Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Should I Wait For The Pro Pics?

I have started on Thank You cards, and I wanted to include a photo from the wedding for a few people that sent gifts but didn't attend (like H's grandparents and mine, and other elderly family whom I know would actually want a picture of the day).  I don't know how long it will take for our professional photos to come back.  I sent my photographer (a friend of ours) a message asking if she could just quickly clean up a photo of us from the morning, but I haven't heard back from her yet (not unusual, plus I know she's out of town).

H's brother took a really lovely photo of us with his phone (it's the first photo on my recap post).  I've looked at it close up on my computer and it seems fairly good quality.  We would just be printing them as 4x6 so it doesn't have to be amazing anyway.  Do you think it would be ok to just print those to send for now and then maybe do prints from the photographer for those who want something larger?  My grandparents will probably want a nice 8x10 for example.  Should I just write all the cards and then give the photographer a week or two to get the edited photo to me?  
Will people even notice or care?

I suspect I am over-thinking this, LOL

Re: Should I Wait For The Pro Pics?

• MobKaz said:

Over-thinking.  I would be happy to receive any photo of a wedding I missed.  I also think it's important to get those TY cards out as soon as possible.  I'm sure the picture from the phone is great. 

Hands down, my favorite photo from DD's wedding was taken by SIL's uncle on his phone.

Thank you!

To the bolded: Quite a lot of H's extended family didn't attend.  Most didn't send a gift/card either (totally fine).  Would it still be ok to send a photo to them with a little note saying they were missed?  Or a little announcement type thing?  I just don't want to seem AWish?  My close cousin was married in Vegas and we couldn't go, but I would have loved a photo.  Maybe I'm weird that way.

• MobKaz said:

Over-thinking.  I would be happy to receive any photo of a wedding I missed.  I also think it's important to get those TY cards out as soon as possible.  I'm sure the picture from the phone is great. 

Hands down, my favorite photo from DD's wedding was taken by SIL's uncle on his phone.

Thank you!

To the bolded: Quite a lot of H's extended family didn't attend.  Most didn't send a gift/card either (totally fine).  Would it still be ok to send a photo to them with a little note saying they were missed?  Or a little announcement type thing?  I just don't want to seem AWish?  My close cousin was married in Vegas and we couldn't go, but I would have loved a photo.  Maybe I'm weird that way.

I would not send one to family that didn't attend because it might look like you are looking for a gift. If you do holiday cards, you could do a photo card including the pro pics (if you bought rights to them). I agree with MobKaz about not waiting to get the pro pics. It could be months - I know it was with DD's photographer. I was waiting for them to do Christmas cards and ended up using one that a guest took - it is still one of my favorite pictures.

• MobKaz said:

Thank you!

I would not send one to family that didn't attend because it might look like you are looking for a gift. If you do holiday cards, you could do a photo card including the pro pics (if you bought rights to them). I agree with MobKaz about not waiting to get the pro pics. It could be months - I know it was with DD's photographer. I was waiting for them to do Christmas cards and ended up using one that a guest took - it is still one of my favorite pictures.

Yeah that's what I was worried about, so I won't.  I can let MIL know that if she wants copies of the photo to give to whomever in her family, that I can send her some (I'm just ordering a couple dozen, since that makes them cheaper).  I know at least a couple of her sisters will probably ask.

Christmas seems forever away, so I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks!
  • I also hate waiting for Thank yous and then find out that it's because a couple was waiting for their pro pics so include. I know this is a personal preference but it seems a little AW to me and when it takes months to get a thank you I'm irked. I know that's not exactly what you're asking here, but I'd just go with what you have if you really want to include a photo or forgo photos all together. 

• I also hate waiting for Thank yous and then find out that it's because a couple was waiting for their pro pics so include. I know this is a personal preference but it seems a little AW to me and when it takes months to get a thank you I'm irked. I know that's not exactly what you're asking here, but I'd just go with what you have if you really want to include a photo or forgo photos all together. 

Thank you :smile: I went ahead and just ordered some.  I'm not sending a photo in every thank you, just for some of the relatives that I know will want them.  I am not going to bother for our friends that were there, for example, as they are already FBing/Instagraming lots of their own great pics.  People who pester me for copies of my kids school photos are getting a wedding pic, LOL, since I know they will want and appreciate them.

I definitely want to get my Thank You's out ASAP.  The fact that we are moving in August, and I have like 100 return address stickers with a soon-to-be-obsolete address on them is helping to motivate me.  I really want to use them all up!