Destination Weddings Discussions

Wedding gift

I recently got the idea to make a compilation video of my fiance's friends and family (also one from me) saying why they love him, their favorite memories and marriage advice for his wedding gift. One of his friends came up and told me that he didnt think it was a good idea because it would be a gift, technically, from all of the people in the videos and not from me. Have any of you girls done this as a wedding gift and did your husband like it?

Re: Wedding gift

• I haven't done this, but I can see people being uncomfortable being asked to participate.

• I recently got the idea to make a compilation video of my fiance's friends and family (also one from me) saying why they love him, their favorite memories and marriage advice for his wedding gift. One of his friends came up and told me that he didnt think it was a good idea because it would be a gift, technically, from all of the people in the videos and not from me. Have any of you girls done this as a wedding gift and did your husband like it?

This is a big "know your partner thing" in my book. My H would not love something like this and many of his friends and family would probably not feel good about it because they also would know it's so not his thing. 

That said, what he likes/doesn't like definitely isn't universal. Think about your FI and what he would be comfortable with. For the right person this might be an incredibly kind and thoughtful gift, but for others, especially private people or people that don't share feelings/emotions/sentiments frequently this might actually make them uncomfortable. You know your FI better than anyone here; does he like public displays of affection and/or big productions of feelings/events? 

If his friends are balking at the idea though that may be something to consider. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Agreed- it's a know your crowd thing.

I kind of get what your friend is saying- it is a gift from everyone, as they are contributing to it, even though you are the one putting it together. Which is fine- if your husband would like that sort of gift and friends/family are comfortable participating.

My DH probably wouldn't hate it, but he also wouldn't be over the moon with it. Myself, I would be uncomfortable with it, but I would participate in the video if it was a very good friend.