Budget Weddings Forum

Re: Sustainable Style

• I am not sure what "sustainable" means in regards to a wedding.  The article confuses me.  Most people who come to The Knot for advice are on a budget, and are sometimes dealing with difficult family situations.  Sometimes they just want to talk about weddings, and their friends and relatives are already sick of the topic.

Years ago, an established USA financial counselor with a TV/radio audience recommended the Knot boards as a good way to prevent a couple from going out of control when planning their wedding.  This is not new.  We have always discouraged couples from going into ANY debt with their wedding costs.

How many times have we stated, "A wedding means a couple who wants to get married, a license, an officiant, and legal witnesses"?  We also strongly discourage PPDs, which are a completely unnecessary expense, and only serve to flatter the couple.  Budget weddings seem to be the norm, here.

Maybe I just don't speak "Aussie"?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• CMGragain said:

I am not sure what "sustainable" means in regards to a wedding.  The article confuses me.  Most people who come to The Knot for advice are on a budget, and are sometimes dealing with difficult family situations.  Sometimes they just want to talk about weddings, and their friends and relatives are already sick of the topic.

Years ago, an established USA financial counselor with a TV/radio audience recommended the Knot boards as a good way to prevent a couple from going out of control when planning their wedding.  This is not new.  We have always discouraged couples from going into ANY debt with their wedding costs.

How many times have we stated, "A wedding means a couple who wants to get married, a license, an officiant, and legal witnesses"?  We also strongly discourage PPDs, which are a completely unnecessary expense, and only serve to flatter the couple.  Budget weddings seem to be the norm, here.

Maybe I just don't speak "Aussie"?

I don't think sustainable just means not going into debt. It's also about how, as it says in the article, we can not contribute to the problem of overconsumption. Just in the ways we do in our regular lives by recycling, choosing ethical  clothing over other choices, or charitable giving. 
    When you're planning arguably one of the biggest events you'll ever host, it would be great to have more of those choices available i.e. ethical bridal dresses, fair trade gold and diamond for jewellery, etc. 
    I like what she says about "Let's face it, whether you have a wedding budget of 5k or 35k, we are blessed and have enough to share.
"

Feel like that's probably true, and also wanted to share. 
  • Seems like basically she's just created a charity registry?
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Well I can agree that the "dream wedding" is very lavish and full of over-consumption, but that isn't necessarily different from any other party.

I think you are talking more about a lifestyle change- which is something that is hard for many of us to change on the grand scale, which you can currently see with climate change issues. How do we stop driving cars when our cities are designed with urban sprawl and you need the highway to get anywhere? Etc.

If this is something that is important you, you can start by looking directly at the companies you deal with. Regarding jewelry, there are companies that follow ethical and conflict-free practices, or you can also consider a lab-made stone. As for flowers, source out local growers, or nix the flowers in general. Seek out a caterer that uses local products. Find a dress from a company local to you (or at least makes their product in the same country)- it may not have the tag "wedding" associated with it, but I am sure there are options for beautiful dresses either made in country by a large company or made by a local designer that can be found.

• True, travel isn't sustainable ostensibly. But if you offset your carbon mileage, support local tourism operators, choose 'responsible' excursions (e.g. eco-safari vs shooting safari), it's a lot better than many of the alternatives. 

As to, "shouldn't you look for a responsible travel agent or ethical mortgage broker?" I don't think a lot of people do. I honestly don't think it crosses most people's minds when planning a holiday or thinking about housing. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited June 2017

True, travel isn't sustainable ostensibly. But if you offset your carbon mileage, support local tourism operators, choose 'responsible' excursions (e.g. eco-safari vs shooting safari), it's a lot better than many of the alternatives. 

As to, "shouldn't you look for a responsible travel agent or ethical mortgage broker?" I don't think a lot of people do. I honestly don't think it crosses most people's minds when planning a holiday or thinking about housing. 

Um..what?  Travel agents are responsible for what?  If a mortgage broker isn't ethical, he will soon be in prison.  Totally confused by your post.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• CMGragain said:

True, travel isn't sustainable ostensibly. But if you offset your carbon mileage, support local tourism operators, choose 'responsible' excursions (e.g. eco-safari vs shooting safari), it's a lot better than many of the alternatives. 

Um..what?  Travel agents are responsible for what?  If a mortgage broker isn't ethical, he will soon be in prison.  Totally confused by your post.

"Responsible travel" meaning what I outlined before...using local services, not impacting too much on the environment etc. A 'responsible travel agent' is therefore someone who can help facilitate that, rather just just stick you in a chain hotel. 
    As to ethical mortgage brokers, this term refers to brokers who hook you up with community banks, or credit unions, ones who can advise you to go with a bank for instance that doesn't invest in fossil fuels, not just a broker who obeys the law. 

• CMGragain said:

"Responsible travel" meaning what I outlined before...using local services, not impacting too much on the environment etc. A 'responsible travel agent' is therefore someone who can help facilitate that, rather just just stick you in a chain hotel. 
    As to ethical mortgage brokers, this term refers to brokers who hook you up with community banks, or credit unions, ones who can advise you to go with a bank for instance that doesn't invest in fossil fuels, not just a broker who obeys the law. 

I think a lot of this seems more #sustainable than it does actually sustainable, climate-friendly policies. Like, it sounds great and buzzworthy but not actually having the impact one thinks it does. 

And on mortgage brokers, great if you Want to search for an ethical lender/possibly pay more for local/a specific company awesome, but that doesn't mean that mortgage company isn't going to turn around and seek your mortgage as soon as it's closed. One that you might not agree with. 
  • As someone who has lived in some resort areas and made money off of tourists, travel is not sustainable to me.        The increase in tourists has caused stress for the local eco-system.    We have trails around that  have to be shut down due to the increase in number of people.  Others have had to be limited.  Add in trash.  Oh and don't forget all the supplies from the big city needs to be trucked in from 4 hours away every day isn't helping the carbon foot print either.  

Sure you can limit your carbon footprint by staying close to home, but doesn't mean your mere presences isn't causing issues on things you don't think about.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • This just seems like a thinly veiled way of trying to ask for something in the name of "we are different and have a house full of "stuff". 

I don't think it's all that smart to reference celebrities when trying to write an article to the average middle class.    The average person isn't giving wedding guests an engraved piece of marble.    And if we aspire to live in our own homes (as opposed to condos or apartments that are joined together) that's already less "green" for the planet. 

We can be smart about what we opt to do as hosts and as consumers.  But I think trying to turn a wedding into a social platform isn't the time or the place. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited June 2017
    Glasshalfempty said:
    CMGragain said:

Glasshalfempty said:

1.  Chain hotels are individually owned by local people and they employ local people.   There is nothing different about them except that they share a website and standards.  How does it impact the environment if I drive my car to a local travel agent, or if I choose to telephone my reliable on line travel agent, whom I have trusted for the last eight years?
    2.  You have just insulted me.  I own a rather large block of oil stocks. They have been in my family since 1956.  Thank you.  The people in my town make a living from the gas industry.  They are good, hard working people and they need these jobs.  I think your "sustainable" ideas are full of it.  I am done with you.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2014/11/141111-solar-panel-manufacturing-sustainability-ranking/

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• CMGragain said:

Glasshalfempty said:
    CMGragain said:

Glasshalfempty said:

1.  Chain hotels are individually owned by local people and they employ local people.   There is nothing different about them except that they share a website and standards.  How does it impact the environment if I drive my car to a local travel agent, or if I choose to telephone my reliable on line travel agent, whom I have trusted for the last eight years?
    2.  You have just insulted me.  I own a rather large block of oil stocks. They have been in my family since 1956.  Thank you.  The people in my town make a living from the gas industry.  They are good, hard working people and they need these jobs.  I think your "sustainable" ideas are full of it.  I am done with you.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2014/11/141111-solar-panel-manufacturing-sustainability-ranking/

And you tell people on these boards they need a thicker skin? 
    I choose not to invest my money in banks that invest in fossil fuels. How is that insulting to anyone? 

Anyways buzzwords or not some things in life are unavoidable. Clothing, travel (for me anyway as I have to travel for work), etc. I think it's good to just be aware of different choices we could make to lessen our impact. 
  • Do you know how much you have that's made from fossil fuels?   I'm all for sustainability but I think it would be eye opening if you saw what they're used to produce.  
  • edited June 2017
    I'm all for being as sustainable as you possibly can. I'm all for educating people about sustainability in a non-dickish way. But Ms. Press and Ms. Henri are being incredibly obnoxious and holier-than-thou.

Edited to clarify that I meant the author of the article, not OP.

• I'm all for being as sustainable as you possibly can. I'm all for educating people about sustainability in a non-dickish way. But the author and Ms. Henri are being incredibly obnoxious and holier-than-thou.

Sorry how am I being holier than thou? I just thought it was an interesting article. I think it's good to think about choices you make in life. Not saying mine are better than yours, just that they're better for me. It's what I choose to do. Not everyone does make the same choices or think the same way. Same as everything else in life. 

• I'm all for being as sustainable as you possibly can. I'm all for educating people about sustainability in a non-dickish way. But the author and Ms. Henri are being incredibly obnoxious and holier-than-thou.

Sorry how am I being holier than thou? I just thought it was an interesting article. I think it's good to think about choices you make in life. Not saying mine are better than yours, just that they're better for me. It's what I choose to do. Not everyone does make the same choices or think the same way. Same as everything else in life. 

I didn't mean you, I meant the author of the article. My bad.

• banana468 said:

Do you know how much you have that's made from fossil fuels?   I'm all for sustainability but I think it would be eye opening if you saw what they're used to produce.  

Yeah I have some idea. I work in the "social good" space hence I probably think about more than others. Also tend to research many of my purchases generally. 

• banana468 said:

Do you know how much you have that's made from fossil fuels?   I'm all for sustainability but I think it would be eye opening if you saw what they're used to produce.  

Yeah I have some idea. I work in the "social good" space hence I probably think about more than others. Also tend to research many of my purchases generally. 

Now you're starting to sound self-righteous.
  • edited June 2017
    I meant @Glasshalfempty, not you, @banana468.

ETA: I should probably get off the phone and go to bed because I'm offending people I actually agree with and don't want to offend.
  • SP29SP29 member

I meant @Glasshalfempty, not you, @banana468.

ETA: I should probably get off the phone and go to bed because I'm offending people I actually agree with and don't want to offend.

I'm thinking banana's "starting to?" comment was sarcasm, not directly towards you OWK.

• banana468 said:

Guess tone doesn't translate well on the internet. Because I work in the space I probably do think about it more than others. If I worked in pharmaceuticals or the disability sector I'd probably know more about that.
    People usually have some expertise in the areas they work in? I don't even understand how that's self righteous to say that. 
    I'm not going around even saying I'm an expert in the space. Just that I think about it more than others because I have to. At least 8 hours every day for work. 
    Anyway this is not a conversation I need to have here considering its "insulting" people to make perfectly innocuous and sensible statements. 

• banana468 said:

banana468 said:

Starting to?   Give me a break.   I helped prepare my company for an environmental certification by researching the best GMP that were also environmentally friendly and it helped us stand out in the industry.    

If you don't own zip lock bags, clothing with synthetic fibers, buy toothpaste or antihistamines or well...anything in a container or with a label on it then go for it and say that you are not supporting the fossil fuel industry.

But the entire premise of the article is overly preachy and attempts to be way too far reaching while making comparisons that are impossible.    

And frankly, if you want to be more sustainable the ways to do it are by minimizing the extras.  You don't need favors, special paper napkins, plastic utensils / cups / saucers or anything individually printed.    

Thanks for the suggestions! I am doing all of those for my event, including no favours, and no plastic. 
    I know a lot of things are produced with fossil fuels, and there's definitely no avoiding a lot of things. But I like to minimise my use of plastics, synethic fibres where I can. 
    It's similar to being a vegetarian for me. I know friends who are vegan, which is admirable, but everyone's got to draw their own line.