, who was shaking his head and spraying everything with blood. She managed to lacerate his ear from the base to the tip - essentially ripping it in half. He had a minor cut on his other ear, too. DK grabbed Wiggles and Wolverine and rushed to the vet, who luckily is a mile from our house and was still open. The kitchen, DK's car, and DK looked like a crime scene. Wolverine was slightly blood spattered, but pretty much unfazed. I dropped the groceries at the house, threw on black workout clothes and rushed over to the vet to see what happened. They hadn't started working on him yet, so the vet tech showed me the damage - ouch. Poor little guy was sitting in her lap with a towel wrapped around his head - he looked like a bloody little Polish grandma. 

Luckily there was nothing life threatening, although he'll probably have a pretty gnarly scar on his ear, assuming that it heals well. Poor little guy was all bandaged and drugged up last night - he didn't want to lay down, so he just sat, wobbled, and whined. He's unhappy about the crate, but it's going to be the only way to keep him calm the next 2-3 weeks. Even at 11, he's still a ball of energy. 

Sif doesn't have a good track record with ears - she got DK's ear as a puppy (complete accident) and he ended up with stitches. Sif 3, Ears 0
    Jess Kluczniks portrait
  • edited June 2017
    @*barbie* I have my male cat shaved a couple times a year and the groomer nicked his ear. It bled like a stuck pig and that was just the tip so I can picture your scene. Sorry about Wiggles' ear and I hope he heals up quickly.
  • @*Barbie* Poor Wiggles! How's he doing today? Remind me to cover my ears around Sif! Aggressive player typically or one-offs? {I'm guessing that's how these accidents happened}
  • @*Barbie*, oh!  Wiggles looks so sad.  I can't blame him with a hurt ear and all that stuff around his head.  I hope he heals quickly.

@CharmedPam, I'm so glad you all enjoyed your trip to Ireland!  And, hey, nothing like planning to the next one ;).  At least Southwest is having their semi-annual amazing sale.  I posted about this yesterday, but I took advantage to get $110 r/t tickets (per person) for NOLA to Chicago.  It gave me the push and savings to finally book that trip.

Not much going on.  I'm happy it's Prudie Day and that I only need to get through the rest of today.  Sure, I do have to go to work tomorrow, but Fridays are my half day.  I have a quick mystery shopping dinner shop after work for a "one price, all the toppings you want" type of pizza place.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @*Barbie*, oh!  Wiggles looks so sad.  I can't blame him with a hurt ear and all that stuff around his head.  I hope he heals quickly.

@CharmedPam, I'm so glad you all enjoyed your trip to Ireland!  And, hey, nothing like planning to the next one ;).  At least Southwest is having their semi-annual amazing sale.  I posted about this yesterday, but I took advantage to get $110 r/t tickets (per person) for NOLA to Chicago.  It gave me the push and savings to finally book that trip.

Not much going on.  I'm happy it's Prudie Day and that I only need to get through the rest of today.  Sure, I do have to go to work tomorrow, but Fridays are my half day.  I have a quick mystery shopping dinner shop after work for a "one price, all the toppings you want" type of pizza place.

You're going to have a blast! Good choice of location :)   I'm still trying to get DH to go to NOLA, he'd love it.  the Tricentennial is next year! But I kinda don't want to go in the crowds. I do get anxiety in crowds....but not all the time, it's weird.  Hit or miss.

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

@*Barbie*, oh!  Wiggles looks so sad.  I can't blame him with a hurt ear and all that stuff around his head.  I hope he heals quickly.

You're going to have a blast! Good choice of location :)   I'm still trying to get DH to go to NOLA, he'd love it.  the Tricentennial is next year! But I kinda don't want to go in the crowds. I do get anxiety in crowds....but not all the time, it's weird.  Hit or miss.

Maybe the next Southwest sale then ;).  Fall or spring are the best times, weather-wise, to go.  Halloween and Halloween weekend are insanely crowded.  In the spring, avoid the main Mardi Gras weekend, French Quarter Fest weekend, and Jazz Fest weekends.  Other than that, it seems like it is always busy, but you usually won't run into the really intimidating crowds like you'll see at big events. 

I'll often recommend the FIRST weekend of Mardi Gras to people who both want that experience but, at the same time, want it a little more mellow.  It's still crowded, but not the utter insanity of the second weekend that leads up to Mardi Gras day.

St. Patrick's Day weekend is fun.  There is a parade that goes through the Uptown area (a couple miles out from the French Quarter).  The float riders throw out cabbage, carrots, and potatoes...plus all the usual beads.  There is a walking parade through the Quarter at night.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Poor Wiggles! Sending healing vibes!

@CharmedPam, welcome back! I hope you took lots of pictures! Yay for the trip to Orlando! 

That was a lot of exclamation points.

I found a new 12-Step meeting that I like. I've been wanting to get to more women's meetings (most of the folks at the LGBTQIA meetings here are gay men), and this was a good one. I also ran into a friend from college who got sober our senior year. When I first started going to meetings, her kids were tiny. Now they're both teenagers. My art journaling group is on hiatus for the summer, so I'll make this a regular meeting. Even when the group starts up again, I'll go to this meeting on the Wednesdays that the group doesn't meet.

Today's been a much better day than the previous days were. I'm feeling very productive and very positive. Maybe it's because I applied for that other job or because I have vacation coming up in less than two weeks.

Tonight is my meditation meeting, and I'm picking up some women from a sober house and taking them there.
  • Work today. Another orientation day. At least it doesn't feel *as* pointless as yesterday. I'm planning on going to the gym tonight, and then tomorrow is work again. I'm pretty excited for the weekend. We're having a GOT marathon with SO's sister and her bf. It's getting me through the week. 

• edited June 2017
    wrong board. Oops hi and bye!