Wedding Woes

Just keep it as a fantasy and nothing more.

Dear Prudence,

My kid is in preschool, and one of their friends has parents who just got divorced. I’m happily married, but the other child’s mother is attractive, and now seemingly much more so. I am pretty certain I would never act on anything (I have not touched another person in any intimate way since I met my wife and have no intention of doing so), but I can’t help fantasizing about my kid’s friend’s mom now that she’s single.

I haven’t ever met up with this other mom one on one and would have no reason to do so, and the extent of any texts is to set up play dates (without any double-entendre there). Do I have to do anything else to stay further away? Or can I enjoy a bit of fantasizing as long as I leave it at that?

—Just a Fantasy

Re: Just keep it as a fantasy and nothing more.

• Fantasy is just fine!  As long as there are no temptations to treat/do things any differently with her than any other parents, I don't think there is any reason to avoid her.

Now I have the song, "Stacy's Mom", stuck in my head, lol.

***Stacy's mom has got it goin' on, Stacy's mom has got it goin' on***

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Fantasy is just fine!  As long as there are no temptations to treat/do things any differently with her than any other parents, I don't think there is any reason to avoid her.

I feel like maybe there is a little temptation there. He says he's "pretty certain" not absolutely certain that he wouldn't go any further. It almost feels like he's flirting with the idea of flirting a little.

Thanks .... now it's in my head
  • There's nothing wrong with being attracted to somebody's looks. Just because you're married, it doesn't make every other woman/man that's not your significant other unattractive. But the fact that this guy is thinking about it THIS much, and even more so because he's excited about that fact that she's now single, really irks me. Keep it to yourself, and your fantasies. 
  • This is so. much. effort this guy has put into a non-relationship. Like, what on earth is he looking for from Prudie? Does he need to know it's okay to fantasize? Does he want permission for thinking stuff? Or does he need someone to smack him down for thinking about fucking someone attractive? 

It seems so very weird to me to take all the time to write to an advice column about this. Fuck her or don't, but jeez, why all this agita if it's just a fantasy? 

Thanks .... now it's in my head

I'm always happy to share, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker