Wedding Woes

Wednesday

Every morning between 6 and 6:30 my youngest comes in and asks how long until we can go downstairs.  I usually stall 15 minutes.  This morning I vaguely heard someone else get up and he left.  I woke up again at 8! 

Nothing much today- library, picnic, pool, gymnastics.  I think we're going to send my parents on a trip for their anniversary.  While looking at Costco travel I fell down the Disney rabbit hole.  We know we want to go once and make it memorable.  We actually have enough saved for air, hotel, and park passes right now.  Lord help me we are actually starting to plan this trip.  I don't even know where to start.

Re: Wednesday

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2017
    whoo hoo for sleeping in, @6fsn!  Disney will be a blast!

we're getting bad thunderstorms rolling in, which is making my web surfing at work really slow. I guess work sites too - but right now, all I'm aware of is how slow the knot is.

I'm the only one at work too. This is a very rare occurrence.  Everyone is either traveling for work, on vaca or "working from home" (she ain't working from home).  I was having a Miranda Lambert pandora party until I realized it could also be helping slow down the internet speed  So now I am knotting/shopping in silence. boo.

• @6fsn  somebody needed sleep ;) Disney is fun! Are you staying on the resort or outside of it? We stayed at a Howard Johnson's in Kissimme {as an 11yr old, this was hilarious to say - still amusing} Nearby there was a lot of other things we could walk to :)

Catch up day at work. That's cool.
    Also starting my list for xmas gifts because I'm debating on doing DIY stuff for some people.
    My mum I'm gonna make a calendar. Other people idk yet, but I know before end of summer my mum and I will have to swing by farmers market for some jams and honey for a few people. {and ourselves .... lemon honey is amazing!}

Last night I did most of the cleaning in the office except one small area. More so because I'm not sure what to really do with it.
    M is going to a soccer game tonight, and I may start tidying the garage-ish. I wanna start gluing chairs to see if they're worth saving or if we should look into new chairs. M's buddy - who is likely coming this weekend to build a work bench with M - even said he'd be surprised if the glue sticks. They're old chairs that may have dried out too much :(

This weekend we're hitting the beach. Apparently it'll be great weather, so I'm happy :)
  • @CharmedPam  We've been getting rain and off-and-on storms all week :( Apparently we're stuck in the jet stream loop

@mrsconn23  what's red letter day?

@charlotte989875  whooo! Good luck to Mr Charlotte ;)
  • mrsconn23 said:

LOL!  It's a good or special day.  

It's an old idiom dating from the 1400's-ish that refers to feast days and other holy holidays on the church's calendar in red.  ;) 
    Ahhh  :) never heard of it lol
  • Last night was good.  Got home and H had the dishwasher going - Yahoo!  We made dinner together.  Afterwards, we went shopping at Target and BJs, but stayed to a very limited budget!  While H fed DD her cereal, I worked on the kitchen table a bit. 

We are also having our annual house fly problem.  It happens every summer and have no idea where they are coming from. Its grody.  I killed at least a dozen last night and another 6 this morning.  Hopefully that is the end of them. Last year I ended up making this super wacko concoction I found on the google.

Today is another food truck at work!  I have just enough money to get bacon cheddar ranch fries!  Hopefully they are enough for a lunch!  Then its yoga after work.

Maybe TMI for the non-mom crowd, but I have decided to start slowing down my pumping.  I have some feels about it.  I just don't feel like lugging my pump every day anymore to work among other things, so I'm going to go down to twice per day.  DD drinks mostly formula since I've never made enough for her, but I was really hoping to do 6 months for her and I just don't think I can.  My one boob makes a fraction of milk compared to the other one, so its really just the one producing.  I typically only have enough for 1 bottle a day.  But I still feel like I'm letting DD down, even though she is healthy and growing drinking mostly formula.  So any other stories to commiserate will be accepted!

• edited July 2017
    @OliveOilsMom  uhm wanna send your food trucks to me? :)

edit: not a mom, but I hate hearing when mothers make choices and they feel they're letting down the child :(
    Please don't feel this way! <3
  • I left work early Monday because I had (have) a swollen lymph node in my neck. I get out to my car and click...won't start. The guys gave me a jump and I went to Walmart for a new battery before going to urgent care. They tested me for strep A and it was negative so I was told to wait three days and if it's not better to start the antibiotics they prescribed. By the time I got home, my temp had risen to 101.6, my head was pounding, and I couldn't swallow. I started the antibiotics early. I stayed home in bed yesterday with the exception of my interview. I'm back at work today, but I'm not sure for how long. It still feels like I'm swallowing razor blades.

I need to get well because Garth is Saturday!
  • @DrillSergeantCat  have you had your tonsils taken out? You're seeming to get a lot of swollen lymph nodes lately and I'm wondering if it could be related :\
    Feel better!!
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2017

Maybe TMI for the non-mom crowd, but I have decided to start slowing down my pumping.  I have some feels about it.  I just don't feel like lugging my pump every day anymore to work among other things, so I'm going to go down to twice per day.  DD drinks mostly formula since I've never made enough for her, but I was really hoping to do 6 months for her and I just don't think I can.  My one boob makes a fraction of milk compared to the other one, so its really just the one producing.  I typically only have enough for 1 bottle a day.  But I still feel like I'm letting DD down, even though she is healthy and growing drinking mostly formula.  So any other stories to commiserate will be accepted!

I stopped pumping before I thought I would because when DefConn was 3 months old,  I started working from home, my grandma died,  DH took a trip and left me and the kids home alone, and I took the kids on a solo trip to TX for my other grandma's 80th bday.  It was too much stress and transition.  Something had to go.  I also didn't make enough and had to supplement from day 1.  I pumped exclusively from week 2 or so on because DefConn's latch was so strong that I cried every time I tried to nurse him and I had too much anxiety about leaving the house to go to a group.  Also, we got practically free formula since DH worked for Nestle at the time and they sent us a book of $25 checks.  

I feel ya.  She'll be fine, I promise.  And 1 year, 2 years, 6 years, or 20 years from now, it truly won't matter. 
  • @CharmedPam, I'm having trouble with my Internet at work today also.  TK is super slow, but so are other sites.  However, it is bright and sunny outside, so rain/thunderstorms is no excuse for us.

@charlotte989875, that would be seriously awesome if you and your H got new jobs at around the same time.  I really hope a job offer for him is on the horizon.  Maybe it is different in academia, but the kind of actions you are describing aren't that unusual in the private sector.  Even though, from their side, they are in the middle of counteroffers.  It sounds like they are just making moves to adjust for your soon-to-be vacancy.

I've gotten the word at jobs that I've been laid off.  I go back to my desk to e-mail my H about what happened.  But...boom...my username in that 10-15 minute meeting has already been deactivated and I have no access to any of the network.  I've also given notice and, while I'm training someone else in my last two weeks, have gotten taken off group e-mails.  No longer get invited to meetings I normally attend.  That kind of thing.  Either way, it's only a short while longer to put up with :).

I feel like I'm in "hurry up and wait" mode.  Just a lot of things up in the air and it is driving me a little lot nuts, lol.

Our evicted tenant still hasn't notified us he is out.  Per court, he had until 11AM yesterday to leave.  My H is swinging by there today to peek in the windows and see what is going on.  If there are still belongings and/or signs of life, then he will head over to the courthouse to file for a constable to accompany us to the property.  Where we can then change the locks and put whatever belongings are left on the curb. 

I'm a little on pins and needles about the meeting on Friday with myself, my H and the real estate investor about doing some work for him.  But that isn't until Friday.  So more waiting, waiting, waiting.

And my car STILL isn't fixed!!!  But my rental car through my auto insurance runs out tomorrow.  Because I'm "only" covered for 30 days, per incident.  Yes.  It has been almost 30 days.  I did speak to my mechanic last Friday and he said the car should be ready sometime mid or late this week.  So, hopefully?, I won't have to come out of pocket for the rental.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  jeez! Between tenant and your car .... wtf people!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @OliveOilsMom you don't need to justify doing what's best for you to anyone. You did great no matter when you stop!  I stopped at 6 months with my oldest. I was going through a lot of testing that ultimately ended in having my gallbladder removed. I still remember one bastard doctor making me feel guilty I didn't have enough stored to pump and dump for a week. 

Disney negotiatons are literally at the point of - travel agent or diy. 2017 or 2018. 
  • Side note: one of the things coming to my city for the Canada 150 {joys of living in Canada's capital ;)!} is La Machine.
    Spider and Dragon - we're going to see them on the Saturday the 29th
    Apparently there's a whole story and quest! I'm stoked! :) I'll have photos and videos to show everyone ;)

http://www.ottawa2017.ca/events/signature-events/la-machine/
  • @MissKittyDanger this is the second time in less than 6 months, but tonsils aren't swollen. They said if it's not better by the 20th, I need to go get assessed for lymphoma.

@OliveOilsMom I understand 100% how you feel as I'm struggling as well. I eat a granola bar, drink a powerade, and have lactation treats I eat every day and she's almost to the point of needing to be bumped from 4 to 5 ounces and over the last 2 days I've produced 7 oz each day. She does well with formula so I try not to feel too bad, but it's hard not to feel like I'm failing her. Nobody ever really says, "Hey, breastfeeding is natural but it's HARD!" My goal was 6 months and we have 13 days to go, but my new goal is a year. I'm okay not EBF and my pediatrician says as long as she's getting some breast milk, that's good.
  • @DrillSergeantCat  Hopefully it's nothing serious but if it were me, I would be going for the assessment anyways - just to cross things off and make sure you're healthy.
  • @DrillSergeantCat - hope you feel better soon

@6fsn - yay for sleeping in.

Rain - well the area got some rain.   Enough to cause a rock slide and close the main road until this morning.  Luckily it's after where we turn for work.    In an another part of the road, this one before we get to work, they were going to start paving the road overnight for 3 nights to complete an pedestrian tunnel.  It's been under construction for 5 months now.  This is the last part.  Of course, it would start raining at night, slowly the progress.  I guess we have a little longer before it's finally complete.  I hate driving 35 through the area.

All that said, we barely got any rain where we live.  Everything above is 5-10 miles from us.    I swear, we really do live in a bubble where it rains all around, but no directly on us.   

DH's friend arrives today.  Tequila bar is set up.  Bed made, bathroom cleaned.   I am ready.    

Tonight is a charity event where they pimp out DH's services at the live auction. (note the club donates DH's services for a dinner for 6, plus wine at your home).

There is a slight chance we might have to make an appearance.   It's the 3rd year and he had never attended.   I think the members would like to see him there.    Not that it make a difference.   Each year he has brought in the most amount of money at the auction.   2 years ago they decided to auction him off twice.  Each time bringing in over $10K for the charity.  Not each year, each auction item.  So over $20K a year.  :open_mouth:     

I can't even imagine spending $10K+ for a dinner of 6 (with wine).   I'm lucky I get his cooking for free  :tongue:

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @CharmedPam, I'm having trouble with my Internet at work today also.  TK is super slow, but so are other sites.  However, it is bright and sunny outside, so rain/thunderstorms is no excuse for us.

@charlotte989875, that would be seriously awesome if you and your H got new jobs at around the same time.  I really hope a job offer for him is on the horizon.  Maybe it is different in academia, but the kind of actions you are describing aren't that unusual in the private sector.  Even though, from their side, they are in the middle of counteroffers.  It sounds like they are just making moves to adjust for your soon-to-be vacancy.

I've gotten the word at jobs that I've been laid off.  I go back to my desk to e-mail my H about what happened.  But...boom...my username in that 10-15 minute meeting has already been deactivated and I have no access to any of the network.  I've also given notice and, while I'm training someone else in my last two weeks, have gotten taken off group e-mails.  No longer get invited to meetings I normally attend.  That kind of thing.  Either way, it's only a short while longer to put up with :).

I feel like I'm in "hurry up and wait" mode.  Just a lot of things up in the air and it is driving me a little lot nuts, lol.

Our evicted tenant still hasn't notified us he is out.  Per court, he had until 11AM yesterday to leave.  My H is swinging by there today to peek in the windows and see what is going on.  If there are still belongings and/or signs of life, then he will head over to the courthouse to file for a constable to accompany us to the property.  Where we can then change the locks and put whatever belongings are left on the curb. 

I'm a little on pins and needles about the meeting on Friday with myself, my H and the real estate investor about doing some work for him.  But that isn't until Friday.  So more waiting, waiting, waiting.

And my car STILL isn't fixed!!!  But my rental car through my auto insurance runs out tomorrow.  Because I'm "only" covered for 30 days, per incident.  Yes.  It has been almost 30 days.  I did speak to my mechanic last Friday and he said the car should be ready sometime mid or late this week.  So, hopefully?, I won't have to come out of pocket for the rental.

Yeah I get that. By in academia it's pretty rare for anything to move fast. And I haven't even submitted anything in writing, so it's just odd. Whatever, not trying to worry about. 
  • mrsconn23 said:

LOL!  It's a good or special day.  

It's an old idiom dating from the 1400's-ish that refers to feast days and other holy holidays on the church's calendar in red.  ;) 

Fun!  I knew what the expression meant, but had never heard the history of where it came from.

@DrillSergeantCat, yikes, I hope you're feeling better soon!  And I hope your interview went well ;).  You're a trooper! 

@OliveOilsMom, don't feel any guilt over the decisions you need to make about breastfeeding!  Heck, I think back in the '70s, formula was considered best and women got grief if they breastfed.  At least I've heard, I was too young to be aware of it.  The main thing is a baby is thriving and it sounds like your LO is.

Although I'm not a mother myself, my sister was unable to breastfeed her first baby at all because of medical complications she had after delivery.  That baby is now a healthy, active, 9-year-old who is 5'0", taller than her grandma (my mom) and the same height as me, lol.  She is smart as a whip and does extremely well in school.  Granted, I'm not a doctor, but her lack of breast milk as an infant certainly appears to have had zero negative effect on her.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

That's nuts! ~30 days! FX that it's fixed today.  

thunder and lightening like whoa!  I wish our power went out. LOL.  I have nothing crucial to do and I'm alone and bored.  Not that I'm not bored when there's people in the office either.

Last night DH and I went to see The Beguiled.  It was such a strange movie.  I'm seriously not sure if I like it or not.  It leaves you going "whaaaaat?".  But I'm not really familiar with Sofia Coppola movies.  Maybe it's supposed to be like that? It takes place during the civil war so I like the era and placement of it.  Just so odd.

• I'm trying to get motivated for the gym. I have class today and maybe lunch with a friend. Otherwise, SSDD. I'm in my pre-period slump where I am just so so tired. It's making it hard to function. I just want to sleep all day. I'm not looking forward to work tomorrow. 

• Thanks for the stories all!  It helps to hear from "strangers" who have been there/done that too.  My H is supportive of whatever I choose, but he just doesn't understand the emotional side of things.

DSC - I hope you feel better!

Lynda - Your H can come cook for me anything!  It's great that his craft is so well respected by the members that they bid that much for his food.  Has he ever been on TV or tried out for any competitive cooking shows?

• @DrillSergeantCat I hope you feel better soon! 
    @6fsn Glad you got extra sleep! 
    @charlotte989875 Good luck to DH! 
    @CharmedPam I often think about how the weather conditions you describe match up with mine and then I remember we're both in the 'burbs of Chicago. Haha. 
    It's raining too much here! I love rain but I hope it eases up. My grandmother's flight arrives this evening! I hope there are no delays. 
  • @6fsn Disney!! Ah so jealous. I've never been and have always wanted to. FI says we can go once we have kids - I want to go now! lol

@OliveOilsMom You're not letting her down! The fact that you did it at all is amazing. Ultimately, you know what's best for you and your child - and a happy baby starts with a happy mom.

@DrillSergeantCat Hope you feel better! Garth as in Garth Brooks? 

@charlotte989875 Sounds like we're going through a lot of the same stuff right now! You're just a few weeks ahead of me haha.

Had knots in my stomach all morning as today was the day I quit my job! It went really well though, and manager said to keep in touch and that I always had a job here if we ever come back. I don't know why I was so nervous - I think a big part of it was the fact that this is starting to get real. 2 weeks and we're moving across the country! I have to admit I panic a little when I think too much into it.

We're driving with a Uhaul to our new home. It's going to take us 3 days (30 hour drive) so we booked the hotels we're staying at for the two nights we stop. One of them is good, but the other is literally in the boonies, and looks like something out of a horror movie. There was nothing else better within 5 hours in both directions, so we didn't really have a choice. Wish me luck lol.
  • @soontobemrs-2 yes ma'am. Garth Brooks!