Snarky Brides

NWR...but what are all of your thoughts on Birthday Charity?

Because I'm totally side-eyeing it as a thing. Raise money or don't, but don't be AWish about it.

Re: NWR...but what are all of your thoughts on Birthday Charity?

• Ha. My birthday was Monday and Facebook didn't ask me this. Maybe they know better?
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Happy almost birthday Jedi and happy belated Charlotte!  Mine was back in June and fb did offer me but I didn't read it closely.  Is it you donate and let everyone know?  Or you hit up friends to donate too?  The latter is obnoxious...the former falls into that "check out my new yoga pose!" / Jaydeynn pooped on the potty!" / "bruunncchh selfiee!" area for me.  Annoying but not hurting anyone.
  • eileenrob said:
    Happy almost birthday Jedi and happy belated Charlotte!  Mine was back in June and fb did offer me but I didn't read it closely.  Is it you donate and let everyone know?  Or you hit up friends to donate too?  The latter is obnoxious...the former falls into that "check out my new yoga pose!" / Jaydeynn pooped on the potty!" / "bruunncchh selfiee!" area for me.  Annoying but not hurting anyone.
    Thanks! 

I didn't click through to figure it out, though I assumed latter...I was just thinking "WTF? I've learned some much from TK to now judge this shit."
  • I saw this for the first time a few weeks ago. An acquaintance set it up and it sent me a notification informing me of it. I sideeyed and eye rolled and didn't donate. I just looked at her page and apparently two people donated a total of $200. 
  • Yeah, it is totally gross. It is a "instead of presents, donate to this charity for my birthday". I feel like it is corporate americas attempt at kindness. 
  • So one of my acquaintances creates a FB "event" for her birthday every year and invites all of her FB friends. She asks people to perform an "act of kindness" and think of her while they're doing it, then take a picture and submit it to the FB group. I can't decide if that's a sweet thing to do or tacky. FWIW, I've never submitted anything. 
  • I just don't get the idea that people are supposed to be doing something in honor/celebration of your birthday (as an adult). If you think you're entitled to some kind of action from people (like we see with weddings and gifts), then that's when you think you can direct or redirect how that action will go.
  • edited July 2017
    It's marketing for Facebook and benefits them financially. If they can be seen as a promoter and conduit for charities, they'll get more ad revenue. 

But yes, on the tacky meter, this is reading an 11.
    *********************************************************************************

• I must be doing something wrong if, as an adult, my friends and family aren't showering me with cash gifts where I even could direct those gifts to a charity, lol.

My mom and grandma give me cash gifts for my birthday.  And I'm perfectly capable of donating that money to whatever charity I want, if I wish.  My H takes me out to a nice dinner.  A select few friends might give me a trinket or take me out to a casual lunch/dinner.  That's about it.  I know I can't be in the minority of thinking it would be bizarre to give a grown adult friend a cash gift for their birthday, lol.  As such, I'm not schilling for donations to my favorite charity either.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So one of my acquaintances creates a FB "event" for her birthday every year and invites all of her FB friends. She asks people to perform an "act of kindness" and think of her while they're doing it, then take a picture and submit it to the FB group. I can't decide if that's a sweet thing to do or tacky. FWIW, I've never submitted anything. 
    You get those too? I have a couple of Facebook friends who do that.
  • edited July 2017
    My birthday is almost coming too but I am happy Facebook didn't ask me I would feel obligated.