Chit Chat

Dinner ideas for a toddler

2»

Re: Dinner ideas for a toddler

• We went for sushi a few weeks ago and the place puts wasabi cucumbers on the table. I hate them, but Mouse loves them. He ate the entire plate. When we go for hibachi, he eats the clear soup, salad with ginger dressing (he loves it!), rice, vegetables, shrimp, basically anything I get, he eats. I love that he's an adventurous eater. I just need to learn to cook better at home.
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  We are also in the process of moving this week, so I might have to wait on most of them since the kitchen is in shambles!

I love the idea of more dips. . . . I think he would enjoy dipping things in guacamole or hummus.  I'll try that ASAP.

I also need to remember that he's little and doesn't need as much food as a full grown adult!  Not concerned about his health at all, he's awesome. . . . I just don't want him to be in too much of a food rut!

Also, what's a courgette? @LondonLisa

• We went for sushi a few weeks ago and the place puts wasabi cucumbers on the table. I hate them, but Mouse loves them. He ate the entire plate. When we go for hibachi, he eats the clear soup, salad with ginger dressing (he loves it!), rice, vegetables, shrimp, basically anything I get, he eats. I love that he's an adventurous eater. I just need to learn to cook better at home.

brave kid. I'm not a wasabi fan either
  • @DrillSergeantCat, now I'm curious about wasabi cucumbers!  I like the taste of wasabi, but only in tiny amounts.  I love cucumbers.  Mouse does sound like such a good and adventurous eater!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• kaos16 said:

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  We are also in the process of moving this week, so I might have to wait on most of them since the kitchen is in shambles!

I love the idea of more dips. . . . I think he would enjoy dipping things in guacamole or hummus.  I'll try that ASAP.

I also need to remember that he's little and doesn't need as much food as a full grown adult!  Not concerned about his health at all, he's awesome. . . . I just don't want him to be in too much of a food rut!

Also, what's a courgette? @LondonLisa

I think you call it a Zucchini
  • These are all random..whether we go out or make stuff at home....pasta wheels with broccoli and olive oil, Avocado Rolls, stir fried soba noodles, dinosaur chicken nuggets, mini cheeseburger sliders, guacamole, sauteed asparagus, applesauce, sweet potato french fries and any kind of dessert you can think of...
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

These are all random..whether we go out or make stuff at home....pasta wheels with broccoli and olive oil, Avocado Rolls, stir fried soba noodles, dinosaur chicken nuggets, mini cheeseburger sliders, guacamole, sauteed asparagus, applesauce, sweet potato french fries and any kind of dessert you can think of...

What's an avocado roll??
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

kaos16 said:

These are all random..whether we go out or make stuff at home....pasta wheels with broccoli and olive oil, Avocado Rolls, stir fried soba noodles, dinosaur chicken nuggets, mini cheeseburger sliders, guacamole, sauteed asparagus, applesauce, sweet potato french fries and any kind of dessert you can think of...

What's an avocado roll??

It's a type of sushi.  Fish-free, just avocado and rice wrapped in nori (I think that's what the seaweed-y wrap is called?).

@charlotte989875 carrot chips are carrots that are crinkled and sliced to the approx size of potato chip. 
  • TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

CMGragain said:

Macaroni and cheese with green food coloring.  Scrambles eggs and ham with green food coloring. (DH's idea.  After he did it, the kids insisted on the food coloring!)  Tuna fish and spaghetti.  (Yes.)  Those little packages of chicken flavored noodles with leftover chicken chopped up and stirred in.  Fish sticks.  Hot dogs.  Tuna fish casserole:

Mom's special tuna casserole

2 cups egg noodles, boiled
    1 can tuna
    1 small can peas
    3 hardboiled eggs, sliced
    I can cream of chicken soup, prepared
    Mix above ingredients in 8 x 11 pyrex casserole dish, top with cheese (kids like Velveeta) and Worcestershire sauce.  Bake 30 minutes at 350.

I had an ex-boyfriend who absolutely LOVED this stuff!  I had to give his mother the recipe.  DH won't touch it!

My kid wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. 

My kid has always eaten whatever we ate just in smaller bites. 

Isn't your FI vegan, @TrixieJess? (I'm vegetarian and an aspiring vegan, BTW.)

Yes, but I make some food for DS that has meat in it. Mainly roast beef, hamburgers (homemade), meatloaf, lasagna, and pasta bolonese. Sometimes he'll eat a little chicken. 

His favourite vegan dish is vegan paella. He also loves anything with quinoa. 

ETA: FI cooks out of the Lusty Vegan and the Thug Kitchen cookbooks the most. Supplementing with Minimalist Baker and Oh She Glows recipes. 

• Heffalump said:

We mostly feed the kids whatever we're eating, with occasional modifications.  (If they want the chicken w/o sauce, I'll plate theirs first, then add the sauce for DH's and mine; last night I did curried cauliflower which DH and I love but they don't, so they had carrot chips instead.)  I would think it's trickier if you're eating a lot later, but that's similar to our weekend lunch situation, so I'll comment on that:

Fruit is a big one: whatever is in season, sliced apples, grapes, you name it
    Veggies: baby carrots, carrot chips, corn, edamame, avocado are their favorites, but YMMV
    Any kind of pasta: buttered noodles, mac and cheese, marinara, pasta salad...
    Some kind of dairy: string cheese, cheese cut into shapes with cookie cutters, yogurt, whatever

Do you have Trader Joe's nearby?  We get so much kid food there.  The kids love their fish nuggets and shrimp nuggets, and their yogurt.  (I'm pretty sure their TJ's yogurt tubes are made by Stonyfield Farm, they're identical.)  IMO, their mini pizzas are decent.  And just whatever random stuff your kid likes: DS raves about their blueberry scones to anyone who will listen, DD prefers their bagels.  Hummus, reduced fat guac, all kinds of good dipping stuff.  Lots of cheese.     

What are carrot chips? 

Image result for carrot chips
  • @OurWildKingdom @CMGragain True, my bad.

Now I want sushi.
  • we just gave our daughter whatever we were eating - she's 6.5 and eats basically anything, now. The rule was she had to have at least 3 bites of new things. if she wanted more, she could have more, if she didn't that was fine, at least she tried it and gave it a chance. Occasionally she'd be a pain in the ass, but in that case we were just firm/consistent. (Those instances were along the lines of being a pain for the sake of being a pain - she would just randomly decide that she didn't want to eat something that she would eat any other time.)

The only time she gets a "special meal" are nights that we eat later and she gets something simple like PB&J or an omelette.  

• A great meal is pastina!! I ate this all the time as a kid. Plus there is an egg in it and get them uses to eating eggs.
    http://www.italianbellavita.com/2010/11/pastina-chicken-soup-italian-childhood/ 
    I would agree just let him have what you are having little bits. This dish I shared its super quick and easy to make. I was a picky eater and I love this dish.