Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

First Dance Song

So I finally spent a little time and figured out the ceremony music.  The last thing I really feel like we need is our first dance. I've found several songs that I like, but they've all been vetoed by my fiance.  He is also really wanting to do a first dance.

I've now told him he's got to come to the table with some since I'm done looking and getting vetoed without helpful input - ha!  But since he works on a timeline I don't love - I wonder if you guys would be happy to share your first dance just to give me a few more ideas to check out?

Re: First Dance Song

• We used Vanilla Twilight by Owl City. It's a sentimental/meaningful song for us, so that's why we picked it. 

Are there any any songs that hold any special meaning for you as a couple?  Does he have any favourite musicians?  You could try selecting a song or two from a band he already likes, that may reduce the chances of being vetoed. 

• We used Vanilla Twilight by Owl City. It's a sentimental/meaningful song for us, so that's why we picked it. 

Are there any any songs that hold any special meaning for you as a couple?  Does he have any favourite musicians?  You could try selecting a song or two from a band he already likes, that may reduce the chances of being vetoed. 

I like the way you think - and I have thought that way too.  We had a few ideas early on when we firs got engaged of artists but struggled to find something we connected with.  I'll suggest that to him for his search start though.  
  • If there aren't any obvious choices try not to put too much weight on the song itself. My advice is don't pick anything super long LOL. I felt *so* uncomfortable just dancing with everyone watching us. I wish I had instructed the DJ to just fade it out after the second chorus. Not everyone is like me, but those 4 minutes felt like YEARS and I would have probably skipped it entirely if I had it to do over. 

First dances are awesome if you are both into it and won't feel weird :smile: I hope you guys find a song you both feel good about!

• If there aren't any obvious choices try not to put too much weight on the song itself. My advice is don't pick anything super long LOL. I felt *so* uncomfortable just dancing with everyone watching us. I wish I had instructed the DJ to just fade it out after the second chorus. Not everyone is like me, but those 4 minutes felt like YEARS and I would have probably skipped it entirely if I had it to do over. 

First dances are awesome if you are both into it and won't feel weird :smile: I hope you guys find a song you both feel good about!

I needed that... I'll take the pressure off and if all else fails tell the DJ to make it last 2-3 minutes tops.

So much agree with this. We used With Me by Sum 41 and had it faded out about halfway through the song, after maybe 1:30-2 minutes. We also struggled to pick a first dance song- we first connected over similar music tastes, and really wanted a song that was "our style" but a lot of the songs we first thought of weren't "slow danceable" or the lyrics weren't really appropriate. I agree with picking either a song or a song by a band that means something to you as a couple, or at least a song/band you both like. 
  • We danced to "Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison.

Ditto suggesting any meaningful songs for you two and making suggestions from bands/genres that he likes. Husband and I have similar taste in music so it wasn't that hard, but that's not the case for all couples!
  • We danced to "Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison.

Ditto suggesting any meaningful songs for you two and making suggestions from bands/genres that he likes. Husband and I have similar taste in music so it wasn't that hard, but that's not the case for all couples!
    I wanted "Someone Like You" by Van Morrison but H vetoed it (too "mushy") so we used "In My Life" by the Beatles (less mushy & shorter!). 
  • So if anyone is even remotely interested... he stayed home sick from work yesterday and when I got home he was all proud and said he "did homework" and found a song he liked.  When he played it he told me I had to listen to the lyrics because that he felt like it sounded like us (although admittedly not 100% flattering through the whole song... hahaha).  It's an acoustic version of Say you won't let go by James Arthur (had to look it up to see).  It was actually really sweet because I could see the thought he did put into choosing a song that he liked and thought I would like.

I think that will be it because it does fit us very well and it's nice.  I'll definitely have to cut it short - so how short did you guys think you should have cut songs?

Also, the version he found that he likes is on YouTube... I can't find the acoustic version to purchase and it's a little slower and calmer than the radio version.  Any tips on finding something like that?  I have a friend who can make a file off of YouTube but I know quality suffers so I would rather buy it somewhere if I can.
  • So if anyone is even remotely interested... he stayed home sick from work yesterday and when I got home he was all proud and said he "did homework" and found a song he liked.  When he played it he told me I had to listen to the lyrics because that he felt like it sounded like us (although admittedly not 100% flattering through the whole song... hahaha).  It's an acoustic version of Say you won't let go by James Arthur (had to look it up to see).  It was actually really sweet because I could see the thought he did put into choosing a song that he liked and thought I would like.

I think that will be it because it does fit us very well and it's nice.  I'll definitely have to cut it short - so how short did you guys think you should have cut songs?

Also, the version he found that he likes is on YouTube... I can't find the acoustic version to purchase and it's a little slower and calmer than the radio version.  Any tips on finding something like that?  I have a friend who can make a file off of YouTube but I know quality suffers so I would rather buy it somewhere if I can.
    I think 45 seconds is the sweet spot. Anything longer than a minute feels too long to me. However, I do like it when the couple plays the whole song but encourages everyone to join them after the first minute.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • I was vetoed by a lot of songs that I liked or felt like they had 'meaning' to us and let him choose. I absolutely adore his choice!!

"I'll Follow You" by Shinedown - one of their slower songs and never would have even thought of it, but it's absolutely perfect especially what we'd been through together. He literally followed me through the storm.