Just Engaged and Proposals

Is it too late for my engagement party?

Hey, so we got engaged middle of May this year. The wedding is October 20, 2018. I am now trying to plan the engagement party. I found a place I really really want to have it. It is a rooftop bar. The original dates I was looking at was August or September, but the more I thought about it it will be soooo hot at that time especially since we have no cover or shade. The next date available is October 21st. It will be cooler then, but I'm worried that it is too far from the engagement. I know I could just change venues, but I would hate to have to do that. So, is October 21st too long after the engagement to have an engagement party???

Answers

• Hey, so we got engaged middle of May this year. The wedding is October 20, 2018. I am now trying to plan the engagement party. I found a place I really really want to have it. It is a rooftop bar. The original dates I was looking at was August or September, but the more I thought about it it will be soooo hot at that time especially since we have no cover or shade. The next date available is October 21st. It will be cooler then, but I'm worried that it is too far from the engagement. I know I could just change venues, but I would hate to have to do that. So, is October 21st too long after the engagement to have an engagement party???

Unfortunately, you can't host your own engagement party. If someone offers, you can accept and then you should be able to provide a guest list within the number that they tell you they can host. Everyone invited to the party must be invited to the wedding.

It might be better to just have a party in October to celebrate "Fall". You get to have your cool rooftop bar and the right time of year for the weather. Win-win in my books. You can always host a get together with friends and family!

• edited June 2017
    Is 5 months really too long especially with a longer engagement?
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    Why do you need an engagement party?  Many couples don't have them.  I didn't.  My daughter didn't.  My sister-in-law didn't.
    If your parents want to host an engagements party for your families to meet, then that is up to them, but after five months, what would be the point?  Everyone already knows that you are engaged.
    Why is an engagement party important to you?  Why not just throw a party for your friends without the "engagement" label?  You cannot host a party that is given in honor of YOU.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • As PPs have said, five months is too late for an engagement party (it's based on when you get engaged not how long you are engaged for). It's in poor taste to throw your own engagement party anyway so it's a moot point.

But there are many other reasons to host a get-together at the rooftop bar! You can have a "just because" party on Oct 21, 2017, or start thinking ahead to special events in 2018 (eg, your FI's birthday party, your dad's retirement party, your friend's moving-away party, etc). Alternatively, just keep this venue in mind for an anniversary party a few years down the road.
  • I am still wondering why it is so important to the OP to have an engagement party.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • SP29SP29 member
    Agreed, nothing wrong with having an engagement party.

I do think 5 months out is too far. The purpose is to celebrate your engagement, perhaps have family members meet if they haven't. But at 5 months out, everyone who would be invited already knows you're engaged and has probably congratulated you already.

You can always have a party for no reason if the Oct date works well for you, and I am sure people will ask you about your engagement/wedding still.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited June 2017

CMGragain said:

I am still wondering why it is so important to the OP to have an engagement party.

Check what I said.  There is nothing wrong with having an engagement party when someone offers to give you one, especially for the families to meet.  The OP wants one FIVE MONTHS after she is engaged.  Why?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2017
    We didn't have an engagement party.  My sister had a dinner to meet the parents and that was lovely.  I do agree that 5 months is a little 'look at us!'  Sorry