Attire & Accessories Forum

Salon Attire

Rather than having a hair and makeup team come to my hotel while we get ready, we are going to the salon, since it's right next door. My photographer will be coming and taking pictures there, so I want us to all be wearing something similar, like how some brides get the satin robes. I'm just wondering if anyone has some ideas on what we can wear at the salon? Other people may be in the salon so I feel like a robe is a little inappropriate and any "button ups" I'm finding look a little stiff and weird. Any ideas are appreciated!

Re: Salon Attire

• Just let people wear what they are comfortable wearing. Pictures will be fine. DD's girls all wore different stuff - can't even remember exactly. I agree button ups are the best way to go so that hair doesn't get messed up when changing into wedding clothing.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Everyone should just choose whatever they'd like to wear while getting ready.  Even in someone's home I find the matching robes weird- "hi, we're officially photo props!"- but a salon is a public place.

• You won't be hanging these pictures on the wall. Save yourself some trouble and let everyone figure out their own attire.
  • Please just let everyone wear what they feel like. Dictating an outfit for just an hour of time, for a picture that likely no one will ever see, is pretty silly. And yeah, no robes at the salon. 
  • So yeah, the pictures on Pinterest of everyone matching while getting ready are cute, but in real life it's not really as fun. Especially if you're going to a salon, not everyone is going to be comfortable wearing one of those robes (which always seem very short!). If all of your BMs want to coordinate, maybe you guys could pick a couple colors everyone likes or something, but it's not really a thing you can require. Depending on when your wedding is, I've also had success wearing a wider neck tank top to get hair done, so then I can pull it over my head or down to the floor to get it off.
  • I encouraged my ladies to wear something with a large neck or button up, so they could change without messing their hair up, and reminded them we were doing airbrush (so maybe don't wear your favorite white top JIC). Then, I took that money that would have been spent on something like that and spent it on food and drinks to eat while getting ready- not a single tummy growled that day and I'm sure they all appreciated it that much more. 
  • thanks guys. no need to be so aggressive about it. now i know why people say not to post anything on here. you guys are so rude. 
  • No need for matching outfits. It's just one more unnecessary thing, you know?

I would just tell your friends that the photographer is going to be there so that if they care about being photographed, they won't come totally scrubbed out. 

And if you think your friends have never had their hair professionally done, you may suggest that they wear a zip up hoodie or button down. 
    *********************************************************************************

• thanks guys. no need to be so aggressive about it. now i know why people say not to post anything on here. you guys are so rude. 

Nobody was rude. You asked for ideas and you received them. You were given real life examples of what people have done that worked well.
  • Yikes. PPs were actually pretty nice and helpful in their replies to you. If that's your definition of "aggressive" I think perhaps the interwebs are not for you. 
  • ehh seemed a little judgey to me. 

• ehh seemed a little judgey to me. 

Perhaps you came here with preconceived notions and read with a tone not intended. 

FWIW, I got ready in a zip up hoodie. 
  • missJeanLouise said:

ehh seemed a little judgey to me. 

Perhaps you came here with preconceived notions and read with a tone not intended. 

I appreciate your feedback. I don't think I came in with preconceived notions. However, I did ask for opinions on alternatives to robes and instead it seemed like I was judged for even thinking of doing that. I didn't ask for opinions on what anyone thought of the robes, I asked for other possible options
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2017

missJeanLouise said:

ehh seemed a little judgey to me. 

I appreciate your feedback. I don't think I came in with preconceived notions. However, I did ask for opinions on alternatives to robes and instead it seemed like I was judged for even thinking of doing that. I didn't ask for opinions on what anyone thought of the robes, I asked for other possible options

Sorry to break an illusion (not) but it's not up to you how people should respond to your posts -- regardless of what you asked.

Oh yes -- the mere act of posting here constitutes "asking for our opinions" about anything and everything in your posts.  To suggest otherwise is naive about how the Internet and this forum specifically works. And accusing us of being "judgey" or "rude" (no one was) simply because you didn't like what someone had to say will not score you amy points.

• banana468 said:

Please don't mandate anything.

BUT, if your BMs haven't had professional hair and makeup, you can say, "The salon recommends wearing a shirt that can be unzipped / unbuttoned."   

I think it's really easy to forget that wearing comfy schlumpadinka clothing is great but a T shirt can suck if you can't get it over your head.   

Understood. I was going to buy whatever it was, just wanted suggestions on what it could be so that we were all kind of matching. I would never require them to wear something AND make them purchase it, aside from their BM dress, of course.
  • I don't understand how the vast majority of people are OK with requiring matching bridesmaids but are so vehemently against matching attire for anything else. (Personally, I had neither, because I believe clothing is how people can express their individuality). 

What time of year is the wedding? If it's fall or winter I'd buy everyone a cute hoodie of flannel...something that's not personalized or anything, so they can wear it whenever they want after the wedding. If it's Spring or Summer I'd look for an oversized white button-down in a thin, breathable material. Since people can be sensitive about sizing, I'd aim for something that would look good oversized on everyone, and make sure to buy a size up at least for everyone. There's nothing more embarrassing than being mandated to wear something that doesn't fit.

I'd give these out at the rehearsal dinner and suggest that they wear them the next day for getting ready, but not demand it. 

Image result for bridesmaids in flannel shirts

Image result for bridesmaids in hoodies

(a couple of these seem personalized--don't do that or they'll never wear them again!)
  • Thank you, @MandyMost. That is the type of answer I was looking for. I appreciate it. I was going to give to them at rehearsal dinner, but was trying to figure out the best option. The bleached button ups are cute and I have them favorited on Etsy, so that's definitely an option. Appreciate it!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Thank you, @MandyMost. That is the type of answer I was looking for. I appreciate it. I was going to give to them at rehearsal dinner, but was trying to figure out the best option. The bleached button ups are cute and I have them favorited on Etsy, so that's definitely an option. Appreciate it!

@MandyMost said, "I'd give these out at the rehearsal dinner and suggest that they wear them the next day for getting ready, but not demand it."

I never, and I mean NEVER, wear anything next to my skin without laundering it first.  Even if I am local, the last thing I would want to do, or have time to do, the night before a wedding is start a load of laundry.  Depending on how late your rehearsal goes, and how early a start in the morning is expected, laundry could actually be impossible.
  • I give up lol. Thanks for everyone who helped out with suggestions!