Wedding Woes

Friday!

HeffalumpHeffalump member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited July 2017 in Wedding Woes
I'm back.  What have I missed here, WW?  How's things?

We had a great trip.  My brother is married.  He's in the Seychelles now with his new bride, posting enviable beach pics.  The kids did great--I wasn't sure how well they'd handle it, and if not for the wedding, we probably would have put off a trip like this for a few more years.  So now I'm glad the wedding forced the issue.  It went well enough that DH and I spent a good chunk of the flight home planning a trip to Peru next year. :)

The wedding itself was really nice.  We had a great time.  The groom's "village" (which included us) had to walk some distance from the venue (country house converted to hotel/restaurant/pub/event venue) while the bride's "village" gathered in front of the venue, and then the groom's village approached the bride's village as a group while a drummer walked alongside.  (The drummer was awesome.)  There was some deal where the bride's sisters pretended to turn my brother away and he had to pay them off, but I guess it's just symbolic now?  Refreshments, then immediate family got to witness signing the marriage contract, in which my brother a) had to turn over a dowry (which I think is also symbolic now?), and b) the bride never appeared--her father signed on her behalf.  I try to be open minded and culturally sensitive, but that kind of got a o_O from me.  Especially the second part.  I mean, obviously she consented and everything and it's just tradition, but still.  It's like "Who gives this woman...?" to the extreme. 

More refreshments.  The imam gave a speech, and it was really good.  We enjoyed it a lot.  Also, don't tell the imam, but it put DS right to sleep.  Like literally, I watched him close his eyes, and he didn't open them again for an hour and a half.  Then they brought around sweets.  Civil ceremony, when Wooz did her flower girl stint and I did my reading.  Wooz was the oldest of the three, so she was unofficially the head flower girl, which is right up her alley.  Went straight to her head, but she did a great job of keeping the littler girls in line and keeping them quiet during the civil ceremony.  Then we ate.  (Do you see a theme here?)  Then the usual cake cutting, first dance, etc.  By then the kids were running out of gas, so we started winding it down for the day. 

Sunday we returned to London, then Monday was Harrods (including tea at the Georgian, which everyone loved), Tuesday was a Thames cruise and the Tower of London, and Wednesday was Westminster Abbey and the London Eye.  (I was not terribly interested in the latter, and we only went because Wooz really wanted to.  But when we got there it was super cool and I was so glad we did it.)  Yesterday we were up early and on our way to the airport, flew all day, and got home in time for dinner.  And here I am.  Everyone slept past 5:00 this morning, which is good enough for me.  I think we're readjusting okay.  DH is keeping the kids home today, but I'm here because I'm trying to conserve my remaining PTO.

And that's everything.  Y'all's turn!

Re: Friday!

• That trip sounds awesome! So glad to hear the kids did well. It always gives me hope that we will travel again some day. A trip to Peru would be so fun!

My dad turns 60 this weekend so we are going to his lake house to celebrate. As some of you know, my folks got divorced last year. I'd always planned on doing a big, combined 60th for them (born the same year). It's awkward this year for that reason and because he's having his new girlfriend up there. I like her well enough so far and I'm really glad my dad finally seems happier... it'll just be the first time I'll be there when my dad is going to bed with someone else. I know that probably sounds super minute and, on paper, it is. But it feels a bit weird for me. I'm normally so excited to go up there and this time I'm just feeling awkward and meh.
    *********************************************************************************

• That trip sounds incredible! So glad the kids did so well. 

Im exhausted, have some big updates I'll try and post later but I'm off to yet another meeting. Happy Friday!
  • @Heffalump, congrats to your brother and I'm so glad to hear the trip went well for all of you!  Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

@southernbelle0915, I can understand your discomfort with your dad, his g/f, and the upcoming weekend.  I'm sure the next time will be easier.  And I'm sure it will still be a fun weekend, once you all get up there.

FOR ONCE, I have an eventful weekend planned, lol.  Today is not so fun.  A good friend's mom has been in the hospital for over two weeks (not sure what is wrong) and my H and I are giving him a ride to her house, so he can pick up her car and bring it into town.  Unfortunately, she lives an hour away.  But this evening, my H and I are attending some (supposedly) fancy Diamond Celebration dinner at Harrahs that we were invited to.  At least the food better be good, lol.

Tomorrow, we are going to the Antiques Roadshow!!!!  I won tickets.  Squeee!!  We're still a little up in the air as to what we are bringing.  My H was going to bring some antique bikes his friend has...but I was just reading over the rules yesterday and bikes are not allowed.  Doh!

The one item we are definitely bringing is an interesting piece of folk art we have.  It's not old and I doubt it's valuable, but it's really neat!  It's a vibrant, brightly colored swamp scene...but painted on a Cypress log that was cut in half.  The painter is/was a prisoner at Angola (The Farm) and the piece was sold at their annual rodeo they throw for the public.  I bought it at a garage sale for $35.  But I have failed you all and don't have a pic of it handy to post, lol.

Sunday will be a much needed day of rest.  Much needed!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome back @Heffalump!  The trip sounds amazing; how was your mom both emotionally and physically?

@southernbelle0915 I don't think it's all that odd or glib to feel strange about that.  Your parents got divorced at a late age, of course it's going to be odd at first.  I hope the weekend turns out better than expected.

Today, I'm exhausted.  Last night I worked a bridal show (with the sales rep who is the point of contention in my negotiations).  It went really well.  Then we went out after for a friends birthday and had a hard time finding a place that served dinner after 10.  I got home late and am sooo tired.  And naturally I have a busy weekend.  We need to powerwash the house before Monday, I have a bridal shower Saturday and lunch Sunday for my BFF's parents birthdays.  I just want a nap.  Or a coffee.  Or a nap followed by coffee.  *le sigh*
  • Your trip looked amazing, Heff!! 

BIL is home, yay!!  We had dinner out last night and everyone is really, really happy...especially my nephews.  :D 

I'm thinking about knocking off early and going to the store just to get it done. 

Other than that, SSDD.  I officially took the first day of school off and I can't wait. 
  • @Heffalump  sounds like you had a great trip! Glad everyone did well :)

@southernbelle0915 Have you met your dad's girlfriend before, or will this be the first time?
    Hopefully all goes smoothly at the very least :) HBD to your parents!

@short+sassy  your weekend sounds great - minus hospital visit lol

Has anyone heard from @sparklepants41 ? I'm wondering if she had the baby :)

So mixed feelings this morning. Since I haven't been feeling great, and M and I are TTC I opted to take an e.p.t. Came out negative, and likely is negative but I'm gonna take one next week in case my dates are wrong {and I'm not 6 days away from my period}
    If I'm not - like I mentioned, likely not but want to be 100% sure - I'm still going to the doctor. Maybe I'm fighting a cold? Maybe I'm low on some type of vitamin? Idk. I'm just so run down.

Tomorrow we're going for the Kingston Pen tour, but we have to be on the road by 7am .... fml!
    It's gonna be a long day and I'll be exhausted even more on Sunday, but it'll be fun. We're gonna have lunch by the water and probably get some dessert later. {ice cream!}

I think Sunday will be 'catch up day' - catch up on cleaning, random little things around the house, etc.
  • Birthday party tomorrow. So that means cleaning tonight and tomorrow morning. 

No boss at work today so I'll probably finish the new crochet project I started yesterday. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2017
    welcome back @heffalump.  Trip sounds awesome and so does Peru.  Wedding sounded beautiful, and I would feel the same as you about the father signing on behalf of the daughter.  But like you said, it's a cultural thing. I'm like you and jump RIGHT back into work to save PTO.  No time to recoupe at home.
    @southernbelle0915 have fun this weekend.  Hopefully it doesn't seem to awkward. HB to your dad!
    @short+sassy I can't wait till Monday to see what the art piece is worth.  Sounds so much fun.  Enjoy your Diamond Dinner!
    @kimmiinthemitten, that does sound like a busy day!

So I placed an order for homechef yesterday to re-start the delivery and now I'm teetering on whether to cancel or not (I have till noon). On one hand it really isn't a bad deal and I love how everything is portioned out and delivered.  I think I'd only get 3 meals (for 2 ppl) at the grocery store for $60 to be honest. On the other hand - maybe I could go grocery shopping and save some money?  Or can I? grocery shopping is pretty pricey too and my savings wouldn't be that much....

Tonight I'm going to see my brother, SIL, mom, dad and nephew.  Nephew was born in Dec and this is the 2nd time I'll see him.  I'm pretty excited! 

edit: words

• That trip sounds amazing! 

I think bff's baby got me sick. It's day three since I've seen them and right on cue I woke up with a scratchy throat. I'm annoyed. I work through Thursday and then next weekend I have a bachelorette party. I hope I'm okay by then. I don't get sick too often because I try really really hard not to. Once I am sick I usually go down hard and fast. I started zicam and I'm going to cancel dinner with my cohort tonight and come home to sleep instead. I'm definitely not getting any rest until Tuesday. Uhhhh. 

Otherwise, SSDD. Class today for work, and work all weekend. SO has been great and really helpful. I hope I get my schedule soon so I can plan a trip with him, even if it's thirty miles away at the beach. 

• levioosa said:
    That trip sounds amazing! 

I think bff's baby got me sick. It's day three since I've seen them and right on cue I woke up with a scratchy throat. I'm annoyed. I work through Thursday and then next weekend I have a bachelorette party. I hope I'm okay by then. I don't get sick too often because I try really really hard not to. Once I am sick I usually go down hard and fast. I started zicam and I'm going to cancel dinner with my cohort tonight and come home to sleep instead. I'm definitely not getting any rest until Tuesday. Uhhhh. 

Otherwise, SSDD. Class today for work, and work all weekend. SO has been great and really helpful. I hope I get my schedule soon so I can plan a trip with him, even if it's thirty miles away at the beach. 
    sorry you're starting to feel sick.  Summer colds are the worst.  They should NOT EVEN BE HAPPENING!  Zicam should work.  I started to feel a scratchy throat a few days ago and so far airborne has kept me out of risk of a damn summer cold. 

• (Shudder), I just had to spend 2 minutes in the breakroom with my work "BEC" guy while I was waiting for my breakfast burrito to heat up, lol.  I find him SO creepy and he just puts my hackles up.  He's never overtly done anything for me to feel that way about him.  Just one of those strong "creep" feelings.  I've worked here for 4 years and he has been here even longer...and I've never heard him say one word to anybody.  Not exaggerating.  It's weird.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • K is off to another roller derby game that she's super stoked about b/c she'll be playing against a team that is in our eyeline for the future to see if she can get up to D1 level playing.  I'm staying home b/c I need to get our apartment fully settled in.   I keep saying that, but I really need to do it.  It's bothering my sense of peace to have this kind of half assed thing going on.  And a majority of it is pride related crap that's been sitting there for over a month now, so it needs to go.

I have no motivation at work today.  I've been working my derriere off and it seems to have paid off so far, but I'm just so tired.
  • @short+sassy Ah, jealous! Have fun! :smiley:
    @MissKittyDanger Hope you start to feel better soon!

Annoyed today cause my Financial Advisor quit, and literally said nothing to me. I was in the middle of working with her to withdrawal from my RSP for my home buyers plan. I sent a follow up email, and it bounced back saying her email no longer existed. That's how I found out. Anyways, I know I have enough time to work it out, cause we don't close on our house til August 11th, I'm just annoyed my case didn't get transferred to another FA, and I have to go through the process all over again.

We have 1 week 'til our big move. And I'm at the point where I'm so overwhelmed because I still have so much to do, and I feel like I have no time to do it! Still working full time, and our weekend is fully booked with family who want to see us before we leave. I need a margarita :dizzy:
  • @levioosa  urg summer colds suck :(

@short+sassy  Could he be introverted? I'm curious how you get 'creep' vibes

@VarunaTT  whooo!! Go K! :) Roller derby looks fun, is it as painful as it looks like it could be?

@apollymi  one week! almost there!
  • Welcome back Heffa and your trip sounds amazing!

Southern - I hope your awkward feeling subsides quickly and you can make the most of the weekend!  I would probably feel the same too! 

Leviosa - Feel better!

Apollymi - I would be really put off that they didn't transfer your file as well.  Maybe it was a sudden departure and she wasn't given time to update people on her work. 

S+S - Have fun at the antique roadshow!  Sometimes I get sucked into watching it!  It's so fascinating!

This maybe a P+R because I'm trying to finish up work before heading out for the day.  I'm taking a half day at work and we are packing up for the beach.  We have a little fun money to spend, so we can hit up a few choice spots that we love!

Enjoy your weekends!

• Thanks y'all! @MissKittyDanger I've met her twice and she seems pretty nice. She makes him happy so that's all that really matters. It'll be fine, I just need to get through this visit so subsequent overnights seem more normal. 
    *********************************************************************************

• @Heffalump Welcome back
    @MissKittyDanger and @levioosa I hope you feel better soon! 

More entertaining here. I've already had enough social interaction to suffice the next decade. LOL
    Another aunt comes tomorrow. She's taking my bedroom. I have SO much cleaning left. With so many guests, I feel like I'm never finished cleaning. 

• @VarunaTT, a couple weekends ago was our local "Running of the Bulls" event.  It's a fun run (that inevitably turns into a bar hop later).  Participants dress up like matadors and the ladies of all the local roller derby teams put little bull horns on their helmets and carry oversized plastic bats.  They chase the runners and spank them with their bats.  It's really cute and hysterical.

@apollymi, I had something like that happen to me, except I DIDN'T get a bounced back e-mail.  I had a tight deadline for closing on a property and contacted my usual commercial loan guy.  He'd always been good about getting back to me.  But then a few days had gone by and I hadn't heard from him.  I finally called the branch.  Only to find out he no longer worked there!  Yet, his e-mail was still live and apparently not being forwarded to anybody.  WTF?!?!

Hang in there!  New adventures soon :).  Lots of margaritas in the meantime!

@MissKittyDanger, he's either introverted, really unfriendly, or both.  That's probably part of my creep vibe.  But yeah, admittedly, it's just one of those bad feelings without any real rhyme or reason for it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  fair enough. I get that sometimes and always try to see if there's a reason behind my feelings. Sometimes they're valid, sometimes not.
  • Thanks @short+sassy :) Keep picturing myself on the deck of my new house, feet up, margarita in hand to get me through all this!
  • SEAN SPICER RESIGNED!!!!! AHAHAHAHA
  • @MissKittyDanger Yeah, it's pretty painful.  The players always do a bruise count after each game.  K usually ends up with some rink rash, which is basically from falling and sliding on bare skin, lots of bruises from wheels and hits, and every now and then a minor concussion.  She took a massive hit 2 weekends ago when player A pivoted off player B and took K out from a gut shot.  K was knocked onto her side, bounced, and hit the rink wall.  She said it was a fair shot, she wasn't paying attention b/c she was looking for the other jammer and trying to call off the jam.

• Hey, people. Holy cow has this been a busy week. 12-hour days and I am exhausted. But I just sent out a deadline and only have minimal, non-pressing things to do for the rest of the afternoon. The office is quickly becoming a ghost town, so I may skedaddle at 3:30 to go home and rest.

Hair appointment tomorrow, a few nursery projects, and then getting my hospital bag packed in case my doctor wants to induce me on Monday...Planning on having a date night with H tomorrow night (timed it to coincide with my hair appointment ;) )

• @VarunaTT  ahh that's not bad, all is expected in that kinda sport. They wear protection, right?
  • Yes, they're required to have helmets, wrist guards, elbow guards, and knee guards.

Since the game is trying to be more professional, the organization overseeing leagues has made them stop wearing fishnets and the like.  K says that she used to get rink rash with fish net patterns overlaid on it.  Her most major injury has been a dislocated shoulder, but others have had much worse injuries.  They have medics on site for every game and some teams have EMS on standby, depending on the event/venue/team.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Yes, they're required to have helmets, wrist guards, elbow guards, and knee guards.

Since the game is trying to be more professional, the organization overseeing leagues has made them stop wearing fishnets and the like.  K says that she used to get rink rash with fish net patterns overlaid on it.  Her most major injury has been a dislocated shoulder, but others have had much worse injuries.  They have medics on site for every game and some teams have EMS on standby, depending on the event/venue/team.
    Glad they're being safe. I love watching derby and I've off-and-on debated on joining a team BUT idk if I could deal with the injuries. I'm a pansy when it comes to pain :')
  • @sparklepants41  welcome back! I thought maybe you'd had the baby and unable to post :) Have fun on date night!!
  • SEAN SPICER RESIGNED!!!!! AHAHAHAHA
    His replacement isn't an improvement though.  :/
  • mrsconn23 said:
    SEAN SPICER RESIGNED!!!!! AHAHAHAHA
    His replacement isn't an improvement though.  :/
    Shit ... who is it?
  • @sparklepants41  welcome back! I thought maybe you'd had the baby and unable to post :) Have fun on date night!!

Thanks! I'm still very very pregnant lol.