Wedding Etiquette Forum

Speeches

I'm currently at a wedding, and we are at 2 hours and 17 minutes into speeches with no sign of stopping. Everyone is reading their phones under the table. There have been about 15 people so far. I'm partially offended I wasn't asked. 

Please limit speeches to 2-3 people with 5 minutes maximum! This is tedious. 

Re: Speeches

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That sucks!  There's nothing better than 1-2 people giving a 1 min toast.   I hope that at least there's an open bar and that it's not closed during the speeches. 
  • Been there.  The last wedding actually stopped speeches after about 90 mins (yay!!  Pee and Bar break) and then they started up again after a 10 minute break.  It was brutal, along with many other terrible things that happened

• OMG! I'm so sorry for you because I know what that's like. Go to the restroom. I'll bet there are lots of guests in there chatting.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017
    Two hours and seventeen minutes?

I'd have been out of there after about 30 minutes. What in the world are they talking about?

• This is when a young child would come in handy--"Oh, excuse me!  Little Emily has to pee again!"  Sorry you're having to deal with that.  I once sat through a reception that was basically all "special dances," including a special dance for the bride, performed by the groom and all the WP, that lasted at least 12 minutes.  Apparently it was based on a Hawaiian tradition, which neither the bride nor groom were.  I guess it's better than speeches, but it was super painful to watch.
  • This is when a young child would come in handy--"Oh, excuse me!  Little Emily has to pee again!"  Sorry you're having to deal with that.  I once sat through a reception that was basically all "special dances," including a special dance for the bride, performed by the groom and all the WP, that lasted at least 12 minutes.  Apparently it was based on a Hawaiian tradition, which neither the bride nor groom were.  I guess it's better than speeches, but it was super painful to watch.
  • What could any of them possibly even be talking about for that long?!?!?!
  • This is when you grab a bottle of wine off the table and go to the bathroom!
  • It was so long! They just decided to have about 20 people talk. Then they ended with a slideshow. It was ridiculous 

• This sounds more like a funeral than a wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited August 2017
    Was anyone  awake when they finished? 

• Was anyone  awake when they finished? 
    Better question: Was there any booze left when they finished? ;)
    Oh course!!  There was a full bar left cos no one could get up to go get drinks.  

• I know it doesn't help you now @LondonLisa, but...

I'm speechless at the torture you and the other guests suffered!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Been there.  The last wedding actually stopped speeches after about 90 mins (yay!!  Pee and Bar break) and then they started up again after a 10 minute break.  It was brutal, along with many other terrible things that happened
    Do tell. . .

httpcdn-wpmsadefymediacomwp-contentuploadssites3201612grgif
    The usual stuff.  Asking for cash for their honeymoon instead of gifts, which they never took.  No thank you for the boxed gift we did give.  Major gap (which is the norm here though), wedding started very late (they were leaving the house when it was supposed to start), apparently they got 'legally' married the day before cos they found out their friend who was going to marry they couldn't get legally ordained to do the ceremony, but didn't tell anyone,  groomsman forgot the liquor license (Lawyer Grandpa got a picture of it texted  and bullied the bar into serving anyway till it showed up in person).  And not that it was her fault at all, but there was a problem with the cake, and it was never made/delivered or something, so the only dessert was the small candy bar.  Again, not her fault, but after everything else, not having cake made me sad.   

• I know it doesn't help you now @LondonLisa, but...

I'm speechless at the torture you and the other guests suffered!

I see what you did there,
    Do tell. . .

httpcdn-wpmsadefymediacomwp-contentuploadssites3201612grgif
    The usual stuff.  Asking for cash for their honeymoon instead of gifts, which they never took.  No thank you for the boxed gift we did give.  Major gap (which is the norm here though), wedding started very late (they were leaving the house when it was supposed to start), apparently they got 'legally' married the day before cos they found out their friend who was going to marry they couldn't get legally ordained to do the ceremony, but didn't tell anyone,  groomsman forgot the liquor license (Lawyer Grandpa got a picture of it texted  and bullied the bar into serving anyway till it showed up in person).  And not that it was her fault at all, but there was a problem with the cake, and it was never made/delivered or something, so the only dessert was the small candy bar.  Again, not her fault, but after everything else, not having cake made me sad.   
    My guess is the "or something" is she didn't pay the bill to the baker considering all the other flakiness happening...  js
  • I'm currently at a wedding, and we are at 2 hours and 17 minutes into speeches with no sign of stopping. Everyone is reading their phones under the table. There have been about 15 people so far. I'm partially offended I wasn't asked. 

Please limit speeches to 2-3 people with 5 minutes maximum! This is tedious. 
    My whole reception wasn't even that long.....