Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

I feel like I can finally breath a little.  We mad it through my parents 50th.  I almost killed a few people, but didn't.  My parents were happy so SUCCESS.  I told my mom I got a gift cards for doing good work.  She followed that with "your brother was nominated for president of X state's medical society."  She doesn't really ever pit us against each other, but the timing was funny so I'll be teasing her about it for awhile.

We survived Open House and the big fundraiser for the school is so close to being ready.  I have all of my event chairs for next year.

Moms group is all set and more organized than ever.

6let won is first soccer game Saturday.  Sunday they had their first evaluation for the pre-academy team.  Only 24 players make it.  They were playing a 4v4 format and his team made it to the final round.  The academy coach was impressed with him.  So yay!

School starts tomorrow!!  I'm going to completely ignore the cluster of our fall schedule and focus on taking the kids to lunch then spending the afternoon at the pool.

Re: Tuesday

• Options
    You beat me!

Have a good tuedays!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

@6fsn, congrats to your parents!  I'm glad they enjoyed their party and good job to you for not killing anyone, lol.

Last night was a Costco run with H.  Normally, I only grocery shop on Fri. afternoon or Sat.  But, unbeknownst to me, our toilet paper supplies had run out!  It's extremely rare I'm not on top of a dwindling supply, so I've been tsking myself.  So...$187 later...we have more toilet paper, lol.  Unfortunately, it is the Kirkland brand.  I always forget how much I don't like it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I LOVE that wedding pic, @6fsn.   Your parents were so cute. 

Not much to report here.  SSDD.  
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017

@6fsn, congrats to your parents!  I'm glad they enjoyed their party and good job to you for not killing anyone, lol.

Last night was a Costco run with H.  Normally, I only grocery shop on Fri. afternoon or Sat.  But, unbeknownst to me, our toilet paper supplies had run out!  It's extremely rare I'm not on top of a dwindling supply, so I've been tsking myself.  So...$187 later...we have more toilet paper, lol.  Unfortunately, it is the Kirkland brand.  I always forget how much I don't like it.

And, with it being Costco, you'll be using it for the next year!

DH bought trash bags at Costco...scented trash bags. I think nursing homes smell better than scented trash bags. And now we have them for the next 10 years. 
    LOL I will remember that for when I need more trash bags! 
    I have a love/hate relationship with costco.  I like their produce and they have neat food and if you do buy it in bulk - it's cheaper....but it's always over $100! a simple "staple" run is always over $100.

SSDD for me.  Last week we were informed of a meeting happening in our office, and guests coming in for it.  It's a way of saying "don't wear jeans (which we normally can) and dress business casual (which we normally don't)".  It was sent out Wednesday.  For some stupid reason, I thought it was Thursday of this week and I thought they would have reminded me yesterday if it was today!  My top is business casual but my Capri's are kinda not the greatest.  They are black but with zippers and pockets on the side of the legs. oops.  I'll have to  make sure not to walk around when the guests get here.  I hope there are no introductions.  

• Options
    @6fsn  glad everything went well. It's not a gathering without wanting to at least smack someone ;) Kudos for not doing it!

@southernbelle0915  how far along are you? Aww sweet of your H! :)

@short+sassy  certain things I always buy certain brands, like TP lol but we usually get lucky with sales ;) Boo Kirkland tp though

Not much last night.
    Had to take a briefcase home so my boss could swing by and pick it up. We don't live too far from each other, so it works.

M realized a huge mistake when putting together the workbench. He laughed at himself once he realized the issue.
    2x4 aren't really 2" x 4" ... they're 1.5" x 3.5" {i think ...} and he completely forgot that part. Given that, he messed up the length also. He should have cut some boards half inch instead of full inch. Sounds insignificant but apparently in long run it'll make a difference.

Tonight he's likely fixing that up, I started cleaning the main floor bathroom and I'll probably finish that. Toilet is done and that's main part tbh.
  • Options
    @lyndausvi Beautiful photos of your hikes.  Glad your hiker is feeling ok.  Falls down the mountain can be scary.  Makes me with we lived closer to the mountains though.  We don't go often enough for how close we are.  

@6fsn Congratulations on the anniversary party.  Such a cute wedding photo!

No plans yet for today. Probably work on the Shutterfly album for the trip.  I might run into the school as I've been buying pillows and a rug for my class, and it would be nice to get them out of the house.  We'll see though

• Options
    LOL I will remember that for when I need more trash bags! 
    I have a love/hate relationship with costco.  I like their produce and they have neat food and if you do buy it in bulk - it's cheaper....but it's always over $100! a simple "staple" run is always over $100.

SSDD for me.  Last week we were informed of a meeting happening in our office, and guests coming in for it.  It's a way of saying "don't wear jeans (which we normally can) and dress business casual (which we normally don't)".  It was sent out Wednesday.  For some stupid reason, I thought it was Thursday of this week and I thought they would have reminded me yesterday if it was today!  My top is business casual but my Capri's are kinda not the greatest.  They are black but with zippers and pockets on the side of the legs. oops.  I'll have to  make sure not to walk around when the guests get here.  I hope there are no introductions.  

My Costco is the first one built in Louisiana.  And you can tell they really hedged their bets.  It's a good 30-40% smaller than a typical Costco or Sam's Club.  Hence why they only had two toilet paper selections, neither of them Cottonelle (grumble, grumble). I'm always torn.  The Sam's Clubs around are bigger and have more selection, but they're out in the suburbs.  Whereas Costco is the only warehouse store in the city and much closer to my house.  So it wins (sigh). 

The produce is HORRIBLE at mine.  It's often over-ripe and sometimes already rotting on the shelves.  I don't know what Louisiana's problem is but, in general, we have terrible produce in grocery stores. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @6fsn - Love the wedding pic!  I think my aunt had the same headpiece/veil.  So glad the party went well.

I started a new position at the end of June and my workplace put a restriction on personal internet use so I haven't been around TK much.

The new position is going pretty well.  I'm in supervision now and that's different.  We have a group of 10 with lots of personalities and they work fairly well together so that's good.

In addition to settling into a new job, DH and I are moving.  We live in an apartment and are moving to the next building over but into a lower unit (we currently live on the second floor).  We need to do this because DH has mobility issues and the stairs are becoming increasingly difficult for him.  His issues mean that I carry everything upstairs - laundry, groceries, luggage, etc.  So it'll be a good move.  But I hate the process of moving!  I'm in the purging stage now with the hopes of downsizing.  The new unit is the exact same size and layout of our present place (just flip flopped to the other side of the hall) but we simply have too much stuff.  Moving day is Sept 30th.

My nephew started driver's ed. classes yesterday.  Seems like just yesterday he was 4yrs old!  He's a great kid - just growing up too fast.

Good to see everyone on here.
  • Options
    @MNNEBride  urg I hate when that happens :P My friend's oldest daughter - whom I saw grow for majority of the pregnancy - is now 9yrs old and I just kinda got floored. Uhm, no. Stop growing.
  • Options
    MNNEBride said:
    @6fsn - Love the wedding pic!  I think my aunt had the same headpiece/veil.  So glad the party went well.

I started a new position at the end of June and my workplace put a restriction on personal internet use so I haven't been around TK much.

The new position is going pretty well.  I'm in supervision now and that's different.  We have a group of 10 with lots of personalities and they work fairly well together so that's good.

In addition to settling into a new job, DH and I are moving.  We live in an apartment and are moving to the next building over but into a lower unit (we currently live on the second floor).  We need to do this because DH has mobility issues and the stairs are becoming increasingly difficult for him.  His issues mean that I carry everything upstairs - laundry, groceries, luggage, etc.  So it'll be a good move.  But I hate the process of moving!  I'm in the purging stage now with the hopes of downsizing.  The new unit is the exact same size and layout of our present place (just flip flopped to the other side of the hall) but we simply have too much stuff.  Moving day is Sept 30th.

My nephew started driver's ed. classes yesterday.  Seems like just yesterday he was 4yrs old!  He's a great kid - just growing up too fast.

Good to see everyone on here.

Congrats on the new position!  But boo to less TKing, lol.

Good luck with the move.  In college, I moved from one apartment to another one within the same complex.  I thought it would be NBD.  I'm just moving across the parking lot.  So young and naïve, lol.  It was no less PITA than any other "in town" move.  Though it sounds like your move will make life a lot easier for you all, in the long run.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just got a new computer at work and a new keyboard.  They are BOTH a lot nicer than previous.  Except now I have to enter all my passwords again for Internet stuff.  So lame and excruciating.  Amazing I made it back to TK on the first try, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I actually don't mind Costco brand toilet paper. I prefer other brands, but I can handle it. 

We had SO's brother's wedding this weekend. Man is his family a mess. His sister was late and missed the entire ceremony. His brother didn't go to the reception. I know people are entitled to go or not, but it was kind of shitty. His brother didn't even try to get it off work. His sister scheduled maintenance for the morning of the day before. The priest killed me. He was all over the place. Some of my favorite quotes: 

“People are like grapes....and marriage is like wine. You put grapes in a bottle, and then wine happens. To this day...we still don’t know how wine is made. It’s a mystery......people these days, they want to look young and attractive. People are out in West Hollywood, men look like this *makes triangle shape with his hands* the women have curves....they enjoy their young life with their 5000 one night recreational stands.  No one wants to think about real love with lines on their faces.”

Also, the priest kept looking at our row specifically when he was saying all of that. We were the youngest ones there. I was dying. I tried so hard to keep a straight face but I don't think I was very successful. 

Other than that, the wedding was fun. A lot better than expected. It was a cash bar, but that was the worst of it. 

Today is work and then dinner with with my parents. 

• Options
    Im so bored at work today. Its only 11am and the day is dragging.  Ugh.

Can some explain something to me?

I just got a FB notification that a friend is "donating their birthday to a charitable cause" 

What does that even mean?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I actually don't mind Costco brand toilet paper. I prefer other brands, but I can handle it. 

We had SO's brother's wedding this weekend. Man is his family a mess. His sister was late and missed the entire ceremony. His brother didn't go to the reception. I know people are entitled to go or not, but it was kind of shitty. His brother didn't even try to get it off work. His sister scheduled maintenance for the morning of the day before. The priest killed me. He was all over the place. Some of my favorite quotes: 

“People are like grapes....and marriage is like wine. You put grapes in a bottle, and then wine happens. To this day...we still don’t know how wine is made. It’s a mystery......people these days, they want to look young and attractive. People are out in West Hollywood, men look like this *makes triangle shape with his hands* the women have curves....they enjoy their young life with their 5000 one night recreational stands.  No one wants to think about real love with lines on their faces.”

Also, the priest kept looking at our row specifically when he was saying all of that. We were the youngest ones there. I was dying. I tried so hard to keep a straight face but I don't think I was very successful. 

Other than that, the wedding was fun. A lot better than expected. It was a cash bar, but that was the worst of it. 

Sure we do:
    1. Ensure your equipment is thoroughly sterilized and then rinsed clean. ...
    2. Select your grapes, tossing out rotten or peculiar-looking grapes.
    3. Wash your grapes thoroughly.
    4. Remove the stems.
    5. Crush the grapes to release the juice (called “must”) into the primary fermentation container. ...
    6. Add wine yeast.
    Hold tight - still trying to find the perfect meme reaction for this priest.

• Options
    I just got a new computer at work and a new keyboard.  They are BOTH a lot nicer than previous.  Except now I have to enter all my passwords again for Internet stuff.  So lame and excruciating.  Amazing I made it back to TK on the first try, lol.
    This is seriously the worst.
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    levioosa said:

Sure we do:
    4. Remove the stems.
    5. Crush the grapes to release the juice (called “must”) into the primary fermentation container. ...
    6. Add wine yeast.
    the whole time I was like "but we do....because....because science." 

Now I keep puzzling over this, lol.  Why, why does he think it's a mystery?  I bet they had a pretty good idea how/why wine happens even back in Biblical times.

I'm picturing his instructions.  Put some grapes in a wine bottle.  Leave it sitting somewhere for a few weeks.  Come back to gross, molded grapes and a lot of flies and ants.  "Darn you grapes!  You were supposed to magically turn into wine."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Holy hell, @levioosa! What a hot mess. At least you got a good story.

The anniversary party sounds lovely, @6fsn, and your parents were gorgeous!

Glad your hiker is okay, @lyndausvi

I was wide awake at 5:00 this morning, no idea why. Tried to get back to sleep for about half an hour (pointless since my alarm goes off at 6:00) and finally just decided to go with it. Made some coffee, took Mutt for a walk, and actually had time to eat breakfast other than a protein bar and meditate. It was awesome! I could get used to that.

I'm trying to resist the siren song of Costco. We had a membership a couple years ago but decided to drop it because it was just the two of us and the cats, plus we were moving to the city and all the Costcos in our area are in the suburbs. Now that there are four of us in the house, plus the dog, plus the cats, I might try to sell FW on getting a membership again. We have a Gordon Food Service about ten blocks away if we really need large quantities of food and paper products. We might just use them more often. 

• Options
    @OurWildKingdom - We're DINKS, so never used to have a Costco membership, but got one this past year for their insurance rates.  DH saved $650 of his car and house insurance and I just switched too and saved $500 on my car.  It was worth a $50 membership, and we still never actually go to the store.  

• Options
    levioosa said:
    levioosa said:

Sure we do:
    4. Remove the stems.
    6. Add wine yeast.
    the whole time I was like "but we do....because....because science." 

Now I keep puzzling over this, lol.  Why, why does he think it's a mystery?  I bet they had a pretty good idea how/why wine happens even back in Biblical times.

I'm picturing his instructions.  Put some grapes in a wine bottle.  Leave it sitting somewhere for a few weeks.  Come back to gross, molded grapes and a lot of flies and ants.  "Darn you grapes!  You were supposed to magically turn into wine."

I thought this was how we make wine ...

• Options
    @levioosa , that sounds like quite a shit storm!  My husband & I went to a wedding several years ago with another awkward priest.  The priest who was supposed to officiate the wedding (and had gotten to know the couple) had a sudden family emergency and couldn't make it.  So, they got a "pinch hitter" priest, who I think has never officiated a wedding.

He started his homily by saying, "I actually work in the tribunal for the diocese.  So, I meet with couples going through divorces and seeking an annulment and work them through the process."  You definitely heard a gasp in the church.  The rest of the homily was decent; he talked about marriage advice that he has learned over the years from working in the church in this capacity.  But still ... to start a wedding homily off with commentary about divorce?   

• Options
    @holyguacamole79 he was so awkward. Also, he did the sermon on the wedding where Jesus turned water into wine, and I kept thinking "see, Jesus believed in an open bar." Lol. At least it gave us something to talk about after. He also did a ton of really long awkward pauses. I've been to a lot of masses, and there's almost always a "now we will pause for a moment of reflection," before the moment of reflection. Nope. The priest would just sit down, and then there would be awkward silence for a minute. At a few points we looked at each other thinking he had fallen asleep. 

• Options
    Is anyone familiar with Fresh Tyme?  Is it like Whole Foods?  We are getting one in our area but have never heard of it.
  • Options
    MNNEBride said:
    Is anyone familiar with Fresh Tyme?  Is it like Whole Foods?  We are getting one in our area but have never heard of it.
    Sort of like Whole Foods but much smaller - at least the ones in our area are smaller than Whole Foods.
  • Options
    MNNEBride said:
    I've been in it once.  I think it was just a regular grocery store.  I don't think it was as high priced as Whole Foods, but maybe it was just the one I went into?  Prices were decent at my store.

• Options
    @OurWildKingdom - We're DINKS, so never used to have a Costco membership, but got one this past year for their insurance rates.  DH saved $650 of his car and house insurance and I just switched too and saved $500 on my car.  It was worth a $50 membership, and we still never actually go to the store.  

I've never done it, but I've heard you can also book vacations through them for a pretty good price. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    MNNEBride said:
    Fresh thyme has awesome sale prices, but most of the stuff you would find at any store. Wednesday's are double ad day so you get two weeks of ads. They're bulk foods and fresh ground sausages are the shit though. You can also get good honey, vinegars, and fresh ground peanut butter. I cannot do a full weeks shopping there though