Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Keeping warm for a winter wedding

My FI and I are getting married next March, and chances are it will be pretty chilly in our area.  We are having some photos taken outdoors, and to get to the ceremony I will need to walk outdoors if I don't want him to see me.  I found a dress fairly easy, but I'm having trouble visualizing what type of jacket/shawl/bolero would go best with the dress I chose.  Any suggestions or ideas of where to look?

Re: Keeping warm for a winter wedding

• Options
    Hi, OP, can you share a photo of your dress?
  • Options
    MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

Oh shoot, I tried attaching one, but it must have not stuck.  Lemme try again.

• Options
    That is GORGEOUS! I agree with @STARMOON44 a cropped faux fur jacket would be amazing.
  • Options
    IMO - this is not worth the added expense for such a short time, just get a couple yards of white fleece fabric to wrap around you and call it golden.  You can purchase faux fur wraps from Amazon and the like without much added cost, but the "what are you going to do with it after the wedding?" becomes the consideration.
  • Options

MesmrEwe said:

IMO - this is not worth the added expense for such a short time, just get a couple yards of white fleece fabric to wrap around you and call it golden.  You can purchase faux fur wraps from Amazon and the like without much added cost, but the "what are you going to do with it after the wedding?" becomes the consideration.

If you go to any kind of fancy dress occasions, you'll definitely use it again.

That said, I do like the tartan idea.
  • Options

MRDCle said:

ernursej said:

You could also look for a wrap in a colour that matches your bridal party colours. Any Scottish heritage? A wrap in a family tartan could work too.

Oh my mom would LOVE that. Yes to the Scottish history. My father and brother will be wearing kilts!

OMG that would be amazing then! Plus even if you don't use it as a wrap after (maybe not a lot of occasions call for tartan?), it would be a super cute throw blanket in the house!
  • Options
    Love the idea of a tartan wrap. 

Also, your dress is stunning!
  • Options
    MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

@ahoywedding I'll have her keep her eyes out at the Scottish Games in a couple weeks!

@charlotte989875 thank you! It was the first one I tried on and I was like, umm this is in my budget...OKAY! And took it home that day! Shocking since I'm normally awful at decision making, ha.

• Options

Couple yards of white fleece fabric... LMAO. ohhh I want to see that

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I got married in January and bought a heavier white trench coat. It's a soft material with lots of button detail and large neck collar, so it looked nice for the wedding, but it's something that can be worn anywhere, so I have kept it and do wear it out as my fancy warm coat.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ditto @STARMOON44 on the cropped faux fur.  I was married in NYC in February and bought myself a white fur stole and my BMs black ones (not their BM gift before anyone jumps in  :p) . All three ladies wear them to this day for formal winter events.  
    I put mine on for one photo but I didn't end up needing it- it was in the high 20s but day of I had so much energy and buzz that I wasn't even cold the few times we were outside.  Smart to be prepared though! And what a gorgeous dress!